main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Horn: Script expected in January

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Possibly. But Kasdan is only a kind of assistant, he is not the one calling the main shots.

I think it was a pretty drastic rewrite. Why else the need to fire him and why else would the script take so damn long to finish?

2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, looking over Kasden's filmography, he has a long history of success, both critical and $$$. I don't take the Dreamcatcher fail very seriously -- most directors have trouble adapting King's work. Because it sucks. I'm shocked when someone occasionally takes his cliches and brings some life to them.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Technically, we don't know that he was fired. That's just what has been assumed because of a rumor. It's possible he hated JJ's ideas and walked. Who knows? There was another rumor that JJ had to convince George he was right. Maybe Arndt quit because he lost George's support. We won't know for sure until the Rinzler book. :) And, I hope Kasdan is a lot more than an assistant. I trust his writing a lot more than JJ's.

Immortiss and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Kasdan's not going to be just an assistant.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I very much doubt Kasdan is an assistant. In fact I would bet he's the one doing the majority of the rewrite because of the simple fact that Abrams has a lot of other responsibilities on the film. Just a pure guess but Kasdan probably had Abrams ideas and was the one to put them on paper with further input coming from Abrams along the way.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Again, we don't know if Arndt quit or was fired... we may never know for sure. He could even still be involved in future scripts too. And yeah, I don't see Kasdan just being an "assistant" either.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All I can say about Kasdan is that Wyatt Earp sucked. Michael Madsen even admits how awful the shooting was for it.

fishtailsam likes this.
  8. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Wyatt Earp did suck. But I blamed Kostner for that.

9. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    :confused:

Little Miss Sunshine - won 2 Oscars, including one for *cough* Original Screenplay. This film was never intended to make alot of money.

Toy Story 3 - Made over $1b. Widely acclaimed. Viewed by many to be among the very best Pixar films

Brave - He polished this script, was not the principal writer. Not among the top tier Pixar films it made alot of money. Again, we don't know how much of a role he had in the script.

Oblivion - not a bomb at the boxoffice, not a success either. I liked it.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Made over $800m. More critically praised than the first, I dunno, maybe the script had something to do with it.

Inside Out (Pixar) - TBD

Walk in the Woods - TBD

10. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    It´s tricky to talk about the script changes or the Arndt departure because we no nothing about it. But if we have to consider accurate what the rumors claim, I´d say I like every romored change. The ST is about a new generation, but that doesn´t mean that the big 3 have to be 10 mins on the screen. I don´t even believe the that Arndt wanted Luke to die in the first minutes of the Episode VII to start the plot because it is such a terrible idea. Luke is the most important character of the big 3, and I´d like him to have an important role on the ST and specially on the first episode. I won´t like to see Luke as a force ghost. I´d like to see him saving his child from a hard situation, showing all his power or something like that. Being the Yoda of the PT.

Same goes for the new heroes. I do believe I´m not the only one who wants the new trio to be Luke´s son, Leia´s daughter, and a new non-Force user. If the Arndt script was about Han and Leia´s twins, with no Skywalker son in the mix, I´d feel there was something wrong with the ST, specially if Luke dies early and Leia and Han are still alive. That would mean the ST is not the Skywalker story, but the Solo one.

I have a lot of faith in the Abrams/Kasdan script. And I´m sure if Kennedy and Lucas backed up Abrams story was because they were convinced his changes were for the better.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I didn't like Toy Story 3. It was highly derivative for one. I turned the tv off because the movie couldn't engage me.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I loved Toy Story 3. :D

13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Arndt also wrote the re-shoots for Tron Legacy.

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I hope Kasdan is an assistant for this. No offense to him, but I don't like Empire as much as the other 5.

15. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's more or less what his role is right now.

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Kasdan? Why? We don't have anything available to say that he's really just an assistant, as far as I know.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well yes, we have. He was brought in to help with the script. For me, that's an assistant. That's not supposed to be a slight against Kasdan, TESB is my favorite movie, it is simply a fact.

19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    "Brought in to help with the script" being interpreted as "assistant" is making a big assumption, IMO.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What do you think his role is, EHT? Co-writer? That's also an assistant for me.

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't really know, but I would guess something close to co-writer with an equal amount of input and say. Which to me sounds like more than an assistant, so maybe we're just working through semantics. :p

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Co-writer is way more than an assistant. Also, co-writers is a term usually applied to people writing as partners on a draft. That would apply to LK & JJ on the current draft. Arndt would have had sole credit on his draft. If he still has credit he will share it with JJ & LK.

As per WGA rules a new writer needs to have contributed 50% of an original screenplay to receive credit. If it's not an original screenplay, the requirement is 33% (I'm not sure which category SW would fall into).

If anyone wants more info on this: http://www.wga.org/subpage_writersresources.aspx?id=171

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    If Arndt's work is thrown out then I'm hoping for something more like %60 Kasdan %40 Abrams. At least for now. I'm perfectly prepared to change my mind if I find out JJ is behind some great ideas.

24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    It's just a misunderstanding of screenplay writing to call a co-writer or writer an assistant.

Co-writers are not assistants.

Kasdan is one of the E7 writers. Period.

25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I find it quite hard to believe that nothing of Arndt's will remain.

Darth Chiznuk and Darkslayer like this.
  26. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope that's true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.