main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Because I've never played DuckTales... and now I can.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking of the vidya, since the latest patch inadvertently junked my saves, I've taken the opportunity to restart my CK2 campaign using a couple of tweaking/enhancing mods, and I've got to say, I don't think I can go back to vanilla. Intrigues in particular are way better now, there are more provinces on the map which is an immediate boon to balance, and while I'm not expanding quite as rapidly as I did in my first playthrough, I've made the small amount of expansion I have made much more secure.

... Mostly by stealing titles from low loyalty counts. I am basically the Irish county equivalent of Hal Jordan right now.
    [​IMG]

3. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Not gonna lie. An anime about young high school girls driving WWII-era tanks turned out to be much more awesome and much less ridiculous then I expected :p

[​IMG]

*looks up* .......Well that's still awesome [face_cowboy]

4. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    That poor, poor Hetzer :p

5. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Worth being nearly crushed if it means to take out the one and only Maus super-heavy tank :p

6. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    The Maus is overrated. I'd rather have an IS-4.:cool:

:p

7. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    To be fair, the IS-4 came later :p Even if the Maus only had two prototypes that never made it into service.

8. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    It would have been ridiculous to have seen the Maus try and perform in actual combat. If mechanical or supply problems wouldn't have stopped it cold, then a couple of foot soldiers certainly would have...or an IL-2.

And let's not forget the Ratte:

[​IMG]

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The Maus - the Porsche-designed tank? Wow.

The Ratte is inconceivable. Assuming of course that they had the resources to build something on that scale (which they didn't), they'd have pulled a Tiger and overdone it to the point of being completely economically viable and oh dear I've gone cross-eyed.

10. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    That's why we got the Maus :p

And lulz dat Maus.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    SAGE FOR CANCER KILLING /m... wait a tic.

Whatever, my copy of The Origin came today - well, yesterday, whatever. Everything is fantastic. [face_dancing]

12. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    So how bout dat......METAL GEAR!?

[face_cowboy]

Penguinator and Ramza like this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Shocking no one, Phantom Pain is MGS5, I see.

And we're also Big Boss again, which is nice.

Penguinator likes this.
  14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    One of the many franchises I never got into.

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    MGS just combines good gameplay with ridiculously PoMo storylines and tropes. Great fun all around.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So you're saying it's quite enjoyable on the whole, then?

Edit: Going back to this for a bit:
    Yeah, so, those titles get passed off to my kids - which led to an unfortunate issue where my half-brother controlled a county I wanted, and we hated each other. Said half-brother was eight at the time. So I pass him off to the local bishop for schooling, which makes me good, good friends with said bishop. Good enough to rope him into a plot.

Say, a plot to kill a potential rival.

So I set up a diabolical scheme with this bishop to, um, resolve the issue, and within the month an interesting little event crops up. It's pretty straightforward.

[​IMG]
    The things I do for minor territorial acquisitions.

It worked, but the Bishop got caught in the act - stupid bastard - which gave me a "righteous imprisonment" notification. So I throw him in jail and revoke his title - which I then give to my only other brother, who, at age 3, has been "sentenced" to permanent celibacy, the cloth, and removal from any claims on any territories.

And what do I feel after all of this?

Smug satisfaction.

I love this game. :p

Saintheart and Penguinator like this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Confound this dead Hooper's, it drives me to drink!

[​IMG]

18. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I am seeing A$AP Rocky live next month. Why? Because I can.

[​IMG]

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So I finished BioShock Infinite, and while it's not the first game to bring tears to my eyes (MGS4, MGS3 and Mass Effect 3 broke me long ago :p), my word...

This moment in the game is absolutely beautiful and profound. You enter this room, and there's a young starving boy who runs from you and Elizabeth. You see a guitar and walk up to it - and it prompts you to press a button to play it. So you sit down and start picking out notes as Elizabeth hums a tune, and you start playing this beautiful song with her, and it feels so natural and spontaneous. And it's absolutely a tear jerker, a beautiful moment, and...yeah.

I dunno, maybe to others it didn't mean much, but being a guitarist myself, it felt like this moment where everything in the world is going wrong, so what can you do but play? It's an escape, and a way to deal with what's weighing you down. For me, it was this absolutely perfect moment in the game.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the performers for the song are the voice actors. What a beautiful moment of immersion and emotion and narrative.

20. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    Meanwhile, I'm just over here playing Saints Row the Third.....

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    *sees BioShock Infinite, scrolls down really fast to avoid spoilers* :p I'm in the middle of it right now, so far it's pretty great. No game has ever summoned the man tears yet, though (Red Dead Redemption came the closest).

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Man tears nothing, MGS4 reduced me to ugly sobbing. Ugly, ugly sobbing.

And then it was all a troll anyway.
    ... Until it wasn't.

[​IMG]

:_|

Penguinator likes this.
  23. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Bah, MGS4. I was crying for a good while because of that ending :_|

But that was mostly due to the fact that MGS4 had an unfair advantage over me concerning something that happened irl [face_not_talking]

...Not that I wouldn't have cried mind you. I just probably wouldn't have done so for as long as I did :p

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    ME3, when
    Mordin makes his heroic sacrifice
    I was weeping.

Actually, I find whenever I'm really down/vulnerable IRL, things affect me a hell of a lot more.

Also, I get really really invested in movies I watch, so, yeah. When Han swoops in to help Luke at the end of ANH? I get tears of joy, man.

25. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I've only cried in three movies ever. If you can guess which three... you're probably psychic. Because they're very random and two of them aren't particularly known to make people cry.