main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    HAHAHAHA!!!

Well, in that case...

I'll just...

[​IMG]

2. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    Personally, I've been reading through Bendis' and Maleev's run on Daredevil, which thankfully my library has the collected editions of. I just wish they had Brubaker's subsequent run on the character :(. Haven't read those either, but I know they lead to Shadowland, Lady Bullseye, etc. Though they do have all of the most recent stuff by Waid :D

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think I preferred Brubaker's run, but I liked Bendis' a lot. Though I'm not sure how much of that was quality and how much of that was its coming after...

... other...

[​IMG]

... other things...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Waid > all other DD runs.

Rampani likes this.
  5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I agree, although anything is better than...

than...

[​IMG]

than...

[​IMG]

than...

[​IMG]

6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Speaking of, did you read the latest DD yet? Oh man, this is why Waid is amazing.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It was a bit Batman but, yeah, it's a great issue.

Unlike...

unlike some...

[​IMG]

some...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last time, I promise.

Also, rather hilariously, Una Furtiva Lagrima is used for tragic scenes when it shows up in media, but it's actually about a man slowly realizing that the woman he's in love with loves him back, in spite of everything that's happened. It's super happy.

8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I actually got to read Kingdom Come in the past few days.

It was rather nice. :D

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That comic made me a Spectre fan before I even knew who the Spectre was. Needless to say I consequently misinterpreted a certain epilogue scene a bit. :p

Because, no, contrary to what you might think you're seeing, Jimmy Corrigan is still quite dead. Albeit back to his goofier, 60's calmness about the matter.
    It's something of a shame there was never a sequel. Some people assured me once that I had read one, and that it was terrible, but of course no such thing ever happened. Still, I guess better there be no sequel than risk a wretched one, right?

... Right?

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I just wanna say, Chris Pratt (who portrays the loveable goofball Andy Dwyer on Parks and Rec) seems pretty committed to his role as Star Lord in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.

[​IMG]
    On the left, Pratt's physique for the movie. On the right, his regular build, as seen in Parks and Rec. WOW.

11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Yup, it's the Hollywood Guns arms race. Henry Cavill started it, now they're all doing it...

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    He's normally just an average joe, but he got muscley for Zero Dark Thirty, went back to average, and is now GETTING ALL THE MUSCLES

EDIT: And really, Chris Hemsworth's shirtless scene in Thor started it :p

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Regardless of who started it, I can't complain.

14. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    That deserves an image if I had to see the darn eyeball thing Ramza posted earlier.

[​IMG]

Ramza likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

s65horsey likes this.
  16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I couldn't take it any longer. The Portrait of a Lady made a large, satisfying thump as it struck the far wall. Don't judge me. I gave it eighty to one hundred pages over a period of a couple of months. That's quite enough for me and really as much as I could endure. Henry James knows how to write and he does turn the odd pretty phrase, but by the time you get to it you're left wondering what exactly the character was doing from the commencement of the paragraph two pages ago.

How the hell the editors of The Atlantic Monthly weren't all strung up from gas lanterns when they published this neutronium-dense story in serial form I will never know. Maybe it had something to do with absinthe's popularity at the time, who the hell knows. Either way, the publishers should've added a methane warning to the text, the better to clue people in on the fumes encountered as James takes his audience with him on a leisurely voyage up his own arse.

What probably was the final straw was when I picked up a copy of Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders on a lark ($2, thank you secondhand shop) earlier today. Similar concept, i.e. a novel based around a single character, i.e.e. a female character in a proud stab by a male author for feminism with a small f, and literally a hundred years older than Portrait. And, with the first sentence, which I sneaked a look at, getting more life and grit in than you get in fifty pages of James. I did pick up some notes from Henry - how you can use the way a character perceives his surroundings as saying something about the character, in particular - but the rest of it basically amounts to more solemn and, dare I say it, more class-blinkered, first-world-problems text than Jane Austen at her most pretentious.

So, yes. Might look at Turn of the Screw if it comes my way someday because it's a horror novel, but James and I did not get on. Besides, I have lots of other texts to read up on soon: The Old Man and the Sea has arrived, as has an Essential Hemingway of his short stories; Homer's Odyssey, which is coursework for Ulysses if nothing else; Hawthorne's The House of Seven Gables; the rest of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man from Joyce; and several others. For the moment, though, the next item on my reading list is First Among Equals, Jeffrey Archer, which will probably be a pretty rude slam back into the twentieth century, but it's on my list and otherwise I won't get through all my books.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'll be honest, I haven't read The House of Seven Gables. Like every American high schooler in the last thirty+ years, I had to read The Scarlet Letter, and like, I suspect, the bulk of them, I couldn't stand that ****ing book. I kept expecting it to end abruptly with "And then Nathaniel Hawthorne vanished straight up his own ass" on every page. Alas.

18. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I haven't read The House of Seven Gables either. I didn't mind the Scarlet Letter. It was much better than the magic realism garbage I had to read in AP English my senior year. 100 Years of Solitude and Like Water for Chocolate made me want to stab my eyeballs out.

Also (edit me if this isn't ok) some of the Lit folks have gotten together and started a blog style website focusing on Episode VII. I am the token female voice for opinion pieces. My first post is aimed toward female fans and is up at the website http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/

I'd love some feedback if anyone out there is interested!

And...umm..where is Sarge?

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

Nah, he's just working a lot these days.

20. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    That's ******* creepy!

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You should see it with the actual narration.

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    That frame of skull, man. That's what creeps me out.

23. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Eh, I just got me some three jobs >.> These days I tend to work night and mornings, then sleep through the day, then repeat the process. I tend to be here more on my phone while working then I am on my computer at home.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That, my good sir, is some dedication. And I can't say I blame you for posting less if you're browsing via phone, it's a huge pain.

In completely unrelated news... 5 days until SMTIV! Can't even begin to remember the last time I was this HYPE.
    [​IMG]

Pity Peng, incidentally, he has to put up with my mentioning this approximately every half hour or so in the chat. :p

Penguinator likes this.
  25. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Well that and I have no interest in your kiddy comic talk and Saint's old man readingz!

>.>

<.<