Horror Film Musical Scores

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Drac39, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. RolandDeschain19 Jedi Knight

star 1
    The two I own are the two I considered worth owning, so here they are:

"Zombi: Dawn of the Dead" by Goblin
    "Zombie" by Fabio Fabrizi

... So I have a thing for zombie movie soundtracks. So sue me. :p
  2. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Moving this up because a) It's a good thread and b) I'm working on a "scary movie music" mix. :p
  3. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  4. Crash_Davis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for the up, General!

So in the spirit of Halloween, I thought I'd be a good idea the resurrect this classic.

So, what are some of yours?

For me:

1. Alien: The first horror film I'd ever seen. Goldsmith's score works because it captures the beauty and wonder of outerspace, while at the same time creating a very visceral, genuinely scary film score.

Funny story, I had this playing in the car once right around this time, and my then 8 year old daughter pleaded with me to turn it off. Bear in mind, she hadn't even seen the film at this point. Genius.

2. Aliens: Although not a horror film in the true sense of the word, there are parts of the score that just make you jump, especially if you haven't listened to it for quite some time.

I may be new here, but I see that Horner gets alot of flak for combining some of the "Wrath of Kahn" score with this one. As I have never listed to "Wrath of Kahn", I can't say objectively, but again, this score just works for me.

3. The Thing: Morricone's (sp?) synthsized motif truly conveys the paranoia of the men in this film, as well as the isolation of the group themselves. I remember the score alone scared the hell out of me after seeing the film.

4: Jaws: I suppose you could make an argument that this really isn't even a horror film, (seeing as it was rated PG,) but personally, I can't go into a pool by myself without Williams' ominous motif playing like a tape-loop through my head, and I love sharks!
  5. Whitey Force Ghost

star 6
    Although everyone talks about Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II, I think Christopher Young's other horror scores are notable as well. I have the main theme to The Grudge stuck in my head, and the the little snippets I've heard of Bless the Child make me ashamed I'm too embarassed to buy it.

6. Trentman359 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I really need to pick up the Alien score, tough to find though.
  7. Crash_Davis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's on the 20th Anniversary Edition DVD as an isolated score. :)
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    From Amazon:

Alien soundtrack!!

9. Trentman359 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I dont even own the movie:_|
  10. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Also on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00011V8IQ/sr=8-2/qid=1161125731/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-0351880-2443877?ie=UTF8
  11. MusicTrooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok, in the spirit of Halloween, here are some ideas....

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/MusicTrooper/animal-bat.gif]

THE BLOB____(Steve McQueen)___ok, ok, but still a fun song with a most wacy beat (calypso?)

TOCCATA AND FUGUE in D-Minor____ok, ok, but it is a classic in more films than I can know of

EXPERIMENT IN TERROR____What can I say, I am a Mancini fan:)

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTIEN____back on topic?___ok maybe not, but still a fun score,
    that would later be used as soundtrack music (along with Franz List's __Les Preludes)
    for all the old episodes of FLASH GORDON.

Finally, in the true spirit of this thread, and this STAR WARS board,

JOHN WILLIANS______THE FURY_____was a pretty cool soundtrack score
  12. Trentman359 Jedi Knight

star 2
    although i have no recomendations lets keep this thread alive in the spirit of Halloween[face_pumpkin]
  13. Crash_Davis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Trent,

Here's the one you want:

Alien 20th Anniversary DVD

Not only do you get the movie, but you also get Goldsmith's score.

They have this at my local Blockbuster, and I'm toying with the idea of picking it up, just for the score (already have the quadrilogy!)
  14. Trentman359 Jedi Knight

star 2
    that looks really cool, i might have to order it.
  15. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Knight

star 3
    Shore's The Fly certainly deserves a mention, though more of a tragic, operatic score for a horror film than a stereotypical horror score....

It has a finale that's as emotional as anything he's ever wrote.

ttbk
  16. Crash_Davis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I didn't even realize the score from the film was released. I'll have to put that one on my Christmas wish list. ;)

So, I took my own advice, and picked up the "Alien 20th Anniversary" DVD from Blockbuster. Finally, I have Goldsmith's score to this chilling horror classic!

Only problem is, the only way I can listen to it is at home on my DVD player, becuase I don't have a computer with a DVD drive.

But hey, I got the score! :)
  17. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    The score on a seperate disc?
  18. Crash_Davis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No, it is on the DVD itself. Tried it last night. From the Main Menu, you click Extras, and go to Isolated Scores. You select Isolated Music Score, and the movie plays, only with no dialogue, just the complete score, (used and unused tracks from what I can tell),

I wonder if there's a way you can pull the isolated score from the DVD, and save it to your computer as Windows Media Files, etc.

I only lack a computer with a DVD drive. :(
  19. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Hmm. Something to think about, I guess.
  20. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    None really scared me. But I do have my favorites.

-Friday The 13th scores by Harry Manfredini. Namely 1-6.
    -Halloween 1-2 by John Carpenter in association with Alan Howarth.
    -A Nightmare On Elm Street, mostly Freddy's theme.
    -Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992).
    -From Dusk Til Dawn.
    -The Omen (1976).
    -The Amnityville Horror (1979).
    -Aliens.
    -Predator 1 & 2.
    -Jaws.
  21. andy1044 Jedi Grand Master

star 2

Look online for a DVD audio ripper and rip the audio straight from the isolated score.
  22. shwanzi Jedi Knight

star 3
    The majority of my soundtrack colloction are horror scores. For some reason I gravitate toward those more than others.

Anything by John Carpenter is tops in my book, especially Prince of Darkness.

And although it's not really a horror movie, but it is scary and gory like one, Alien 3 by Elliot Goldenthal is my all time favorite.
  23. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'm listening to this right now, as a matter of fact. Great friggin' soundtrack.

As for 'it's not really a horror movie', I don't really think that applies to Alien or Alien 3. Neither one has alot of the trappings I associate with sci-fi; I think it's perfectly ok to describe them (as stephen king does) as a sort of reverse Lovecraft-us going to the Great Old Ones, instead of them coming to us. In other words, they're horror.
  24. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I'm a sucker for Bernard Herrmann's music. [face_love]
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.