main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Horn: Script expected in January

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm sorry, but this "rumored" plot line for Episode VII just sounds BEYOND lame. It's actually pretty laughable, and makes NO SENSE on several levels. Han and Leia are in prison for 8 years? WTF? Where's Luke? He drops everything to come to their aid in ESB, and then executes a rescue of Han Solo in ROTJ. But now he's….what? Just sitting on his hands until their kids come and ask him to help? [face_laugh] Uh, yeah right….Luke wouldn't sit back like that with his sister and friend in trouble. Don't buy it.

And not to mention, their kids "grow up as orphans"?? Okay, is Luke like the biggest dick in the galaxy now? So, aside from just shrugging his shoulders and letting poor Han and Leia waste away as prisoners, he doesn't even have the decency to take in his own nieces or nephews?? Ha ha ha. Man, the galaxy must've really done a number on you in the past 30 years, Luke. I barely recognize you. ;)

And I don't want to hear any arguments that Luke was somehow oblivious to all this going on, and that's why he didn't step in sooner. Leia's his sister. He would know if she was in trouble. And heck, if he sensed their pain on Cloud City when he was merely training to be a Jedi, he would certainly be able to sense it now.

Again, this plot makes NO sense. But whatever. It's not actually ever going to see the light of day anyway. Thank god.

2. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Maybe that's why Abrams disagreed with Arndt and decided to rewrite it with Kasdan. This does actually fit with all of the info about the first script so I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if it turned out to be true. Of course I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if it turned out to be bs either.

Dra--- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ep VII was actually a quest or breakout plot featuring the young protagonists on a mission to either find one of the 'big 3' or to breakout one of the 'big 3'. Don't be surprised if there is some element of truth in this...

Immortiss, Lurknomore and Dra--- like this.
  5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    In the long run, Horn doesn't want to look like a liar and a fool to people in the industry and the public. So I find it doubtful he would emphasize his comfort with the screenplay so much if there wasn't truth in it.

If the E7 SP is terrible, we'd all remember it, and our lack of trust in his words would affect people's reaction to anything he says in E8 and E9.

My policy with people like this is trust what they say when what they say relates to their reputation. If what they say turns out to be wrong, then I'll remember it and that will change my perception.

But if other people just want to distrust everything from the beginning, feel free. However, I don't understand your interest in discussing these sorts of things if you don't even believe in their possible truth. :)

The Hellhammer:

Hate. ;)

StoneRiver and The Hellhammer like this.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I doubt they'd run with a terrible screenplay.

Disney agreed the sale on the basis of the treatments of Lucas' outline for the ST, so they must have thought it was good. Arndt wrote a proper screenplay based on part of the treatment to be Episode VII and apparently JJ didn't think ikt was quite right so he & Kasdan modified it to change the focus. It's not like they threw the treatment in the bin or binned the screenplay and started over, they most likely went with the original story and just moved a few events about so it shifted focus onto the characters they wanted to highlight more. If it was so good as it was why scrap it?

Lucas is not in charge anymore, if the screenplay was garbage people like KK, Horn, Abrams or Kasdan would say so.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I agree. With all these reputations at stake, I think it's probable the SP is good. The question is how good. Good enough or great? I trust Diggs and he'd heard a rumor that the SP was great. I believe that, so when I hear Horn emphasize the importance of SPs (not just that the E7 SP is where it needs to be), it correlates for me. There's no reason for Horn to emphasize the importance of SPs if theirs was poor. If anything, he'd minimize their importance and talk about something else.

But people can start with distrust if they like. I can guarantee that if E7 is terrible, I'll be right there with them doubting E8 and E9. But for now, I give them the benefit of the doubt. :)

Satipo and Darth Punk like this.
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I'll remain positive, but as always....

[​IMG]

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't expect Star Wars to have oscar-calibre screenplays, just decent dialogue & good character development. This is something I don't think Lucas captured well in the PT so it's unlikely exactly the same thing will happen when better writers are now in charge of it all.

Momotaros and Satipo like this.
  10. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    The overall story is the most important aspect to me. I guess I have Lucas-brain considering bad acting & dialogue wouldn't frustrate me quite as much as a bad story.

11. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The script better be good considering it took them over a year to write the god damn thing.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ANH and TPM follow a similar "round up wacky mismatched protagonists of all ages and go on a mission" structure. I can foresee Ep. 7 doing that. Prison break-out seems a bit too close to ANH Death Star break-out, though.

13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree... a bit too close perhaps... but I suppose it's how it's handled. ROTJ was also a breakout (well the first 45 mins) and that section did'nt seem like a retread of ANH. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade too. :)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm are there will be a breakout element at some point. Never mind Star Wars, it's a staple of the genre.

For the record, I think those rumours are off-base anyway.

I guarantee you the script will be several notches above anything produced for the prequels.

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Satipo you do know that's a legally binding guarantee you've just given don't you?

Better call Saul

16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    With the writers involved compared to GL's writing (by his own admission - not very good) it will not be hard.

Pro Scoundrel and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    If it doesn't have corny dialogue, I won't be able to buy it as Star Wars.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    You can have corny/ pulpy dialogue and still have good scripts. The prequel scripts were several drafts and polishes short of decent.

19. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't mind the idea of a prison breakout. I like the idea that the Empire still exists in some form. I like the idea of a missing Luke / Luke hasn't been heard of in years.

I don't like that Han and Leia have been in prison for 8 years. That's…odd. So sometime 8 years before EP 7 takes place, Han and Leia - who would be in their 60s at that time- are finally round up and imprisoned. And instead of executing them Empire style, they're kept in captivity for 8 years. With what, the intention that it would draw Luke out of hiding, perhaps? So capturing them was a trap? Even if the intention is the draw Luke out and force him to save them…he's the only Force user in the Galaxy…soooo that wouldn't be a problem and he'd lay waste to whatever fledging Empire trap has been set for him.

So Han and Leia's kids - in their 20s - look for Luke to help them free them. It's just a reverse ANH.

Yeah….

20. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    I will be pissed if we waited all this time in complete silent (mystery box wise) and the movie turns out to be horrible. [face_laugh]

21. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I wonder how many pages of the script Horn actually read? I wonder if he really sat down and read the entire thing? I just don't find it feasible.

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Is that for real?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.