main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Horn in the West

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    If any of you who live in other US states or outside the country happen to visit NC in the summer, from June to August, you should try to go to Boone and see this amazing outdoor drama. One of only three existing outdoor dramasin the US performed each year (the other two are UNTO THESE HILLS in Cherokee, NC, and THE LOST COLONY in ... Virginia? I think) HORN is the oldest, having run each summer since 1952.

I saw HORN once about 10 years ago when I was still a teen and loved it. Back this summer, when the house was undergoing a purge of uneeded items and a rearrangment of space, I stumbled across our old program from the night we went to see it in 2003. Ironically enough, it was the night before Independence Day. As I opened the program and saw the epigraph on the first four pages, I was reminded of how much we citizens of the United States owe to our forefathers who fought for our freedom as a nation.

Here's a link to the website:
    http://www.horninthewest.com/

And a more specific link to the section Story of the Show:
    http://www.horninthewest.com/show.htm

Note that it will likely be late next spring before information on the 2014 season of HORN is available ... assuming they're able to get the funding. It was almost cancelled entirely this year due to lack of money and several rained out performances last year. I really hope that HORN will be able to keep going for many more years yet: the drama represents an important link with the United States' past and it would be a shame if such a piece of history was lost.

"In the evening west, beyond the last mountain peak,
    slowly dies the sun in a sea of bronze and crimson.
    In its' setting is the majestic assurance
    that a new day will rise ...
    The gaze of man is westward,
    as if he could glimpse somewhere beyond,
    the golden reaches of eternity.
    As though he could hear,
    blowing in the distant sunset,
    a HORN OF FREEDOM."
    - Kermit Hunter's Horn in the West

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Lost Colony is actually in Manteo. I've seen it a couple of times.

I've never seen Horn in the West but I don't believe in cutting funding for the arts so hopefully it keeps running.

3. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Haven't seen LC, so I wasn't certain where it was performed. I have seen Unto These Hills once, when I was 7 or 8, but I don't remember much of it.

I agree that these dramas should be kept running. I was so disappointed when I found out how close HORN came to being cancelled. If HORN does run next year, I told Dad and Mom I wanted to see it again, so I hope we can go.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Commemorating the brave heroes who invaded Cherokee and Shawnee lands in blatant disregard of both the treaty made just a year prior with the former, and of the latter's right to exist or be recognized as a political entity at all.

[face_flag]

. . .

Yeah, so I don't think much of Daniel Boone and his ilk. Cultural events are generally a good thing, though.

5. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Jabba-wocky, HORN centers around a British physician who is torn between family and loyalty to England, but Boone does play a key role.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In that case, I'm somewhat more inclined to see it than I was before. How long does this thing run?

7. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    It usually runs from mid June to mid August, but this year they didn't start until late June because of the funding problems. The main performance usually starts at 8:00 PM and runs for at least two hours, maybe three. I think there's an intermission, though. This year it was performed six nights a week; the only exception was Monday night. It may be the same schedule next year or they could change it - I don't know.

Another thing, Jabba, the "Story of the Show" page on the website describes an understanding between the Cherokee and the community that Dr. Stuart serves.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I get horny when I'm in the west too. California gurls...

10. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Typical.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012