main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Jedi Battlemaster Drallig

Jedi Battlemaster Drallig Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 23, 2017
  2. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    spacelady Is already there. :p

But you're definitely right about DRL, Ktala, it seems unusually strong in the JC lately. But hopefully it eases up on its warpath soon.

3. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, man, that's right, the Super Bowl is on Sunday. I'll need to remind myself to not order my usual pizza.

5. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    It would be a long wait if you do. :p

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I actually did forget about an NBA Playoff Game 7 once wrt pizza ordering. Never again.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  7. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Yeah, championships and ice storms are never a good time to order pizza delivery. :p

8. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    no, very much not. not that i ever order pizza in the first place, but you know. i'd probably just go buy something at the grocery.

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Just wait for the game to START.. and then go grocery shopping.
    Or else you get killed by the crush of folks trying to get last minute supplies before
    the game starts. :p

Oh what fun!!

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm probably just going to go out to eat somewhere without mounted televisions.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  11. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    so somewhere really upscale or a fastfood joint. because around here i can't think of a single middle of the road place that doesn't have tv's tuned to sports.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Hint: on a grad student salary it's never the former. :p

A Blind Prophet likes this.
  13. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    I'll be spending most of the time at a dance convention at a hotel. So, I hope to find a power outlet near the ballrooms and just set up camp to play video games.

14. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    I'm taking my daughter to a movie Sunday evening precisely because of how empty it will be :p

15. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    You could come sit at the darned hotel all weekend with her too. :rolleyes:

16. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i think i've been to an "upscale" place exactly once in my life, and that was like right after i got married. so yea... i feel you there.

17. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Now that I know how to make pizza, I won't ever buy again. :D

Darth_Elu likes this.
  18. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Are you going to make some pizza for Super Bowl Sunday then, spacelady? ;) :D

[​IMG]

19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Real talk, is the Super Bowl like a trophy or a cup? Is it referring to an actual ceremonial bowl of some sort? What do you hoist over your head in victory?

20. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    Penguinator a trophy that looks nothing like a bowl. it's a football on a pedestal, basically.

i think the bowl thing comes from the college games, because the championship used to be in the rose bowl stadium in california and it just kind of stuck in general. don't quote me on that, as i haven't ever really looked that closely and it's been years, but that's what i seem to remember. the rose bowl predates the super bowl by a bit, as before that it was just the championship game. then marketing happened.

also, there's this secondary definition: US
    a stadium for sporting or musical events.
    "the Hollywood Bowl"
    synonyms: stadium, arena, amphitheater, colosseum
    "the Hollywood Bowl"
    • a football game played after the regular season between leading or all-star teams.
      "their last four bowl games"

21. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    [​IMG]

The Vince Lombardi Trophy, named after one of the greatest head coaches of all time in american football history.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the whole 'bowl' thing originated because the stadiums they play in are mostly fashioned in a bowl shape and because its the grand championship, its 'super.'

Super Bowl. And there you go.

22. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    the whole bowl thing i know for a fact came from the rose bowl, both stadium and game, but how it translated to the super bowl i'm not that sure.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It does indeed come from the Rose Bowl, albeit in a somewhat convoluted way as the Pro Bowl borrowed the term and the Super Bowl borrowed from that.

The trophy itself is the Lombardi Trophy; it's named after the legendary Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi, as the Packers won the first two ever Super Bowls (oh god I didn't have to Google any of that send help).

Mitth_Fisto and Darth_Elu like this.
  24. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    oh yea... forgot about the pro bowl bit... which is just... weird. on so many levels.

and if you care about football history at all and didn't know that, then you'd have a real problem. :p if you don't care, and know that, then you know too many football fans.

the real question, can you name the QB of those two teams? or running backs? or wideouts?

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sir are you questioning my ability to recall someone with as kicking rad of a name as Bart Starr? :p