main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Horn: Script expected in January

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, The Last Crusade kinda bores me. ;)

But I couldn't imagine another Indiana Jones until someone on here (maybe you) who stated it could be like the Bond series. It all clicked then, and I am actually happy about the idea of future Indy films without Ford (Though I'd like to see one last one with him).

2. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    As long as they don't put anymore aliens into the movie im good. Last crusade was my favorite honestly.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well actually I was referring to the second film but hey we all have our likes and dislikes. :) I did say it could be like the Bond series with new actors taking on the famous role and continuing the series and I think it's inevitable with Disney now owning the rights. As much as I love Ford as Indy, the series has so much potential to keeping going that ending it when Ford decides he no longer wants to do it would be a shame IMO.

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Indy has already been played by four actors, so it could work without Ford, but there's more of a specific continuity to Indy's life than there was with Bond, so that makes it a little more difficult for me to picture another actor portraying the older Indy. It could be cool to have a new series of movies with a younger actor filling in some of the time between Young Indy and TOD, but I'm just not sure how they could fit in the supernatural element if that happened. Having it in TOD before ROTLA was already a bit of a stretch I thought.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    After Ford leaves I think they should just reboot the thing. Let Ford's films stand on their own and start a new continuity with a new actor.

6. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Holy criminy, I figured the sript would have been done months ago, even with the Abrams/Kasdan rewrites. I'm now beginning to think they've completely thrown out Lucas' treatment and Arndt's script and started from scratch. This is probably why there's been such scant news. They were probably in the early pre-production and casting of the Lucas/Arndt version of Ep7 (earlier this summer) which is where all those rumors were coming from, but now, all that got thrown out, and we're back to square one. It wouldn't surprise me if the the entire project is going in a different direction now, with new heroes, villains, stories, etc. All of the early casting call information with character descriptions is probably obsolete at this point. Despite all this, I do think they will make the release date.

Immortiss and Darth_Pevra like this.
  7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't think it's as extreme as all that. There are a lot of different ways you can go from an outline or treatment. This was a concern for me at first, but from all I've heard I'm fairly sure Lucas's story for the ST is intact.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Why? No one ever gave us a date when the script would be finished before and they certainly didn't say it'd be finished on our own made up schedules. Personally, I'm glad they're taking all the time they need to get it right because honestly what's the rush? Filming doesn't start until spring and they'll probably be making minor rewrites all the way up to filming. Doesn't mean we should panic every time they say something that doesn't coincide with what we, who are not apart of the production at all, think they should say.

EDIT: Oh, and recently THR reported on them looking for an actor to portray the 40 year old military leader who was a part of the original casting sheet so no they haven't thrown those out.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    NO! WE MUST PANIC! Taking this long means they probably went so far away from the original treatments that it is no longer even a Star Wars film! They have erased so much that it is now a Direct To Video sequel to Last Starfighter! ZOMG! We have wasted our lives. I am deleting this entire forum!!!

Pro Scoundrel , Mange, Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    When they said they were re-working the script I thought they'd finish it by the spring sometime. Finishing in January doesn't seem bad at all but rather on par with having started over.

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Considering they've had since summer to rework it (when they released the casting call), I'd say January is plenty of time.

Echo-07 likes this.
  12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Wonder how much the spin-off movies that need to be planned, Rebels, and other content delayed VII's script becoming finalized because of need to tie things in more than before... beyond JJ and Kasdan taking over script duties that is.

In any case glad they took their time to get it right rather than rush to make a cheap buck.

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, at least it's news - that's how I look at it.

I don't necessarily think that this spells trouble for the production, I'm just glad they're taking all the time they need to get it right. If filming starts in the spring, they still have plenty of time to meet that December deadline.

14. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Excited! Things are happening! Just imagine what would happen if the script got leaked.

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The problem?

16. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    The floodgates will soon be opened and this place will just basically break down. Highjinks will ensue! Martial law will be enacted! Kittens laying with puppies, MADNESS!

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Hutts, the Empire, evil slave masters and bounty hunters.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    It's a bit early to panic, isn't it? lol

aguywithabiggun likes this.
  19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Just let me know when the big 3 are announced & other cast members as this is hardly news.......

20. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That works.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Okay, read through the entitre 3 pages thus far. Here are my thoughts, not that anyone is waiting breathlessly for them :p:

First, and foremost, shame on all of you. Alan Horn is the second person to confirm the rumor that Harrison Ford has signed on and no one is talking about it. The rumor was that Ford wanted reassurance about Indy 5. The fact that Horn has even acknowledged Indy 5 as a possibility in the works confirm this rumor. BTW -- John Williams was the first to confirm it when he said he'd score Indy 5 for STEVEN SPIELBERG.

Second, the script. Just because Horn said he'll have the script in jan doesn't mean anything negative. I love (as in hate) how some people immediately jump to the worst case sceanrio. The thing is, it was rumored they were to start filming at the end of Jan (after MLK day as I recall.) There was word of spring but if the script is finished by Jan then they can begin in Jan or Feb. If it were necessary for them to start this Dec for instance the script would've been done by Dec. In other words, they're using all the time they have. Furthermore, the script will probably be tweaked during the whole process, especially dialogue.

Third, the budget. If I wasn't so tried right now I'd look back at the budget guesstimates. I think I said $250 mil. $200 mil is perfectly in line with what we expect of this magnitude of film, isn't it? I wouldn't be surprised to see the final tally hit 250.

As for the comments about the Falcon -- the Falcon sets are probably done. They know they need the Falcon so there's zero reason why they wouldn't build the sets. It's not like disney is going to look at the budget first and then say, "Nope. No money for a Falcon set." BTW -- Abrams and co will do whatever they feel they need to do and send the bill to Disney. Whatever it ends up costing is the budget. That's how this movie rolls, folks, N O T, "Okay don't go over this amount." That shipped saled, or soared to be exact, with the purchase of LFL.

Lastly, the movies every year thing is interesting. I actually think they could do a Han Solo trilogy, which I haven't read here yet, loosely based on the Crispin books. Although I liked the Crispin books, there's a lot of tweaking that needs to happen for them to be used as the basis for the Han Solo movies. Otherwise, I think that's as close to an adaptaion as we're likely to see for SW . . . THANKFULLY!

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, the falcon is build. There's no doubt they knew in advance they would need the falcon.

However I think the claim that they'll film in January is empty. It will probably be May or so. They had one and a half years to finish this script and in this time period they ... didn't. How long does it take on average to write a movie script? The answer is probably not "one and a half years".

23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    There is a negative pathology that seems to yearn for the ST to fail. How this relates to people's everyday lives is an interesting, albeit unanswerable question.

What sorts of tweaks? You people are making me want to read these books!

Echo-07 likes this.
  24. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Let's put it this way, if you like Han, Chewbacca, Jabba, etc. *waves hand* these are the novels you are looking for. Seriously, if you haven't read them they are very, very good.

Echo-07, Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  25. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Exactly. It's the shooting script that's to be delivered, it's almost certainly not like the various departments haven't had earlier drafts to work from. We just don't know to what extent the earlier drafts have been rewritten. The shooting script for TESB (I'm using that as Kasdan was involved) was delivered on February 20, 1979 (with the final revisions handed over on March 19). Filming started in Norway (Finse) on March 5, 1979.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.