main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    "FE:A"

Sir, I think you mean "Firm Wang in 3D".

[​IMG]

Blue Haired Waifu Simulator 2013.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Waifus? No. Nazi-esque eugenics program wherein I give all my Assassins access to Galeforce and high skill caps via controlled breeding techniques, thereby turning the lategame into a comedic farce of insta-kills? Yes.

Edit: In any case I've moved on the Friend Murdering Simulator 4.

[​IMG]

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    >mocking FE:A
    >having a leg to stand on

4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Hey, it's only implying that its such a good game that by default when playing it you have a firm wang.

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Because clearly that's all female characters are for?

6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I mean, that's what you seem to be getting at.

7. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    No, I'm talking about the game in general.

You know, sort of how Megaman X makes egoraptor ROCK HARD.

But okay wow take the fun out of everything alright?

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh man, remember this prediction?
    Yeah, that happened this morning. [face_beatup]

10. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, finished Joe Haldeman's The Forever War, and yes, I did finish it in three days. It's a short book and it's a very fast read.

I'd been warned the book was basically the Vietnam War IN SPACE, and for a few pages in there I did keep getting "Lieutenant Danforth" monologues echoing in the back of my head ... but then I got into it.

The book made me sick. Sick because it went unmercifully for a faithful representation of the drudgery, mindless bureaucracy, and routine gore and death that real wars amount to, and it twisted my guts to wade through it.

Haldeman served in the Vietnam War. Robert Heinlein, who wrote Starship Troopers, was also a veteran -- US Navy, during World War Two. You can really get a sense of the two men coming from different worlds. Heinlein wrote about militaries operating from a SNAFU but still relatively efficient military. Haldeman was coming from, and wrote about, a military that was just plain SNAFU and nothing else. There's blood and guts and horror and it's addressed almost like a nonfiction book by an observer. Books by combat veterans (About Face springs to mind) seem to have this matter-of-fact tone to warfare about them, and this book is another one of them projected into science fiction. There is hard science in here -- Haldeman studied physics and astronomy at college before going to Vietnam as a combat engineer -- but it's not lovingly lingered over. Frankly the big guns get more time than the warp drives. This story is really all about a person. The lead character is a (high IQ) private who is just trying to survive or retain his humanity. He's no great paragon of human behaviour, he just has the (mis)fortune to survive throughout the war. He rings true in every detail for when you imagine what a real veteran must be like.

The book also deals most convincingly with the logistics and personal implications of travelling at relativistic speeds. After the despair-filled melancholy that fills the text, it's the best part of the book. No frickin' hyperdrive here, your ships have to accelerate and decelerate to near-luminal speeds and there's a whole apparatus that surrounds stopping your body being crushed like a sponge with the gravitational implications of that. In fact the accidents when that apparatus goes wrong are some of the most gruelling and tear-inducing in the book, because they sound a hell of a lot like poor old human technology: able to accomplish marvels but oh so horribly fallible. And then there's the chief hook of the book which gives it its name: the Forever War, because to get from star system to star system you have to go through what are called "collapsars" or wormholes by another name which move you across the galaxy without a problem, but everyone left behind on Earth still has the same frame of reference -- i.e. by the time you get back from destroying an alien base on another world, literally two hundred years could have passed while you have only aged a few months to a year. Not to mention that because of that very fact, the enemy base you set out to destroy will have a hundred years' development from when you first set out. But it's how Haldeman deals with the way society changes while the protagonist is gone that is most masterful: again, no shlock-SF lingering on THE FUTURE AND HOW AWESOME IT IS, it's done in broad, effective strokes, if pessimistic. And the character's reactions to that world are beautifully done to my mind. Matter-of-fact is about the best way I can give to describe how this book is written, and my god doesn't it work well.

Make no mistake: this is not a book about the Vietnam War. It's a book about every war. It does the same job as something like Band of Brothers or Letters from Iwo Jima in a science fiction context, and because it puts it in that context, it makes it so much more meaningful. I thoroughly recommend this book whether you're a sci-fi fan or not. I was so enthralled I didn't wind up taking notes, but I'll be back to do just that. Read this book.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So everyone gets bombarded with hydrogen atoms and dies instantly? [​IMG]

I mean, in fairness, it does all sound pretty good, but the day I read a realistic take on relativistic travel is the day I read a book that ends the sentence after the main character tries it.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  12. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I brushed over the more intricate parts, Ramza. Give it a try, that's all I suggest. This was an excellent book.

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sorry to lose actor, Dennis Farina.

Penguinator, your sig. You make an appointment with the dentist and you don't show up, believe it or not, jail, right away. We have the best patients in the world because of jail.

Where?! Where does this happen?

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a bit from Parks and Recreation.

Penguinator likes this.
  15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

It's perhaps my second-favourite talking head bit in Parks and Recreation.

16. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    So, uhhh.... I never bothered to post this, even if it is from last May, but...

My photo op with Wil Wheaton this year at Phoenix Comicon, while attempting to impersonate Gus G. (guitarist for Firewind/Ozzy Osbourne).

[​IMG]

17. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    What's up peoples? Sorry dropped off for a while there, but the games I was in all seemed to run dry. :(

18. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Sadly that's the case for a lot of games :(

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a rather unfortunately common occurrence, I'm afraid. Always has been, but kind of stings more since activity has stabilized at "a lull."

20. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    When does it usually pick back up?

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    In the fall, frequently, although activity on the whole has been on something of a decline.

22. Mr.Krypton

Mr.Krypton Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2012
    SUP PEOPLES. BLU IS BACK AND READY TO RP

23. Mr.Krypton

Mr.Krypton Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2012
    And by RP I mean bring life into the RPF again!!!

24. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Clever tale, brethren. Discuss it at the gathering... perhaps you'll be indulged in certain coital activity.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I logged into the forum today. New developments brought this to mind.

I haven't read the whole OP, but does this somehow have something to do with it (please yes)?