main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002

*STEALS* [face_skull]:p

2. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    LOL!

You can have one too, grey....

For anyone else, you can try this....

[​IMG]

Java Juice!!

3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Haha. That's my text tone when Wanderguard messages me, because he hates Jawas for some reason. :p

twowolves and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  4. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

M'um m'aloo! (Greetings!)

:p

Mitth_Fisto and greyjedi125 like this.
  5. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Hmmmm.

Looks like my current job search.

Here...

**slides over some blue milk*.....

[​IMG]

Yummm....

twowolves, QueenSabe7 and greyjedi125 like this.
  6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Ah man...

*flops down in the nearest vacant chair*

I miss writing, you guys. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

The Vanguard, Sinrebirth and Ktala like this.
  7. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002

Ahhh. I hear ya Reynar!!!

*Pours ya a Han Solo.....

[​IMG]

But yes, its getting harder to find the time, some days.

:D

8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    It'd be cool to have a thread for simply exercising your writing. Strictly IC with no OOC chatter, but open ended, no structure, where anyone can come in and just write. A short post, a long post, small vignettes of ideas they've had kicking around with no games to set them loose. Just something to sharpen your skills with. Mostly just solo one-offs, or someone could drop in and write an unprompted IC response to someone's short story with a story of their own. Think of it like a basketball gymnasium, a goal on each side. Each thread in the RPF is an active basketball game, with rules, participants, and referees to keep everything in line. This thread would be an empty gym, no games going on, no audience cheering on their favorite team. You just walk in, and it's dark inside, silent. You flip on the lights, pick up a ball, and shoot around on your own for a little bit. Maybe someone comes in and joins you, maybe you finish up by yourself. And when you're done, you put the ball down, turn the lights off on your way out, leaving the door unlocked for someone else to come in and shoot around.

Would be cool for those of us lurkers without enough time to commit to a game, but would still like to drop in some stories every once in a while.

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Hey @Reynar_Tedros ,

That sounds like something we used to do in the Fan Fiction section many, many years ago. I dont know if that would qualify as an RPG... but it sounds rather fun. I guess it would be similar to the lightsaber fighting thread.... walk in , challenge someone, and go for it kinda thing.
    :D

twowolves likes this.
  10. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, but maybe without the "challenge" part. Less about endless combat, more about cultivating unique stories that don't fit within the confines of a typical RPG. For the longest time I've wondered what a game would look like without a GM, or a plot, or a character sheet template, or guidelines beyond general forum-wide rules. Where it just sort of starts, and the next person can continue in whatever way they like, without the pressure of having to keep up with an overarching story thread and countless posts as long as novellas. For example, I could just come in and write several paragraphs from the perspective of a lone patron in a quiet restaurant. Small, unassuming, nothing remarkable. And if someone else feels so inclined, they could join in as my character's waiter and begin a dialogue. Each one none the wiser to each other's backstories or personal struggles, at least at the beginning. It could be a very casual, freeform experience, with no limits as to the setting or timeframe, and it wouldn't have to adhere to a single set of circumstances. Someone wouldn't have to respond directly to my restaurant patron. They could simply write their own story, parallel to my own, open to interaction or not.

11. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Yes. That does sound very much like the fan fiction stuff.

Folks just came in, and continued the story that was started. the hardest part was setting the ... well, the setting. LOL! :p
    Once that was explained, everyone was free to add on. It would be fun to see if it would be allowed as an experiment. See how far it goes. Because it is basically more about writing and plot line development, more than anything else I guess.

Stories within stories. Could be interesting ;)

12. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Uh...

...I'm sort of doing that right now in a closed, one-to-one RP that came from the duel in one the dueling threads near Bespin...

There's a link at the end that duel to the new thread. I can't really post it here without being given the shameless pimp award: a drink from the pimp juice cup of Kali Ma.

[​IMG]

And we all know how that turned out...

Sent from my TARDIS, somewhere between the glittering C-beams near the Tanhauser Gate.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to say, I really like the sound of this. It almost reminds me of the old-style role playing I used to do on instant messenger back in the day with my friends (before I discovered the forum format that we have here). We would basically pick a genre and a character and go at it. It was anyone's guess where things would end up.

EDIT: And ugh...I wanted to reply to this sooner, but then the boards died. Glad to see we're back! :)

14. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    I poked around and there is a thread kinda like this Milliways - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe! It is a 'social' thread where you can post IC. Now it isn't as open and free from as you might have like but, I think at its core it might be what you are looking for.

Personally I would love this kind of thing, mostly so I could write characters that I haven't for a long time.

15. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    *goes to click on link*

[​IMG]

[face_thinking]

galactic-vagabond422 likes this.
  16. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Link is fixed, posted it before rushing off to work.

twowolves likes this.
  17. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Well. [face_dunno]

Other folks coming in and continuing a story sounds like roleplaying to me! Maybe what I'm looking for is too fanfiction for roleplaying, and too roleplaying for fanfiction? :p Maybe I'll go poke around over there, although I haven't ventured into those parts since the early days of the NSWFF board.

Sinrebirth , Ktala and twowolves like this.
  18. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Not Safe...With...Fire...Famm-o...?

Sent from my TARDIS, somewhere between the glittering C-beams near the Tanhauser Gate.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  20. twowolves

Oct 6, 2013
    Ohhhhh...gotcha. :cool:

The Vanguard and Sinrebirth like this.
  21. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    I havent played in fan fiction in ages...

Guess you could ask, and see if that is something that could be set up in the RPG...since it IS rpging...

Just a very free form. I would be nice to have someplace to post, where you are not stuck having to wait. Sounds like a great experiment to me! ;)

Sinrebirth and HanSolo29 like this.
  22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't think it would have to be moved to fanfic. It seems like a good experiment to try out here. It certainly fits.

Have you tried taking it to Sinrebirth or Penguinator to see what they have to say?

Sinrebirth , twowolves and Ktala like this.
  23. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    It was one of those things where the duel was getting so drawn out we were clogging up the dueling thread, so we moved to our own thread in the RPF so we could annoy the ever living crap out of each other without bothering anyone else. :p Right now the story is pretty narrow so it's just the two of us trying not to murder each other. [face_devil]

And greetings, denizens of the RPF. :vader:

24. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I remember a game like this ... a but line this ... a while back everyone picked up a character and ran with it with no GM involved. I think a user called Coruscant set it up. It was fun until player interaction demanded some sort of regulating force. But if the rule is "unlimited Godmodding is allowed" that would mean players know what they are going into. Could work. Also everyone jumping in and "ruining" the story some people have in mind could be a problem. Usually people have a story in mind. So you have to manage expectations there.

And yes, waiting can damned hard. I was absent for a while before The Crossing lured me back in and I had completely forgotten how hard this can be ...

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'd be very approving of anything of the sort. I've always wanted a vaguely IC-OOC game whereby you acknowledge that you're assuming your persona, logging in, and then logging out, and it just be nice and unfocused and relaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk