main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Horror Stories in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by missile, May 25, 2016.

1. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    I am a recent new user here(great community by the way) and as I've going through the fandom,I've never really heard discussions about mixing horror with star wars. I've heard some discussions about deathtroopers, but apparently it wasn't received too well form the fandom for reasons(maybe i didn't look hard enough).

Has there been any star wars works relating to the horror genre. Because I see a lot of potential in star wars universe especially pertaining to dark siders such as the Sith. We usually(at least i never were) were never really scared nor dreaded the sith, we were made to feel intimidated by them, however i feel as if we never were made to feel fear from them (with some exceptions such as killing children but maybe that's a different kind of horror) except the characters in the story since there has always been opponents able to contend with them be it Jedi,bounty hunters, well trained individuals and forces such as clone troopers and mandolorians, or just plain superior numbers.And usually were always at one point or another are made too look in their pov's which while id does make them more intresting,it kinda takes away the fear factor from them. I want too see what its like for average joes like me living in the star wars universe to contend with trained force users or more specifically dark side ones without the help of other more capable people such as the jedi.

I feel theirs much potential here since dudes like darth sidous,darth vader,darth sion, and darth bane. I feel those are names that i should be scared ****less of instead i feel its more a gimmick now. I want too feel the dread and fear i once felt of people like palpatine since first seeing them (that hologram from ESB scared the hell out of me when i was kid) and also the fear that people like the rebels feel when going up against vader.Maybe we will get that in the rogue one movie coming out later in the year from vader but i don't know,it seems like he'll be facing special forces rebels which while it will make him more intimidating,it still wont make me feel an ounce of dread from him.

Any ideas for a horror story, cause it seems the sith temples on Korriban Moraban could be the setting of a very suspense filled slasher-film like story. Republic excavators could try too explore an ancient sith temple ignoring the warnings of the jedi. After going deep into the temple sith spirits would attempt to kill the intruders and now the republic agents must try to escape the temple. Better yet, they could have a jedi go with them as a guide and have him be slowly driven insane by the dark side filled temple. And instead of spirits trying to kill them, it could have the now fallen jedi pick them off one by one. Not only would we have something new,we can also learn more about sith temples and the dangers of the dark side for jedi that non force sensitives wouldn't mostly haft to worry about. Any other ideas intreasting ideas?

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    There were a few episodes of TCW that veered into horror, notably Legacy of Terror, Brain Invaders, parts of Monster, Darkness of Umbara and Massacre.

BobaMatt likes this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    There are a couple of novels regarding the zombie genre: "Dark Troopers" and "Red Harvest."

Danifae and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    (Speaking of which, I wonder why it has become the "zombie" genre. What movies and comic books refer to as a "zombie" has little in common with the original concept. In truth, it should be "ghoul" movies, comics, and so on)

5. missile

May 24, 2016
    I guess so for brain invaders,but again the since of fear in LOT is again held off by how nonchalant the jedi are about. Obi wan seems to be completely calm through the whole even being ballsy enough to try and negotiate with the queen(though that is the charm of obi wan). Even Luminara seems to be researved through out the event,even staying reserved when obi wan insist on seeing what happens if the queen turned her into a zombie(though he was never planning on it,she didn't). I don't think its a problem, their jedi and their supposed to be fearless as they were taught through out their life. But that still doesn't change what viewer feels and since the main characters aren't worried,why should the audience. As for the Umbara episodes, that gave off a more a gritty Vietnam war feel than a horror feel.

6. missile

May 24, 2016
    yeah, but are zombies scary these days now?

god damn it, how do i delete a duplicate post?

7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Attack of the Clones

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This...is actually a pretty good idea, and I think you've hit on something here. The idea of actually being scared of a villain, of feeling a sense of fear or dread when they show up, is fresh and interesting (at least it is to me). Referencing the fear you felt when you first saw such villains as Palpatine and Vader, it would be great if the EU could accomplish this.

This is, of course, much more difficult to pull off in literature than it is on screen, but it can be done.

Vader in Splinter of the Mind's Eye might be a good example. Yomin Carr on Belkadan in Vector Prime is the closest thing to a horror story that I can remember, though it was only a small portion of the book.

Btw, neither of the above could really be described as horror novels. Don't want to mislead you.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nom Anor and Yomin Carr both scared the **** out of me.

It would be interesting to see a horror novel in the SW universe but so far to my knowledge there have been none.

Talos156, Gorefiend and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015

I second this....

But in all seriousness Death Troopers is probably the closest horror novel you will come to find. I didn't pick up Red Harvest however I am starting to think I should have.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, sometimes the Vong were seriously scary.

Force Smuggler and Scapro Tyler like this.
  12. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Nah. The Vong weren't scary.

Some of the crazy Sith stuff in the Legends comics freaked me out though. Bad ju ju

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Does Abeloth count as horror?

14. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I like to think so.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I can't say I care at all for horror stories, honestly. Just throwing that out there.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Galaxy of Fear fits the "junior horror" archetype typified in the mainstream by Goosebumps.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Okay, that's fair.

How do you feel about villains giving you a sense of anxiety, of worry?

If a villain can give me a sort of mini panic attack, can cause heavy breathing and a sort of fight or flight response, that villain is incredibly effective, imo.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed.

19. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I have purchased very few SW EU novels in the past 15 years, but made an exception for Dark Troopers when it was released (in 2009, IIRC). Anyway, great book - and, it very successfully combined SW sci-fi & horror.

20. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Something I thought The Clone Wars did really, really well was show the dark side of the Force to be more than just a couple of mean powers and cool tattoos. We get glimpses into it when we see what the Nightsisters can do, or when Dooku and Palpatine do their cool Sith ritual that draws Yoda into a dream world...but honestly the best depictions of what the dark side really look like are the two times we get to see someone driven totally mad by a glimpse at it. Sifo-Dyas is totally broken, and whatever Palpatine showed fives behind closed doors reduced him to a gibbering mess.

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Weren't the old Galaxy of Fear books basically SW's answer to Goosebumps?

DelRiego and Iron_lord like this.
  22. CloneTrooper9000

CloneTrooper9000 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    So far, as the novels go, there has been Death Troopers and Red Harvest, both by Joe Schreiber. Unfortunately, I thought they were both pretty bad. Death Troopers started off pretty well, but midway through the book any tension or uncertainty goes out the window due certain characters showing up. As for Red Harvest, I just thought it was a poorly written mess.

It's a shame too, because in a universe as big as Star Wars, I think there's plenty of room for some great horror stories.

23. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Nom Anor started getting really creepy for me around the time I started to read Crimson Empire.

Kenobi098 likes this.
  24. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013

The venom spitting Eye thing creeped me The heck Out.

25. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    "Dark Troopers", it started out real strong, but after awhile, the author seemed to stop pulling the reader in. Sith Legends, there are a few horrors Sith Lords. XK was a vicious Sith Lord.