main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Kaleesh-Cyborg

Kaleesh-Cyborg Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 4, 2017
    And now I'm seeing a Toy Story flashback...
    [​IMG]

2. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    *peeks in the doorway

Remember the days when the RPF was two pages deep with active games and people used to get in trouble for "bumping" their threads?

Nice to see the regulars still around tho

3. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    It’s still alive and there’s some awesome games. :)

4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I can't imagine having so few to choose from!:p
    Many new games lately, all of which catch the eye. Shame I don't have the time to join all.:)

5. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    An
    Any recommendations? I love a good game but find it daunting to join a long established storyline.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  6. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Just my 2 cents but I suppose it would depend on what you're looking for.
    There are lots of star wars games, though also a recent trend of different genre's popping up.

Candlewood by @SirakRomar started a couple months ago but is a very good horror games. Nothing too scary yet but I'm sure she's got something up her sleeve.
    I just started an Assassins Creed game where players can explore 14th century Europe. (Not to toot my own horn.)
    New Sith Trials III is the third iteration of that game, and has a very large player base. I'm sure Lady B can elaborate more on that.
    Legacy of the Guardians is an extension of the Guardians of Light, but accepts players from all over.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Candlewood is still open for players and early enough to join, so if it is your kind of game shoot me a PM @Kalio_Dynkos

Otherwise I think ConservativeJedi had a good list above. There are also some upcoming games I believe. Rumors have it a Star Wars game launches pretty soon.

8. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Every game I recommended I participate in.
    Mostly because I think that gives more sway to my words.
    There are surely other great games out there.

I will also point out that despite the fact that I did not join, the Reckoning looks fascinating. @HanSolo29 ;)
    There is of course the fact that the player cap has been exceeded, but I didn't join when it was available because I'm already in so many games I'm afraid I might start neglecting the ones I'm already a part of. In any case I will most certainly be watching it with great interest.:)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  9. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    Awesome! I'll look them over! Thanks!

What do you guys account for the lower numbers on the RPF? Not that it's a bad thing to have a core of good 'uns like yourselves.

10. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    You’re welcome to PM me if you want details on the NST III. :) We are certainly able to accommodate new players and there are several intermingling story lines. It’s a non-daunting game. :)

I wish I had more time because there are several other excellent games running, and all have reliable GM’s. It’s fun to keep up with their games and I enjoy the talent here.

I’m not sure about the exact reason for a decline in participation, but there’s always a drop off at various times of the year. Keeping things fresh, exciting, and positive is what I look for and will participate in.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  11. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Lower numbers on the boards in general maybe, but I think there’s just not enough promotion of the RPF and so not enough interest is generated.

Maybe part of it is the cliquish nature... it seems like people are hesitant to branch out into games GMed by people they aren’t really familiar with, and so it’s hard to get and keep a game going if you’re a new GM.

12. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    That's an astute point! I would have to agree with that.

HanSolo29 and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    That certainly is a major factor. Only the most stubborn new GM's survive.[face_whistling]
    (I speak from experience:p)

14. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    Haha! You, go! Show em how it's done.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Time is a precious commodity that few people have a lot of, myself included. Whenever I peek in at a game I might be interested in joining, and see walls and walls of text and many users participating, I realize that there's no way I'd be able to catch myself up and keep up once I got there, so I abstain from joining. That's why I jumped on Candlewood when it launched, because it seemed to be a small-scale game in a modern day setting in which I'd be able to keep my head above water, fingers crossed (and admittedly I don't even keep up with plotlines unrelated to my character in that game). And I can see where @Darth_wanderguard is coming from when he talks about the forum's cliquish nature. I hardly know anyone here aside from a few familiar faces, and they seem to only lurk, and it seems like an almost impenetrable community. I think that's in part due to the TFN forums' atrocious design compared to the old IGN boards, and the off-site stuff we used to have like RPFChat on AIM that are no longer around (to my knowledge). The social threads are also catatonic most of the time (and @PRENNTACULAR isn't even around to kill them himself anymore).

I don't mean to rag on the RPF or anything, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the days when a bunch of us were able to shoot the **** in RPFChat and I'd keep submitting banners to @Imperial_Hammer that never seemed to fit what he was looking for but I enjoyed it anyway (whereas now we just have the same banner in every forum and the color scheme is as dull as a hospital waiting room, definitely not designed by the masterful @Tyi-Maet_Nefer). And of course the internet was a much different place eleven, twelve, thirteen years ago. Netflix and social media weren't nearly as prevalent, and there weren't as many distractions in those days. Now there's so much damn stuff to do, it's hard to keep a tight community together and thriving in one place.

[​IMG]

16. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    Probably the best answer I've seen. And you're totally right 12-13 years ago, my life was different and so was the general feeling of the RPF. What with the huge inter-connected games and the community aspect, it seems like the RPF was always growing.

I also concur with the thoughts about games with walls of text and pages to get get through. The only game I really contribute to on occasion is GAW - which is largely connected to the fact that I jumped into it a decade ago. So it's like slipping back into that glove, rather than trying to recreate the wheel in somebody else's universe. Yeah. I get that. Good thoughts.

Here's hoping it can resurrected, though. RPF just needs a little love and it'll be booming again.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The RPF is definitely a very different animal than it was years ago. It's evolving like everything else. We recently had a bit of a resurgence (the past year or two), and we have seen some amazing games in that time, but things are still not quite what they were. The 2006-2012 timeframe was really something special. I don't think we can ever replicate that again, nor should we try to. All we can hope for is to ride the current wave into the future and build the RPF into something new. I think we're well on our way. Heck, just the past few months have seen a crazy upsurge in new games. It's a great thing to see!

I will say, though, that I really miss the in-depth discussions that used to take place in the Resource forum – the Game Designers Thread, GM thread, etc. They were all great tools for people to share their ideas and offer advice to those looking to improve their skills. A lot of great things have happened in there over the years. I would love to see some of that return alongside the OOC threads that are in there now.

Oh, and I saw you mentioned the RPFChat – who could forget that? Good times! ;)

18. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Whippersnappers...

19. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    The "old days" had their own problems. Many of which we have overcome nowadays. And numbers have been recovering slowly - remarkable considering @Darth_wanderguard is right about us not exactly promoting the forum - but one thing should be recognized about these boards. We got great games. We have a steady inflow of games people enjoy and join and lately we had a lot of games concluded. Four I count. That means four games to which players and GMs stayed loyal to for months to see it through to the end. Look at other post-by-post sites and they are still talking about that one game that had actually a finale ten years ago! So we got a good quality here.

And even in the haydays of the forum, we had games that did not find an audience. It is always a mix of factors that decide about this. Right now we got a player market, with more games out there than anyone can join.

Nevertheless the "Flagship" game served a purpose for the community. Everyone was in there, playing big plots or carving out their own niches. No idea why we don't have them anymore. Maybe it is because of what happened to the Star Wars franchise itself.

20. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    There is something to be said with completed games. I, for one, love it when a game ends. Back in the days of the RPF HoloNet, I was always a fan of when an arc finished. I've also liked artful GMs.

The old days went through a lot of experimentation. Of course, it was pre-new saga and I think in many ways the fan base was less concerned with toeing a line. Star Wars was something many fans felt like they owned and in the RPF, it thrived.

But, that experimentation also had its issues. There were a lot of dead-end games or storylines that would just peter out into "is this still active"?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    LordTroepfchen and DarthIshyZ like this.
  21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    In 13+ years on these boards I've never once been part of a game that "finished," but that hardly diminishes all the fond memories I have of fun games I participated in. Trying is fun! If I had the time to run a game of my own I'd do it a lot more (maybe one of these days I'll work out a way to launch the TMNT game I really want). I used to have a text document on my computer with pages of ideas.

22. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    As with TV shows and movies, I think it comes down to the writers (GMs in the case of the games). If they have an endpoint in mind when they create it, they'll get there. If they don't know what they're planning going in it'll wander until it's *ahem* LOST. (Ya hear me, JJ Abrams?!?)

Kalio_Dynkos likes this.
  23. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    That's not an entirely fair assessment considering it takes active players to finish a game. A GM could have a specific end goal in mind and not be able to get there because of players who drop off. Granted that could be the GM's fault for not keeping their interest, but that's certainly not always the case. The curse of a collaborative medium.

24. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    So coming to the end point is also a collaborative achievement, I'd say. It needs both players and GM to do this. Actually there probably never was a game that saw all players stay to the very end I guess.

I haven't managed to end a game so far I must say (also I totally intend with my current one and got a good feeling there), but I played in games that finished. It is always special to see an end to your journey. No doubt. These kind of games always have a special place in your heart. But I was in great games that never made it to the end and I also have fond memories of many of those.

25. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I've been part of a few games that have finished. Most of which I joined very late.
    Black Sun reached a proper conclusion.
    The Shadow War ended (Granted by the end it pretty much had a completely new cast of characters than when it started).
    I've survived both NST and NST II.

I hope to see the end of all the games I'm a part of now.:p