main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN Hoosier Alliance viewing of Spiderman 3

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by echo-3, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    **Locked per CR request and random flaming. I will not ban, but you all need to back down some please... j_r

Lets make plans to see Spiderman 3 together .
    Friday May 4th at 10pm at Showplace 12
    According to there web site, Show 11 & 12 will be showing NOTHING but SM3 in every theater they both have all weekend!!
    See everybody there.

2. Jedi_Narf

Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2006
    Meh.

M.
    E.
    H.

Meh.

I think I'll wait until the fever dies down; not that eager to see it.

T.

3. GoldLeader74

GoldLeader74 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    Ill try and be there

4. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    Going to be in Elkhart for my sister's college graduation.
    -Bryan

5. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    Uh...uh...I'll try to pretend I didn't read this post. IT'S F&CKIN SPIDER-MAN!!!! HOW can you not be eager to see this? Let me guess, you WILL be eager to see "Pirates 3", right? (ensues with loudest groan ever heard by mankind)

Jennifer and I have tickets to the midnight showing on Thursday night/Friday morning here in Woodland Hills. I am super-psyched. While I've heard it doesn't live up to the second installment...it is as good if not better than the first.

6. greedofan

greedofan Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    I'm with you, Lito. Mike and I are planning on going to a midnight showing as well. I've been eagerly awaiting this one since it was announced!

7. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
  8. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    What does M.E.H , stand for?

9. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    Not sure if I'm going at midnight....or the show on Friday night.

I've tried to stay spoiler-free so far....but some of those clips out there are freaking awesome.

10. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006

I just don't care enough about Spiderman 3 to go through all of the excessive fever that's going to go on this weekend (and you can't tell me that it's not, especially since it is the only movie both theaters in town are going to be showing this weekend (which is a real sore point with me, 'cause what if I wanted to see something other than Spiderman 3?)), and frankly a 10pm start time is also far from what I would have chosen but the time was set before I could put a word in. Sure, I've heard good things so far about Spiderman 3, but waiting a weekend or two (or even until the Blu-Ray release) won't kill me, and it will let the crowds die down so perhaps when I go to see the movie I can enjoy it and have a nice relaxing time with whomever I'm with.

As an aside to the group at large, if we're going to say that we want to see a movie as the "HA" group, perhaps we should wait to set the date and time till people actually have a chance to reply with their opinions? The time between emails asking if people wanted to go and when the time was set was roughly 3 hours. So if I'm not on my computer at that time, I don't get a say? And perhaps I'm just too patient or something, but since I think it's more important to be able to have more of the group be able to go to a movie (again, if we say we're going as the HA group), perhaps it would behoove us to not always have to go to a movie on opening weekend? I can understand going to opening weekend for the big stuff (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, I even include Spiderman 3), but perhaps for the small stuff like Hot Fuzz it wouldn't hurt to wait just a little so people don't get left behind when they can't drop everything at a moments notice to go see a movie? How we've scheduled things in the past usually means that the same 3 or 4 people get to go to the theater together while others get to feel bad because their schedules didn't allow them to go at the chosen time.

But in the end, whatever. And yes, I am eager to see Pirates 3, but if Kerasotes does the same thing for that, and if the time that we're going is set by the first person who replies, I'll probably be waiting till the following weekend on that one too. For the most part, they're just movies.

T.

11. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

Sep 21, 2004
    Urck...choking...on...own...tongue...ack...I...can't...believe...he...wrote...that...I...

(dead)

12. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    As an aside to the group at large, if we're going to say that we want to see a movie as the "HA" group, perhaps we should wait to set the date and time till people actually have a chance to reply with their opinions? The time between emails asking if people wanted to go and when the time was set was roughly 3 hours. So if I'm not on my computer at that time, I don't get a say? And perhaps I'm just too patient or something, but since I think it's more important to be able to have more of the group be able to go to a movie (again, if we say we're going as the HA group), perhaps it would behoove us to not always have to go to a movie on opening weekend? I can understand going to opening weekend for the big stuff (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, I even include Spiderman 3), but perhaps for the small stuff like Hot Fuzz it wouldn't hurt to wait just a little so people don't get left behind when they can't drop everything at a moments notice to go see a movie?

Sorry Tim , I got replies from 4 people in those three hrs and only one wanted to go at all Friday so I kinda made the time around that persons schedule. I will think of everyone in the future for movie's. Sorry that I upset you, Like I said I will be more thoughtful of everyone in the future.
    I haven't had the best luck lately getting everybody to see a movie together.
    In this case , I was trying to just lock down a time. But You were wright,Thats my fult.
    If you wanna see HF , Let me know when and Ill go with you.
    Forgive me?
    Please..

13. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Yeah, it's been a busy month for me. I'm still up for seeing Hot Fuzz on any weekend this summer, as I'm off every Saturday/Sunday until August. And I'm still planning on seeing Spiderman on Friday night, but if it lives up to the hype I'll go see it again with whoever else wants to go.

14. mexicanfries

mexicanfries Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2007
    hi, new to this board. I dont know about others but I fail to understand why somebody donot want to watch spiderman 3 Its a great movie!!

------------
    Please don't spam

15. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Again, Im sorry I dint give anyone significant time to vote. Next time I will set up a poll on when we should go. I dont want to make anyone upset.

16. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    It's simply Meh spelled out for emphasis. Picked up saying it like that from a Simpson's episode.

17. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006

Sorry to have "killed" you, Lito, but some of us aren't in the movie business. :) I do highly enjoy movies, though, and use my lovely Netflix account to its fullest. It's just that personally I really, really have to want to watch a movie to want to go opening weekend (when what's opening is huge, like SW or LOTR or Spiderman 3). Also, of course, I dislike having to pay full evening prices for a movie I have doubts about, or frankly any movie at all. A friend of mine commented on the fact that he doesn't go to the movies any more, since the price of him going and taking his two kids along is more than the cost of him going out and just buying the DVD new (FYI, this is a different friend than Eric, who I know fits the description of male with two kids :)). I don't have kids yet, but the point is well taken, since the cost of just myself going to a evening show pays for half of the cost of purchasing the DVD.

That's why for me going to the movies is more of a social thing. I go to be able to hang out with friends, and if I have to pay evening prices for it that's fine. But with the rare exception of a few movies, if it works out that I can't go with my friends, I'll just wait until it comes out on DVD. My home setup is pretty awesome, so I'm not losing that much by watching it in the comfort of my own home and if I want to I can watch it again, and again, and again, and.......

18. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006

Eric, dude, there's nothing that's needed to be forgiven here. What has happened, happened, and I was just bringing forth a point about something that, while it did annoy me, is one that I simply feels needs to be considered. It's pretty simple: I think that if we are going to consider going to a movie a "HA" outing, we should throw up the voting in email and on the boards and find out when people can actually go to the movie, giving them a day or two to reply, and then set a time. I also think that if there is a majority of people who want to the movie but can't go on opening weekend due to scheduling conflicts, the plan to go to the movie should possibly be moved back a week. I mean, what's better, being able to go opening weekend with only 3 or 4 people, or being able to go the following weekend with 7 or 8 people? I do think there should be a limit to this, since you don't want to keep putting off a movie until it's out of the theater, but it's a rare movie indeed that only lasts one weekend (and the ones that usually last only one weekend suck royally).

But I do wish to stress that this only really counts if going to the movie is a "HA" outing. There's nothing whatsoever saying that if Eric or whomever wants to invite a couple people out to just go see a movie on a whim that they have to open it up for voting on the boards first. That would be dumb. :) But if going to a movie is going to be a "HA" outing, and I classify this as when the whole HA group has been invited either via email or on the boards, then I think what time the group is going should be up for more consideration.

But then, of course, I do tend to ramble on, so take what I say with a grain (or pitcher) of salt. :)

19. umop_apisdn

umop_apisdn Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2004

the bottom line is:

it's just a movie. some people are more excited about movies than others, and some people are more excited about this particular movie than others.

just like some people are more excited about, say, video games than others. and those people might be more inclined to camp out in front of a game store to get the latest and greatest while the rest of us would scratch our heads about it.

overreact much, guys? cheese and rice...

20. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

Sep 21, 2004
    You say potato, I say potatoe. Mike, your point is understood and well taken. But, to those of us whose life is all about the entertainment industry (me)...and those of us that get more excited about films than just about anything in their life (me)...and those of us who have adored Spidey since the tender age of 3 (me)...my reaction is not considered by myself to be an "overreaction". It's simply a reaction. Just as you said before, "To some people (example), whereas to others (example)"...you may not think it's a big deal...but, I do.

Besides, I wasn't exactly being dead serious. Everyone here knows me (pretty much) and knows how I am. TIm, Eric, and probably you too, Mike, know I was only being half-serious. As you can see...as it turns out...Tim's words didn't kill me after all!

That's a relief! This way I'll be able to go see "Spidey 3"!

Tim; I completely understand what you're saying. I'm also a Netflix member and nowadays most of the films I see I wait until they're on DVD so I can enjoy them in the privacy of our apt. without having to worry about inconsiderate theater patrons, overpriced food, and having to find parking. Certain films I feel I absolutely HAVE to see on the big-screen ("Spidey 3", "Star Wars", "Bond", "Batman", "Harry Potter", "Indiana Jones IV", etc). But, that's usually because they're big-screen blockbusters with amazing visuals that I want to be "immersed" in. If it's a smaller film that I'm interested in (ex; "Syrianna", "Good Night and Good Luck")...I usually wait until it is released on DVD, buy iy, then watch it. If I love it, I keep it...if not, I take it to EB Games, get a few bucks back...and it STILL costs less than going to the theater!

Bottom line; you gotta do what you gotta do.

NOW GO SEE "SPIDER-MAN 3" OR I"LL GIVE YOU WHAT FOR!!!

(just kidding!!!) :D

21. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    For those going tonight, the theater has change the times a little, The one some of us are going to starts at 9:50 instead of 10pm.

22. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Any reviews?
    I'll wait to give mine .

23. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

Sep 21, 2004
    While definitely not as strong as the second entry in the series, "SPIDER-MAN 3" definitely delivers the goods in terms of action, FX, and entertainment. I loved the story of Peter struggling with his inner demons...like Anakin's struggle in "EPIPSODE III", it's a tale I can easily relate to.

The problems I had with the film were mainly that because there were so many plot lines and so much going on, the film suffered from not being as focused or "tight" as the second film. The character of Flint Marko was one I empathized with...but his lack of screen-story/time left me wanting to see more of his arc. I loved the screen-realization of Venom, and while he wasn't really a major player in the film (only appearing in the final 20 or so minutes), this suited me just fine. First, I've never really put Venom on a pedestal like other Spidey-fans have. To me, there's simply not enough there in terms of his character to justify an entire film devoted to him. I mean, what's his story? He hates Spidey. That's it. Whoopee.

So, I wasn't bothered by his "lack" of screen time. I was more than happy to see the film devote the main story to the following story arcs; Peter struggling with his inner darkness, and Harry struggling with his. These two stories fit in perfectly with the central theme of the film; forgiveness...whether it be forgiving yourself, forgiving your friend, forgiving your lover, forgiving your enemy.

I've heard people complain about the humor in the film. But, I personally had no problems with it. Yes, it's campy in spots. Yes, it's over the top in others. But, you have to see that Raimi and company did it that way on purpose. Their tongues are firmly planted in their cheeks. They know that they're poking fun at themselves and they're loving every minute of it. Besides, there had to be as much humor as there was in the film in order to balance the grimness, darkness, and heavy emotions going on the rest of the time. If the humor elements had been missing, people would have been complaining that the film was "too dark".

While lacking the clarity of the first two films, I still thought it was a great entry in the series. I've already seen it twice and can't wait to go see it again!

Out of 5 stars, I give it ***1/2

24. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    For me...

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were to many "uncomfortable" scenes in it. Like the Jazz club seen after MJ breaks up with him. I sank in my seat on that one. The HOLE Peter talking about his alter ego like its another woman in fron of MJ all the time...Him kissing Gwen like it no big deal when he new MJ was there. Coming from a married man of 11 years ( yesterday )YOU DONT DO THAT KIND OF CRAP when you have a girlfriend!
    And the part I really liked , Harry Finlay getting his head out of his @$$ and helping Spidy was over before it got started. Overall I felt this movie was a "Filler" until Spiderman 4 comes out and really shows or does something that really counts.

My Rating- **/****

25. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

Sep 21, 2004
    SPOILER WARNING!!!...

But, that's the whole point of the film! It was Peter struggling against his ego...he let success get to his head and he paid for it before he realized he had to revert to being the "old" Peter.

The jazz club scene might've made you uncomfortable...but, that kind of crap happens when people in relationships hurt each other. They try to "get each other back" and cause pain to those that hurt them. That's what Peter was doing...and that was part of his struggle. Normally, he would never have the courage or audacity to do that to anyone, let alone MJ. But, the suit made him give in to those darker, more fierce impulses.

Peter talking about Spider-Man in front of MJ...Spidey kissing Gwen...again, he's letting his ego get the better of him. It's supposed to be akward and uncomfortable. Peter didn't think about how that would affect MJ because he was so caught up in his own hype...and caught up in the moment of glory...for him.

And Harry and Peter joining forces...over before it started? Uh...ok. It lasted about seven minutes worth of screen-time in an all-out battle royale/melee...winner takes all. It was fun to watch...it was exciting...it was damn cool...it was entertaining!

What more could you ask for from a movie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.