Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!"

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    My god, you're right, I WILL be buying Ace Attorney 5!

:p
  2. Sarge221 Jedi Master

star 5
  3. Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight

star 4
    Hi everyone, hope you're doing well. For those of you overwhelmed here's a song for you,

<Plays soft and uplifting music>

Feel better now? :D

Haha I just had to get that outta my system, I'm getting pretty frustrated with practicing guitar. Darn these dainty hands!
    Can anyone relate? I'm having so much trouble with quarter notes, lately I just sit in class and pretend to play while trying to comprehend the sheet music. :(
    Any tips for memorizing the notes? I can't even name them, I just play them. Fortunately we're staying in the first position, for now.

Anyways, welcome back all people that were gone.
  4. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    What music are you learning? I can't read sheet music, but I play guitar.
  5. Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight

star 4
    Classical guitar, just learning the first position. :D I can't even play chords.... Haha
  6. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Oh, you're learning chords?
  7. Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight

star 4
    Nah I'm learning 8th notes. Like hoe normal notes are 1 2 3 4 this is 1&2&3&4& so it's harder to play. -.- Idk if it's the learning disability I supposedly have but grrrrrrrr
  8. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Ah. Well you've got 32nd notes after that, then tremolo!
  9. Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight

star 4
    Joy, and here I am struggling with adante and getting the frets on the bass notes right.
  10. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    [IMG]

Just play Robert Johnson blues, break an old black guy out of a minimum-security prison, and head with him down to Mississippi. It'll all be fine. :D
    Penguinator likes this.
  11. Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight

star 4
    It's funny I can't even remember the songs I wanted to learn on the guitar. Trying to get everything down is difficult enough. [face_plain] Well I guess you could say I want to make songs sound different. If that makes sense.

Like, I want to play older songs and figure a way to transcribe them into guitar notes. That doesn't make much sense either. [face_sigh]

Oooh! I do want to learn the song from the end of Bioshock Infinite.

So after some brain storming I came up with these, yeah yeah they're from a romance story. :p

Last edited by Heavy Isotope, Oct 24, 2013
  12. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    @Saintheart - then Steve Vai shows up working for the Devil and just ***** everything up :p

@Heavy Isotope - having a general goal in mind is great for learning guitar. I've been playing since I was thirteen, and it all began because I wanted to play the solo from Stairway to Heaven. I still can't play it properly, but I don't really mind, because new goals and new interests (musically) came up along the road. Tremolo picking (which has the same effect as tremolo in classical guitar but is waaaaaaaaaay easier, I'm sorry, I wish you the best of luck :p ) was something I looked at and said, "I wanna do that," so I just kept at it until suddenly I could.

To put it all in RPG terms - when you pick up a guitar, you're just a lowly fighter in Dungeons and Dragons. You grind away, and you level up steadily, but the jumps aren't too common. And then at some point when you're feeling kind of aimless, you pick up the guitar and realize you became a mage somewhere along the way because now your skills are growing exponentially. Suddenly things that were hard before are easy. It's a great feeling. You wake up one day, and you think, "Wow, I can play guitar." And it's not just strumming or picking a few notes, you're skilled.

Whenever I feel bad about my playing, I look back at the first thing I learned - the main riff from Smoke on the Water, played in the wrong key, the wrong way, with one weak and wobbly finger. Everyone starts somewhere!
    Heavy Isotope and Saintheart like this.
  13. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    That's probably because only the first two levels of fighter are any good.
    Saintheart and Penguinator like this.
  14. Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight

star 4
    I haven't played D&D since I was a kid haha. But I can see what you mean, certain exercises are a lot easier than they used to be. Our previous class was funny because we were collectively struggling with the bass notes. So the instructor was getting noticeably annoyed, but he was nice about it and ended class early. Before that though he asked us to pick pieces for him to play.
  15. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Incidentally it's quite good. Even if they had to do the obligatory change with the last game's protagonist from

to
    Sarge221 likes this.
  16. cassie5squared Jedi Knight

star 2
    So, the UK is going through a hurricane. This should be interesting.

*commences frantic locking of doors and staying inside and refusing to go out under any circumstances*

[face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting]
  17. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Man, 80 mph winds. That... does not sound fun.
  18. greyjedi125 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  19. Ktala Jedi Grand Master

star 6

Wow...

Never heard of the UK having a hurricane before....

o_O

Batten down de hatches!! I hope all goes well, and it blows over quickly.
    Tornadoes are fun enough. Having a storm SIT on you is no fun at all!!

Good Luck!
  20. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Agree. Superman tends to win their fights when they're depicted in the books proper, as it were.

Now, Odinforce Thor...
    greyjedi125 likes this.
  21. Saintheart Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Odinforce Thor, you say?

Ktala likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Impressive.

Just watched this, and my vision literally went black with laughter at Teal'c's contribution:

Last edited by Sith-I-5, Oct 28, 2013
  23. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Not sure why they thought that was a good matchup, I once saw Raiden get beat up by the Joker.

... Man, that game was weird.
    Last edited by Ramza, Oct 28, 2013
  24. Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight

star 4
    Weird game-style battles at saltybet.com haha, it's a two AI's fighting with random characters. Hahaha

So is the storm over? The UK users doing ok?
    Last edited by Heavy Isotope, Oct 28, 2013
  25. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Storm is over for the south of England. Thousands without power somewhere, though London seems to be largely okay as long as you don't have to travel by train anywhere.

The storm was supposed to be heading North, but I don't know if that is the case.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza