main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Hope's Sanctuary - Complete! A note of thanks

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jedi_keladry, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_keladry

jedi_keladry Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    Title: Hope?s Sanctuary
    Author: jedi_keladry
    Rating: PG
    Setting: Three to six years after AotC ? this is how I might bridge the gap between Episodes II and IV. There?s a little Episode IV epilogue. A few Episode III spoilers are present, but they?re the no-brainers. I?ve decided to fill in the timeline?s gaps myself, rather than decide which of the swirling rumors are true and which ones aren?t. (I guess that makes this AU, and it certainly will be AU after May of 2005.)
    Category: Drama, eventually Obidala Romance (but not for a looooong time...)
    Summary: Obi-Wan Kenobi appears on Naboo, bearing news of Anakin?s apparent death. He discovers that Padmé is pregnant, and is assigned by the Jedi Council to protect her for the time being.
    Disclaimer: All recognizable characters belong to the Great Flannel Man and Lucasfilm, except for the healer Alanna Olau. She is loosely modeled on Tamora Pierce?s shero, Alanna of Trebond.
    Archive: Ask me first, please.

Chapter One - Reports and Rumination

The call came through the comm system in her office; she had a visitor. Senator Padmé Amidala sighed. She had been working all day in the Palace Complex on Naboo, and she was glad of a distraction. Padmé stood and arched her lower back as the afternoon sunlight glowed gold on her shoulders and hair. She straightened, savoring the warmth, lost in thought.

She wished it would be Anakin. Even though it had been three years since their wedding, the need for secrecy ? and therefore, discretion ? remained. Padmé had only seen him once, almost three months ago, since her parents? funeral. Even though she wondered how passionate their relationship would still be if they didn?t see each other so infrequently, Padmé wanted to hold her beloved husband now more than ever. She wanted to feel his arms around her, hear his voice call her his Treasure, as he always did. There was something she had to tell him?

The signal beeped again. Oops. ?Enter.? A figure in a hooded robe entered, ushered in by Dormé, one of her handmaidens.

Padmé?s heart leaped for a moment, then she took a deep breath when she saw that the visitor was not quite tall enough to be her husband. ?Master Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi to see you, M?Lady.? The cloaked figure bowed slightly, dipping into the sunlight, then back into shadow.

?Thank you, Dormé.? Padmé smiled, though cautiously. She had not seen Anakin?s former knight-master since the trials a year ago, when Ani had earned the rank of Jedi Knight. Only when the door slid shut on Dormé?s slender silhouette did Padmé say, ?Welcome, Master Kenobi. It?s been far too long.? Obi-Wan still said nothing. What?s wrong? Padmé walked around her desk, coming to stand face-to-face with her husband?s knight-master.

With a trembling hand, he pulled the hood from his head. Obi-Wan's red-gold hair was mussed, and there were shadows under his eyes. No, it was more than that, Padmé realized ? He looks so sad. Padmé?s brow creased in concern. ?Master Kenobi, please sit down, you?re not well.? She took his elbow and led him to a chair, then had to push on his shoulder to get him to sit. The senator crouched in front of him, so they were eye-to-eye.

For the first time, Kenobi?s gaze met hers. He?s been crying? Her stomach, none too stable as it was, seemed to flop over. When he did speak, his voice trembled like a moth that had just emerged from its cocoon. The Jedi's eyes were a glassy grey color. ?M?Lady, I?m so sorry. Anakin ??

He got no further than that, because for the first time in many years, Senator Amidala was clumsy. At the mention of her husband?s name her knees wobbled, then gave out. She thumped to the floor in a heap of senatorial robes. Padmé?s eyes began to fill with tears as she gasped, ?What ??

At her distress, the Jedi got to his feet and helped her to his chair. He pulled another closer and sat, facing her. Obi-Wan's eyes wer

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Excellent job! You captured the dazed emotions of Obi-Wan and the fear that Padme felt upon hearing Anakin's name, knowing it was bad news. I could picture the scene in my head, always a good thing for me. I hope there will be more?

3. jedi_keladry

Jan 25, 2004
    Wow, a reply already! Much gratitude. [face_blush]

Yeah, this will be continued every few days. It's already quite long in my word processor, almost finished actually, so I figured it was time to share it.

And hope I didn't get stuff thrown at me for it being an Obidala. :D

4. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I remember this fic. I read it on Obidala.com

~aeryn

5. jedi_keladry

Jan 25, 2004
    Yeah, it's a long story, but I'll update it here about every other day.

Promise!

6. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    This is another excellent story.

****adds to list***

****Also needs to add that website to her list, had not heard of that one before*****

7. jedi_keladry

Jan 25, 2004
    Oh, your compliments sing in my heart! They are nectar and ambrosia.

Okay, okay, enough with the Alianne-esque drama.

AERYN_SUN: Yeah, the first three chapters are on Obidala.com, poor Saskia, I've been keeping her waiting for months for more, but my beta (whom I've given up on) has never finished beta-ing me. I keep getting excuses for why s/he isn't finished, tidbits of excellent advice, and promises of the entire thing corrected, but no finished product. But I'm sick of not sharing this story, after eight or nine months of obsessing over it. The next few weeks will be familiar territory for you, but I hope you'll stay on for the long haul. (That goes for both of you!)

CrystalKenobi: Thanks for following me from "Sabbatical" over to here. And Obidala.com is a well-organized website, I visit it often.

On with the show!

For several days and nights, Senator Amidala remained in seclusion. She had recently announced her intention to end her term as a senator in the Galactic Republic. Courtiers and palace servants speculated that she was taking a sabbatical, but if that was the case, why not wait until her replacement was appointed and ready to take office? All the senator had told anyone, including Queen Jamilla, is that she was ill and needed to rest. But then why refuse the services of a healer?

At the request of the queen, Obi-Wan had also stayed in the palace. ?Whatever caused her illness arrived when you did, Master Jedi. It also seems to have affected you. Stay here and rest, and watch over her.? Kenobi had bowed his obedience, though his presence was probably the last thing that Senator Amidala wanted. He really should have gone on to Coruscant to report to the Council personally, but a request from a planetary sovereign was not to be denied, even one made out of compassion rather than necessity. Obi-Wan sent a report to Master Yoda and the Council and promised to return home to the Temple soon, then retired into meditation. He was grateful for the uninterrupted time that he used to mourn for the young man who had been so dear to him.

Two days after his arrival, while in a Force meditation, Obi-Wan saw something he did not understand. He stood in front of Senator Amidala, as though guarding her. But from what? They were surrounded by darkness.

Anakin?s body was suddenly illuminated with red light; his eyes opened and he stood. Ghostly hands covered Obi-Wan?s erstwhile student in a white cloak, but when Anakin stretched forth his hand toward Kenobi, it was as black as death. Anakin reached into his former master?s chest and twisted, then tossed him aside like a doll. Obi-Wan was paralyzed by the pain; all he could do was watch.

Anakin beckoned. Padmé looked terrified as she was brought to stand before her husband. He cupped her face in one hand and kissed her, though she struggled. Anakin?s other hand circled her throat. His wife collapsed.

Anakin let her fall, focusing on two tiny points of light that rested in his hand. Defiant but fragile, they shone through his black fingers. In agony, Obi-Wan reached for his former apprentice, wanting to rescue whatever Anakin had taken from Padmé. Kenobi's former Padawan laughed as he clenched his hand and extinguished the two tiny lights. Darkness crept back, Obi-Wan was choking. A cackling laugh echoed, like brittle branches breaking under the weight of fresh snow.

Where had he heard that voice before?

Obi-Wan opened his eyes. He paced in his suite for a full day, eyebrows knitted, thinking about the vision. He could understand this vision of Anakin wanting to destroy him, whatever his Padawan had represented. But Anakin was dead. What did the rest of the vision mean?

8. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Wow, an excellent chapter. Keep them coming.

9. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Loving this story!

You portrayed Padme's shock and grief (when she found out about Anakin) so well.

Obi-Wan's vision was so well written. It was chilling.

Will be patiently waiting for more. :)

10. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    I have a really bad feeling about this :(

~aeryn

11. jedi_keladry

Jan 25, 2004
    Ah, praise! I live for it, I drink it in! Since this fic is almost completely written already, updates, with few exceptions, will come daily. (Unlike Sabbatical, I'm afraid. Those are gonna be more once a week.)

CrystalKenobi: Much gratitude to a kind reader. :)

Gina: Wow, a new reader! Thank you for your remarks, it really reinforces the importance of research. :D

AERYN_SUN: Hmmm...It's gonna take a while, this story is some 96-odd pages in my computer (In teeny-tiny font, too!), but I hope I'm running the gamut of thrills (of many kinds [face_mischief] ) and chills.

Two tendays after Obi-Wan?s arrival, he was requested by Queen Jamilla to attend a reception in honor of a visiting ambassador. The Jedi bathed, then straightened his hair and beard. As he pulled his usual beige tunic and tabards over his broad shoulders, Kenobi reflected that he didn?t want to do this. As a servant of the Republic, I am obligated to obey, he thought. But I don?t have to like it. The grief and consequent exhaustion had not diminished, but he felt able now to subdue it and perform this task for a few hours.

He arrived a little early. When Queen Jamilla arrived, she smiled a little at him. Obi-Wan bowed slightly as the Queen passed, courtiers and dignitaries in her wake. Senator Amidala was there.

Obi-Wan was taken aback at her presence until he remembered a shouted conversation with his Padawan three years before: ?What do you think Padmé would do, were she in your position?? She would do her duty. Obi-Wan couldn?t help but remember the last two tendays; each time he had opened his mind to the Force, there she had been, her spirit screaming with grief.

As the reception began, Jedi Master Kenobi exchanged pleasantries with guests, but his focus was always on Anakin's widow. He did not choose to probe her with the Force now, and he also avoided approaching her. The last thing Senator Amidala will want is for me to hover and remind her of Anakin. Especially when she has work to do. Obi-Wan retreated to a balcony for some fresh air. There was no moon out tonight, and even the stars seemed to draw veils over their faces.

The voice was barely audible. ?Master Kenobi.?

He turned. It was Padmé. She stood on the balcony with her husband?s knight-master and looked out at the Temple District of Theed. ?Senator,? he murmured.

The lights of the party set her hair and dress aglow, but left her face in darkness. Obi-Wan could barely make out where her eyes were, for they caught what little light reached them and reflected it back in pools of misery. ?I thank you for your kindness and concern. I believe what you said. Ani was so proud of that lightsaber he built, and the fact that it?s with me instead of him ?? Padmé stopped, breathed deeply. ?He taught me to listen to the Force. I believe you, I know you told me the truth about how he died.?

Obi-Wan felt her gaze burn into him as he sensed heard her unspoken thought: You are blameless. But you are alive and my Ani is not. I hate you. He turned his head, screwing his eyes shut.

Padmé?s voice reached Obi-Wan?s ears, prolonging his punishment. Amazingly, she almost sounded amused as she said, ?It?s not just you, Obi-Wan. I hate everything.? Amusement disappeared, and grief built in her voice and in the Force, waves of violent distress pounding at him without mercy. ?The music, my work, the people who are having fun in there,? she said savagely. Another deep breath, and the anguish vanished. ?I cannot grieve openly. It is well known that Jedi are forbidden to marry, and I am still in a position to care about public opinion.

?He said you were like his father. You lost him, too. I am very sorry.? Without another word, she returned to the party. He finally caught a glimpse of her face; it looked tired and pinched. All Obi-Wan could do was stare. Jedi were not prone to surprise, but he had been startled by this woman twice in one hour.

A moment later, Kenobi also rejoined t

12. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Amazing! I can't wait to see the rest of this. Superb work, very good use of detail and dialogue.

13. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    I love the dance . I've always loved the old types of dancing verse the new type of dancing which quite a bit to me belongs behind close doors. There is some to me that is more romantic of the dance where you barely touch your partner except for hands or with hands a waist like the waltz etc. (okay enough of soap box)

I like how Obi-wan realize's that Padme is beautiful and begins to wonder.
    Anyway, I think you did an excelent job here. I look forward to reading about the talk.

14. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    If it helps with the visualization, imagine English Country Dancing, like in the movies "Emma" or "Pride and Prejudice" or "Sense and Sensibility."

I've seen Emma. I know what you're talking about.

The closeness only lasted a few seconds, then the dancers began to weave in between each other once more. The contact repeated several times during the dance, but neither Padmé nor Obi-Wan tried to make eye contact again. At the end, each couple drew together and joined hands. Just one thing left to do ? the traditional kiss. For lovers it was usually on the lips or cheek, but for those not quite as close, a peck on the lady?s fingers would do. Grey eyes watched brown as he lifted her small hand in his callused palm. Obi-Wan and Padmé read the heartache once again in each other?s countenances.

Hmm, I feel something is brewing, unspoken feelings and desire. More soon, please?

~aeryn

15. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    I loved that scene. It was so courtly, so romantic.

There was no moon out tonight, and even the stars seemed to draw veils over their faces.

I really liked this line.

16. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Great story Jedi. Looks like it's going to get good. The dream Obi-Wan had was awesome, very kewl stuff.

17. jedi_keladry

Jan 25, 2004
    VaderLVR64 - Thank you, thank you! Here?s more, I?m so impatient to share this that I seem to be posting more than once a day!

CrystalKenobi - Yeah, there ain?t no Dirty Dancin? in my fics. I love Jane Austen, the norms of society where and when she lived dictated that eyes would meet much more often than hands or lips.

Actually, AERYN_SUN, it is as you read it. Padmé?s husband died twenty days ago, and the only person in whom she can confide is a person who is at least partly responsible for the whole mess. She actually does hate him. But do keep in mind that apathy is the opposite of love, not hate.

Gina - A lovely, romantic setting, and they don?t take advantage of it. They won?t be sad forever, promise!

Obi-Wan21 - I thank you very much. It?s a fine line, making it too cryptic for Obi-Wan to figure out at present, but making sure we know what he?s seeing.

My Respected Readers, there?s time and plenty for romance when the time is right. To every thing there is a season; they must mourn.

Obi-Wan?s meditation the next morning began like any other. He sat cross-legged on the floor, the morning sun warming his bare back and shoulders. The Jedi Knight began breathing deeply, stretching out with his feelings, relaxing the muscles in his body as he focused on the Force. His mind led him to Master Qui-Gon Jinn, who was Obi-Wan?s mentor for a dozen years. Kenobi?s sorrow mounted as he remembered his own sandy-haired Padawan. Memories raced through Obi-Wan?s mind, ending with the last time they met. When Anakin had tried to kill him.

He again saw Anakin, shrouded in white. Obi-Wan was startled by the familiar snap-hiss of an activating lightsaber. Anakin?s handsome face, lit only by the red glare of the saber, contorted into an expression of rage and hatred as he reached for Obi-Wan again.

A bent personage in a black cowl pointed at the two stars, which had also reappeared. Their light had increased tenfold. Anakin sneered and turned from Obi-Wan. He reached for the two points of light, but this time they remained bright. The more Anakin tried to extinguish them, the more they glowed. Suddenly, they flared, and nothing was left of Anakin or the cloaked figure except ashes.

Stars ? two of them? ? Anakin ? where was Padmé this time? Anakin had taken them from her ? taken them from her ? two of them ? from Padmé?

Obi-Wan came out of his trance with a gasp.

Tears that Obi-Wan didn?t know he?d shed dripped into his beard. The Jedi bathed and dressed, knowing at least some of what the Senator would have to say to him. He also had a pretty good idea of why Padmé hadn?t wanted to see him earlier in the morning.

?Master Kenobi, M?Lady.? Dormé led the Jedi into Senator Amidala?s office. Padmé stood to welcome him, but Obi-Wan?s eyes were fixed on her hand, which was pressed on her desk to steady herself.

The Jedi was staring intensely at her, almost as if his mind was elsewhere, and Padmé felt a vague buzzing in her body ? What?s he doing? Then the dizzying feeling stopped, and the power behind his light blue gaze disappeared. ?Master Kenobi, I have something to tell you,? she began, taking her seat.

?I have something to tell you,? he sighed. ?But you?d better go first.? He sat stiffly in his chair.

She couldn?t meet his eyes. ?I?m going to have a baby,? she murmured to her clenched hands.

?Not exactly,? he replied.

Padmé looked up, indignant. What?s that supposed to mean?! ?I beg your pardon ?? she sputtered, but he held up his hand, silencing her.

?You are pregnant,? the Jedi agreed quietly. The ghost of a smile contradicted his tired, anxious eyes. ?You?re not having one baby, you?re having two.?

?Oh,? she murmured, her ire dissolving. Padmé was completely poleaxed. ?How do you know? No, that was stupid.? She sighed. ?But you?re sure there?s more than one??

The Jedi nodded. ?I have reason to believe that you and your children are in danger, Senator. You know that

18. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Again wonderful.

19. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    ?You are pregnant,? the Jedi agreed quietly. The ghost of a smile contradicted his tired, anxious eyes. ?You?re not having one baby, you?re having two.?

?Oh,? she murmured, her ire dissolving. Padmé was completely poleaxed. ?How do you know? No, that was stupid.? She sighed. ?But you?re sure there?s more than one??

Despite the seriousness of the situation, I loved Padme's reaction to him knowing. [face_laugh]

~aeryn

20. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    I agree with AERYN_SUN. I loved Padme's reaction.

21. jedi_keladry

Jan 25, 2004
    First and foremost, I'm sorry if I was too harsh, admonishing patience to all of you who are so kind as to read this. No disrespect intended.

I'm extending the length of my posts for a little while, so the story doesn't drag.

And my gratitude goes out to you for replying. Hooray!

Chapter Two - A New Assignment

The morning after his meeting with Senator Amidala, Obi-Wan blasted off the surface of Naboo. He had first requested leave from Queen Jamilla, who readily gave it, then sent a message to Padmé through one of her handmaidens:

Senator:
    I must return to Coruscant to personally report to the Jedi Council about Anakin. I will consult with Master Yoda about the other matter; you will hear from me soon. Until then, please remember my advice, my Lady.
    Obi-Wan Kenobi

Padmé read the message and sighed. She hadn?t known he would be leaving so soon; she wanted to meet with Obi-Wan again before he left. The Jedi had been her husband?s friend, and Padmé had no idea whether the Council would send him back or not. Probably not; Kenobi had been busy in the Alderaanian military before that. Viceroy Organa had just made him a general.

Thank goodness I resigned as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I need to figure out how to handle all this. Laying a hand on her no-longer-quite-flat belly, she thought about the beings within her.

Padmé had decided to resign soon after the pregnancy test came back positive. She loathed the idea of giving up her life's work, but it was for the best. Her marriage was a secret...acknowledgement that she really was married would immediately lead to queries of her husband?s identity...revealing that information was impossible because of Ani?s vocation. So that was out. And an unmarried but pregnant Republic Senator would ruffle more than a few feathers on Naboo and in the Senate. Padmé?s opponents would bury her causes and dishonor her with duplicitous, irrelevant finger-pointing.

How would Ani react if he knew he was going to be a father? she wondered. First my parents, then Ani. These children and Sola and the girls are all I have left. Tears spilled down Senator Amidala?s face as she rummaged through the papers on her desk, looking for work to distract her.

Obi-Wan, having just finished telling the Jedi Council about Anakin?s betrayal and death, waited for comments or questions. He stood in the center of the room, not sure if it was the morning sun or the nervousness that he felt that was causing the sweat to trickle between his shoulder blades. The Jedi Knight refused to fidget, however. He would take responsibility for Anakin?s actions, because he had trained Skywalker in the ways of the Jedi.

Nobody said a word. The Jedi Knight stood in the center of the room, enduring stares that ranged from sympathetic to accusing. After a moment of heavy silence, Obi-Wan bowed and departed.

He didn?t want to speak of Senator Amidala?s pregnancy to the entire Council. Every Jedi Master in that room was respected and worthy, but Obi-Wan wanted to keep the information as private as possible until he?d had feedback from the Master he looked up to the most. Kenobi waited in an adjoining room.

All...Sithing...day.

The sun had just set and the antechamber was mostly dark when members of the Council began to leave in pairs or by themselves. Obi-Wan stepped out of the shadows as Yoda?s hoverseat passed him. ?More to say, have you, Obi-Wan??

Master Kenobi nodded. ?I would speak with you, Master Yoda.?

The diminutive Master and the tall Knight moved into a meditation chamber together. As Yoda clambered out of his chair onto a cushion, Obi-Wan settled himself cross-legged on the floor. ?What have you to say, Master Obi-Wan, that could not be said in front of the Council?? Yoda asked.

The younger Jedi looked up. Yoda?s face was usually unreadable, but Obi-Wan could tell that Yoda had deliberately assumed an expression of polite interest. He?s showing me that he?s keeping an

22. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    The Jedi?s eyes seemed to change color as she watched, softening from grey to light blue.

Hmm, Ewan's eyes [face_love]

Padmé?s eyes widened at the sight of the Jedi in the doorway, his hair still wild from sleeping. She gasped, clutching her stomach, then shouted, ?Out!?

Obi-Wan didn?t need to be told twice; he fled. She continued to sit on the floor, shaking her head. I?ve got to remember to lock the door. Padmé winced as another wave of nausea threatened to engulf her.

I could just imagine Obi-Wan's reaction to seeing her. It's so funny. [face_laugh]

Mmmmm...Obi-Wan, clad only in his pajama bottoms...

I watched Down with Love last night, so I know how you feel jk. :D

~aeryn

23. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Mmmmm...Obi-Wan, clad only in his pajama bottoms...

*Cold Shower*

I just had to read this post here at work where there is no Cold Shower. :D

Excellent work. I like the talk between Yoda and Obi-wan, I thought that was a nice touch.

Obi-wan is a very smart man to not have to be told twice and to leave crackers and juice and to not be around when a woman is in Padme's condition and was just sick. :D Another nice touch.

24. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This is really quite lovely, keladry. I usually don't read obidala fics but you've certainly done a wonderful job so far.

Keep going.

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Great update! I also don't usually go for Obidala (Padme belongs to Anakin in my mind and he belongs to her) but this is very well done. I can't wait for updates so please hurry, LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.