main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Benjamin Bunny

Benjamin Bunny Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    We were supposed to see about 6" to 9" on Friday in Minnesota, but didn't see anything close to that. We are supposed to get more on Tuesday though, hopefully that happens because we can use more.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Since it doesn't look like anyone else has noticed: Benjamin Bunny, welcome to the RPF! Always good to see some new faces around, and I see you're in RPG Tech Talk at the moment...oooohh, a D&D 3.5 player. Tell me, are you familiar with Red Hand of Doom? :D

Benjamin Bunny likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Re: the Oscars, I want to get off Seth MacFarlane's wild ride. :_|

Seriously though, he's terrible.

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Glad I'm not watching it, then. :p

5. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    And I had such high hopes for Mr. MacFarlane.....

6. Benjamin Bunny

Feb 22, 2013
    Thank you!

Tech Talk is a good read, I really enjoyed it. Hopefully I can put what I learned there to good use soon.

Absolutely love 3.5, especially enjoy the ability to customize characters. I feel that 4th ed lost that, seems more about mechanics than flavor.

I am not familiar with Red Hand of Doom, sorry.

7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Ah. Good, goood... I mean, well, it's a lovely module for 3.5. You might be interested in lurking A Tide of Flames here, which is D&D 3.5 and which I run (along with assistance from a guy named Lightwarden). Been running five years now. :D

8. Benjamin Bunny

Feb 22, 2013
    I never really did much in the way of modules, most of the groups I have been in free roamed. It was fun, but we did tend to waste a lot of time that way. :p

Wow, 5 years? That is a long campaign. I will be sure to check it out, thanks for the tip! How many players do you have? Some of the games here look really big, which is just a little intimidating, I could imagine it would be hard to organize and control a large group.

9. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    It's only been a long campaign because of, well, real life for the most part. We have 8 players all up - the player roster has cycled a little bit over time, but there's a solid group of four or more who've been there since the beginning. Generally it's survived that long because of sheer awesome commitment by those (and indeed all) the players. This is about double the normal size D&D party, but you'll see people still managed to contribute. If you're going to read it from the beginning, please be kind: it was more or less my first D&D GMing effort in a serious way, and it shows. :D :D

10. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Welcome to the RPF Benjamin Bunny! Too few newcomers these days.

As for Tide of Flames...

It really is a great game. Spent I think a couple years in it myself before I was killed and Saint had the misfortune, or rather I had the misfortune of the outcome the dice dictated, to roll death by beheading, rendering the healing staff useless. Makes me both hate and love wait lists. I accumulate a lot of my growth as a role player to my time spent in Tide of Flames. One of these days I'm going to have to take the time to get caught up to where everyone is, it's a great story to just read for the entertainment value.

I've yet to find another D&D PbP game to come close to equaling, sadly most fizzle out in the first few months.

11. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Welcome to this place of crazy fun, Benjamin Bunny. :D

Regarding A Tide of Flames, I'm the last person who's joined the game so far (and that was two years ago, holy Chinese expletive!). It was my first ever experience of D&D... and I have to say it's the combination of Saintheart's storytelling and Lightwarden's endless patience for my noobish questions about "how does I attack roll?" etc. that hooked me onto D&D in general and Tide of Flames in particular.

I definitely recommend giving the campaign so far a readthrough. It's a novel in itself. :p

12. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Annnnd speaking of which, I am totally sorry for flaking for a good two months. [face_blush]

I'm hoping nobody has off'ed Corrath?

13. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Xaneh! *tackle hugs*

14. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
  15. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    What you been up to? You missed Ramza and Peng's ranting last night!

16. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Work. And more work. :( Just ... long hours, odd hours, and generally enough work that there's no more lunchbreak JC surfing. And I'm still at the place that blocks AIM, so -- yeah, no more RPFchat during the day either.

What were they ranting about? This time? :p

17. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Pfft, your haxxor skillz still haven't found a way to work around that yet? Guess you're still at the lowly level of just modding games!

But nah I understand. I picked up a third part time job and there has been two nights so far where I've gone without sleep because of it. Somehow I've managed to still have time for the forums and TERA with my friends.

And I dunno. They were going on about some silly awards that were going on last night. Apparently its pretty big. Oscars or something >.>

Penguinator likes this.
  18. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Pfft, Oscars. Never heard of 'em. <_<

Penguinator likes this.
  19. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Inorite!? >.>

EDIT: And of course, even after all this time, I still haven't achieved getting a big black star with my name <.<

20. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    You were lucky, Yuul. Your character died before mine could come along and ask him some serious questions about why Celbrandir started out worshipping the Butt-Nekkid Moondance Drow Goddess...

...But then, Celbrandir was an adolescent elf IIRC, so maybe that explains itself.:p

Yuul_Shamar likes this.
  21. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Technically speaking, I think Lightwarden picked her out for my deity, as I was still very much a noob to D&D then.

That said, I believe your explanation might cover the RP reason... [face_thinking]

I'll probably never get lucky enough to get back in it, but the novel we've written and you're continuing to write does make up for it somewhat :D

22. Benjamin Bunny

Feb 22, 2013
    Oh man, so there is a waiting list? Boo. :(

So how do I get on the list?

That makes sense. So what characters/classes do you have? I tried to read the first few posts but there seems to be stuff missing, the character list isn't complete and doesn't show what levels they are.

I will have to start reading it, it could be fun to keep up with the story and get to know how others play/write around here. Then I would know what is going on if I ever get lucky enough to play. :D

23. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    The current ToF character sheets are over here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/a-tide-of-discussion-the-d20-tof-ooc-thread.50004471/

Current roster:
    ‘Skadi’ - Sa’adi Adim, human female LG cleric of Tyr. Origin: Calimshan. (She smites the things, and generally keeps the party as orderly as she can.)
    Zanaek Grahorn, human male LG cleric of Torm. Origin: Tethyr. (He heals people. A lot.)
    Ragnar Ingvarsson, human male CN wolf totem barbarian. Origin: Icewind Dale. (Goes berserk, wrecks all the things.)
    Ariel Elandinai, avariel female CG duskblade. Origin: Aerie of the Snow Eagles. (Spends most of her time airborne.)
    Evelios D’Rtan, human male CG bard, with raven familiar Poe. Origin: Cormanthor. (Complete lunatic with a pink kilt and multiple arguing personalities.)
    Corrath Marktos, half-elf female CN rogue. Origin: Silverymoon. (Charmingly chaotic thief.)
    William Marshall, human male NG wizard, with peregrine falcon familiar Maeghen. Origin: Waterdeep. (A scholar-wizard, whose passion for learning new things is sadly in less demand than his capacity for completely dominating the battlefield with spells.)
    Mazarun Zothyrr, drow male CN fighter/wizard. With pet kitten, as yet unnamed. Origin: Menzoberranzan. (Sarcastic, amoral, and kind of fey. Good at stealth.)

Or the lineup:
    [​IMG]

:p

Saintheart and Yuul_Shamar like this.
  24. Benjamin Bunny

Feb 22, 2013
    That picture is amazing, now I really want into the game! The bard in particular I am enjoying, is he wearing a Hawaiian shirt?

I am not seeing any Paladin or Druid characters, both of which I particularly enjoy and both of which would benefit the group as they are battlefield controllers.

Honestly, that picture is really cool. Who do I need to bribe to either leave the game or expand the group size?

PS thanks for the link Rilwen. :)

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes. Yes he is.

Rilwen_Shadowflame likes this.