main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Happy Thanksgiving my friends.

2. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Alright, now it feels real.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It felt super real when I started getting "Ramza the boards are down" emails, which was precisely the point when I remembered that the trailer was probably up.

Penguinator likes this.
  4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Hey Ramza, the boards were down. :p

[​IMG]

5. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Hey guys, there's a trailer up :p

6. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002

Ooooh.. A ghost!! :p

;)

7. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    @Sarge221. I've watched the trailer about 20 times at least......I can't get enough.

8. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    That's Force Ghost. :p

9. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Certainly can't wait to see more although I can't help but be nudged a bit uncomfortably due to certain details. Already knew about the new Stormtrooper helmet and didn't mind it at first until I actually saw that brief look and their E-11s - or some blasters - looked a bit too toy-like :p Gonna have to get used to the new X-Wing pilot helmets as well. On the other hand: X-WINGS! [face_hypnotized] And they kept the orange flightsuits [face_laugh] And the new look of the lightsabers - or at least the one we saw - isn't going too well for me either.

Granted, I'm a bit pessimistic when it comes to new things in Star Wars but don't get me wrong; I'm still totally stoked to see it back on the big screen. And it is only a teaser so we'll see how much more is unveiled during the coming year. Now that we have an official release date I can finally be psyched about it.

10. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Agreed, brother. Agreed![face_dancing]

11. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    The only thing I was uneasy about is the mention of "the light", which hints at some deeper philosophical interpretations that I won't get into here, but it's notable that this is already the first Star Wars film to explicitly mention a "light side" (IIRC, the closest we'd come was Luke talking about a "good side" to Yoda).

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm partial to the Lighter Side of the Force.

[​IMG]

13. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    I was a bit underwhelmed by the trailer. Nice to see footage, but two faces, a generic dark cloaked guy and a bunch of XWing and Falcon shots ... well, nothing new or unexpected ... only the shaky-cam stormtrooper shots kinda had me interested. A new visual style? Didn't expect that! Can't wait for the first found footage SW spin-off ;-)

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Actually, three faces.

greyjedi125 likes this.
  15. HunterPrime

HunterPrime Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2004
    Liked the new 'toys'.

Cant wait to see more.

16. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    I see what you did there :p

Look on the bright side, it could've been worse.

Ananta Chetan and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  17. Exar Koon

Exar Koon Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2014
    I I like almost everything about the trailer the new armor for the Storm troopers, the new pilot helmet the speeder, but then you get the to lightsaber, I am not even bothered by the crossguard( though its placement could be a little more ergonomic) its just the effects for it, the noise and the visuals...and I hated that why would you change that you keep all the other sounds for the speeder and the droid and the X-wings but you change the most icon technology of Star Wars, but then I thought its not a lightsaber its a successor some kinda of plasma saber.....thoughts?

Sarge221 likes this.
  18. Exar Koon

Sep 16, 2014
    ew, no found footage!

19. Exar Koon

Sep 16, 2014
    Also this

[​IMG]

20. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    I'd have to agree that the lightsaber was really the one thing that I was most uncomfortable with. The Stormtrooper and pilot helmets were different but kind of natural in a way what with this movie - supposedly - taking thirty years after the Empire's fall so changes are going to occur (even if they didn't in the EU [face_plain] ). At least they kept - so far - a lot of the sound effects that we grew up around.

But the most iconic symbol of Star Wars?

Come on.....

Personally, my current headcanon is that the saber we saw is a more makeshift lightsaber. I mean we don't know who the cloaked man is and he could be some up-and-coming dark sider with no real formal training. I mean the crossguard I have no problem with as we have seen a TON of different styles of lightsabers but the blade rubs off on me as a bit...unstable. Just seems odd to me they'll keep the effects of a lot of the other stuff (X-Wings, speeders, TIE Fighters, the Falcon, etc.) but not the lightsaber.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway :p

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  21. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Well...

While I can't personally confirm this, I have read on another website that a writer tweeted that the saber is an unrefined hack-job basically. The 'crossguard' is a set of vents designed to...vent...excess heat and energy. Makes a certain amount of sense, if one assumes this Dark Jedi/Sith is untrained. Can't confirm that though.

Sarge221 and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  22. Exar Koon

Sep 16, 2014
  23. Exar Koon

Sep 16, 2014
    I have been trying to contact you since i signed up for this forum.

24. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Well indeed :p

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I dunno, that seems like it leads far too easily to a comedy option.

"Oh, dammit, the blade's unstable. I know, I'll add vents dangerously close to my hands! What could possibly go wrong?!"

That said I'm 110% sure the real rationale was that they thought it looked visually distinctive and/or cool.

Penguinator likes this.