main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Seriously though, folks. Folks, seriously.

[​IMG]

Saintheart likes this.
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    THEY'RE A CORPORATE ENTITY! :p

4. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I'm assuming, of course, you got the Extended Cut version of the game. The terrifying part of it is that if that's what you just endured, that's the improved version.

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Corporate

Entity

:p

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I. . .wow.

Now that all the rage is subsiding (for the moment), I am just feeling exhausted. I think this is the first time it felt worse to beat a game than to lose it.

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Go read Superman/Batman in anticipation of the upcoming Batman/Superman title. It'll help relax anyone, regardless of stance on ME3.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Clearly you never played Ninja Gaiden III on the NES. Sure, there's plot resolution, but then the existential horror sets in: you just beat Ninja Gaiden III. There are no more mountains to climb. There is no game that can ever truly overpower you in the face of your own determination and resolve. Everything can be conquered. What then? What now?

You go to the mirror. You look at the face in it. You don't recognize it.

You don't recognize it.

9. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Put it this way, how Bioware handled the complaints didn't exactly help the process: their forum, BSN, basically turned into a fire in a ... um ... firework factory in the months following, and they tended to adopt a policy of locking threads or banning users who criticised the ending or called out the PR strategy employed in the wake of the endings. Imagine the rage you're feeling like that constantly reinforced, brought back up, and amplified by people turning to youtube and other outlets to broadcast their feelings about all this. One guy even made a FTC complaint about the game due to the end (rejected). To this day there are still threads about the ending running over at BSN.

But at the end of the day, yes. I can empathise with how you're feeling. But it's all okay, because it is Art. :rolleyes:

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Best game I ever played was Art. It consisted of throwing paintings down the hallway at an open flame. 5 points if you made it in, 1 point if it got singed. Double or nothing on the Rembrandts.

So yeah, I'm not allowed in the Louvre anymore. :(

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I was wondering who wrote "YOU ARE JUST A SET" all over Michelangelo's "John the Baptist". Thanks for clearing that up. :D

...Oh, hey: 9,991 posts! After 12 years registered, I'm going to crack five figures!

Ramza likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Soon you, too, can have this kind of grey-blue star that honestly makes it seem like you have fewer posts than the people with five stars!

13. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I will miss my little crown, yes. :D

14. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Wait...what were you guy's talking about? Mass Effect 2 was the last one.

(to this day, I still deny ME 3. Haven't played it, and prefer to think ME 2 was the ending)

15. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    As a whole, ME3 was a pretty awesome game. It's hard to remember the enjoyment, the at-edge-of-seat excitement, and a couple, legitimate, tear-jerker moments over that all-consuming, venom-spitting RAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGE but I do remember having a lot of fun with the game before getting sucker punched by the ending.

And I admit that the extended ending that they released was, at the very least, better and maybe if I saw that one first I wouldn't have gone through that cycle of being completely stupified and then RAAAAAAAGGGGGE! In any case, at least it showed they tried >.>

.......Space God Child still needs to die though.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Considering there was a point in ME3 where I openly wept because of a character, I will say it delivered as far as my expectations are concerned.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Now that I have had time to rest, my rage is fully recharged. The thing is, the proposition at the end didn't make sense.

The games never established anything about an inherent conflict between humans and AIs. There's not even a rational basis for any sort of existential conflict between the two groups. Rather, as Tali explained quite elegantly in the first installment, the problem is that the machines are basically designed to do menial or at best socially undesirable tasks. Therefore, making them sentient would result in what is basically a slave society, being deeply unfulfilling for the AIs and unjust on the part of the organics. Critically, this has nothing to do with what sort of life each group is. It's a characteristic of the social structure. It's wrong and generates conflict for the same reasons that slavery is wrong and conflict-generating in organic societies. None of the "solutions" offered by the idiotic dream boy really address that, since in every case there are still socially undesirable tasks that someone will have to do, no matter what the nature of life is.

Also, the set-up is incredibly sloppy and stupid. If the goal is to prevent human/machine conflicts, why are the Reaper interventions so ill-timed? Javik says the Protheans had basically defeated their machine rebellion by the time the Reapers struck. In the present cycle, the Quarrians and Geth had been at war for several centuries. So what exactly did the Reapers spare the Galaxy, in either case?

Just. Why.

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    And behold! Saintheart has reached 10,000 posts. [face_party]

It's been a long, fun ride to get to this day. I've lost count of the number of good people I've met on here, and indeed I miss all of them who've moved on to other things. I can't believe I've been here that long. Thanks to everyone for, um, getting me to this point!

Rampani likes this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You couldn't have done it without you, Saint.

.... Wait.

Seriously though, welcome to the 10k+ club!

20. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I still got less then three and a half thousand to go >.> Congrats on finally reaching that milestone Saint!

21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Approximately 2,800 for me.

22. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Well done Saint! ^:)^

And in news of my own (related to Real Life, and thus probably more boring, but I'm excitied) I have been offered a new flat, which means a chance to get out of supported housing and into true independence AND have just applied for a job that I've been doing in a voluntary role for the past seven months, and am thus very hopeful about getting!

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Congratulations! Independent living is the bomb.

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    As is paid employment. Way to go, Rampani!

25. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    :p [face_tee_hee] [face_rofl]

Check the username again, Sainty...

or have I been assuming other identities in my sleep again?