Amph Horror Comics: Tales From The Crypt*

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DanyKenobi340, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanyKenobi340 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, so I have been wondering about the TFTC comics. I need someone to help me figure out how the series works. I know they had the comics way back in the 50?s, but I also read that Marvel did something to do with TFTC?and there is a link here to some modern ones from Papercutz, are they still making them??it is a bit confusing?does anyone have any info.

http://www.papercutz.com/crypt/cryptcomic1_moreinfo.html
  2. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Sure! The series started as the Crypt of Terror #17 in April/May 1950, and ran for three months (issues #17-19), then was re-titled Tales from the Crypt in Oct/Nov 1950 (#20), which ran till February/March 1955 (#46).

Numerous reprints of these 30 issues have been published, first under Ballantine in 1964 and '65, then beginning in 1979 under Russ Cochran with various and sundry formats, right up to the 2007-2008 Cochran/Gemstone "EC Archives" hardcover series.

In 2007, Papercutz began publishing new Crypt stories under the auspices of former Marvel editor Jim Salicrup. This is the series that is still running, and which featured in 2008 a controversial cover with Sarah Palin attacking the Cryptkeeper with a hockey stick.

That's it! Not nearly as confusing as you might have thought! Here's the wiki entry, with references and links at the bottom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Crypt_%28comics%29

3. DanyKenobi340 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wow Merlin_Ambrosius69! You?ve been a huge help! Thank you so much for the info. :D
  4. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Of course! We classic horror fans stick together; there's so few of us left we have to be nice to each other! :D

BTW, in case you're wondering why Crypt of Terror began with issue #17, it's because the comic had previously been published as War Against Crime. As you may know, in the Golden and Silver Age of comics, publishers would often change the title and/or subject of their publications depending on the mood of the readership, while still retaining ties to pre-sold markets with the consistent numbering system. (For example, the Marvel comic THOR ran for many issues as Tales to Astonish; Spider-Man started as Amazing Fantasy, etc.)

5. DanyKenobi340 Jedi Knight

star 3
    [face_peace]

In fact I was wondering that, why it started with issue 17. That really cleared that up when you mentioned Amazing Fantasy.

Now I know that some of the Tales From the Crypt TV show episodes where based on some of the stuff from Crypt of Terror, Vault of Horror, Haunt of Fear...and I was wondering 'cause the 'Cryptkeeper' in the comics looks nothing like the one in the show, I figured that the cryptkeeper in the show would be featured in the newer comics.
  6. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    I need to amend my earlier assertion about THOR. It started out as Journey into Mystery. I believe Iron Man got his start in Tales to Astonish.

As to the Cryptkeeper, yes for the TV show they clearly went the Creepshow (1982) route and made the presenter one of the living dead. This was undoubtedly for marketing purposes: undead things are inherently more eye-catching than grinning old men with funny haircuts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.