main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hospitality--JA

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jane Jinn, Mar 16, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    On the viewscreen of the small ship, Obi-Wan Kenobi could see that they were passing over a large city as they descended for a landing, but to his surprise, the tarmac was situated inside a huge enclosed estate of rolling lawns and wooded areas, with several small lakes that glittered in the morning sun. Standing up from the co-pilot's seat as soon as Obi-Wan had set the ship down, Qui-Gon Jinn went back through the lounge and knocked on the door of one of the two tiny cabins. There was a sound from inside, and he took it as permission to enter.

Raising her head from the pillow, Teokhian Harjis blinked up at him in confusion.

"We've landed,"he reported.

"Already?"she croaked.

"You've been asleep for several hours."

"I have?"She rubbed her hand over her eyes."Yes, I suppose I have. Can you give me a few minutes? I don't want my father to see me like this."

"Of course."Smiling, Qui-Gon went out again, and almost ran into Obi-Wan."She'll need a few minutes, Padawan. Why don't you run on ahead and tell them we're coming?"

"Yes, master."As it was an official occasion, Obi-Wan pulled on his brown Jedi robe, then opened the loading ramp and walked down. A group of men who had been waiting at the edge of the tarmac now moved closer, and he saw that the leader was wearing a thin gold circlet around his head. This must be Khian's father. Smiling, he bowed."Governor Harjis. I am Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi apprentice. Teokhian and my master, Qui-Gon Jinn, will be out in just a few minutes."

"Splendid, splendid,"smiled the man."How is she?"

"Fine. A little tired, I think , but otherwise fine."

"How was the journey?"

"Quiet."

"Good. Things have been quiet here, too. We've achieved a cease-fire and now, with the Jedi here, we hope to have the peace treaty signed within a few days."There was genuine hope in the man's voice.

"Master Jinn is very good at arranging fair treaties,"Obi-Wan remarked.

"Then we are doubly lucky to have him. Tell me, Obi-Wan, did the Jedi Council pick him especially for this mission?"

"Well...in a way..."

"Or were you two just closest to Aldaraan at the time?"

"Yes."Obi-Wan smiled apologetically. Khian had been attending school on Aldaraan, far away from the war and turmoil on her home world of Eathmettu, and he and Qui-Gon had had to make an emergency landing on a barely civilized planet in a nearby system. Immediately after they had been rescued and their ship repaired, the Council had asked them to collect Teokhian and take her home, at her father's request.

There was movement at the top of the ramp, and Obi-Wan turned to see Khian come racing down, Qui-Gon following at a more dignified pace. Halfway towards the group of men, however, she stopped, her expression changing from eagerness to sudden anger, and then she whirled and launched herself at Qui-Gon."You lied! You lied to me! You said you were taking me home and now you're handing me over to the Betwiohs!"

Qui-Gon caught her wrists before she could strike him and asked,"Isn't that your father?"

"No, that is not my father! That is my father's enemy! Laisian Betwioh!"

Obi-Wan had been so mesmerized by this drama that he was taken unawares. A hand gripped his arm and twisted it behind his back, and the person behind him pushed the muzzle of a blaster under his chin, forcing his head up a bit. Another man pulled his light saber away and presented it to Betwioh.

"These are the coordinates we were given."Qui-Gon spoke slowly, glancing around to size up the situation. He caught sight of Obi-Wan, and let go of Khian. One of the men rushed forwards and grabbed her elbow, pulling her to one side and poking a blaster into her neck.

"That's right, Master Jinn,"said Laisian Betwioh, turning the light saber in his hands."These are the coordinates you were given."

"The message was faked,"Qui-Gon stated.

"That's right,"said Betwioh again."Except for our plea for Jedi assistance at the peace talks. That part was true. We were losing the war before. We had to surrender. But now that we've got Teokhian, we will come out the w

2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Gee why does this story look familar tongue.gif

Kithera

3. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Wow! Very cool! I wasn't expecting this at all! Keep posting!

4. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    OOhhh. AJane Jinn original.
    Hmmm, I wonder if there'll be any Obi-Torture?

5. Jedi Igraine

Jedi Igraine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 1999
    YEAH more Obi-Torture!!!! Go Jane.

6. R U Sidious

R U Sidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 1999
    Here we go again. If you want torture Jane's the one to write it. How old is Obi-Wan supose to be? If you have him get married again I'll have to change my story. But if that's the plan go for it. Great begining.

7. Amarice

Amarice Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 1999
    It's a Jane Jinn fanfic! Watch out Obi-Wan.

8. Sat'zi

Sat'zi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2000
    Yay! A Jane Jinn story......

RUN OBI-WAN!

9. Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 1999
    Here we go again.

10. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    Obi's about to be JANED!!!! tongue.gif

If any1 wants to see Qui-Gon janed check out the Ultra-stressed Jedi students thread!!!

11. Flip A Coin

Flip A Coin Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2000
    Go for the heroics Obi! You know you want to !

12. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Thanks for the response, but it's not torture time just yet, so be patient, please.

They walked to the waiting speeders and Betwioh motioned for Khian to sit next to Obi-Wan in the back seat of his. The guards divided themselves up among the remaining two, and they whizzed down the road, turned left, then went through the arched gateway of what appeared to be an ancient castle. The speeder stopped in the inner bailey, and as Obi-Wan got out, he could see water over the surrounding walls. The castle had been built on an island in the middle of a lake.

Four people came tumbling out of the main door of the castle at their arrival. The oldest one, a boy about twenty, got there first, quickly followed by two other boys, both younger. The middle-aged woman came at a more sedate pace.

"Here are our guests,"Betwioh said heartily."This is Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi apprentice, and Teokhian Harjis. This is my wife, Yrnan, and my three sons, Arun, Eald, and Iorn."

Arun, the oldest boy, reached out his hand and took Khian's, turning it over and kissing the back of it with a little bow. Then they both spoke at the same time."Haven't I seen you before?"

They laughed, and Arun indicated that Khian should speak first. With another little giggle, she said,"I remember you from before the war! We met at a sort of reception, wasn't it? You've certainly grown up since then!"

"So have you, Teo."Arun sounded very admiring.

"Khian,"she corrected him."Never Teo."

"I'll remember. Khian."Smiling, Arun turned to Obi-Wan and reached out his hand. Obi-Wan hesitated, wondering if the boy was going to kiss him, too, but finally extended his hand and was relieved when Arun only shook it."Hello, Obi-Wan, pleased to meet you."

"I'm pleased to meet you,"he replied.

He then shook Eald's hand, who immediately said,"Pleased to meet you, how old are you?"

"I'll be eighteen soon,"Obi-Wan said.

"I'm eighteen already."

"And I'm twelve,"said Iorn, grabbing Obi-Wan's hand."Wow, a real Jedi!"

"An apprentice,"Obi-Wan corrected him with a smile.

"Have you ever been tortured?"

There was a sudden, shocked silence around them, as though they were both horrified and yet waiting anxiously for Obi-Wan's answer. He froze, not wanting to admit the truth, not wanting to think about it again, and was grateful when Betwioh said firmly,"Iorn, that is not a suitable subject for conversation. Would you really like to spend the day in your room until you can find one that is?"

"No, father."

"Apologise."

"I'm sorry, Obi-Wan, I was just--curious. See, I've been reading all these books about Jedi Knights and--"Iorn caught his mother's eye next and gulped."I'm sorry, anyway."

"It's all right,"said Obi-Wan, forcing himself to relax. Turning to Yrnan Betwioh, he shook her hand and said,"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mistress Betwioh."

"Oh, please, call me Yrnan. You're a guest, not a protocoll droid. Now come, Obi-Wan, Khian, I'll show you to your rooms."

As they went inside and up a grand stone staircase, Iorn bounced to Obi-Wan's side and asked,"Can I see your light saber? I won't touch it, I just want to look at it."

"I--your father took it away from me,"Obi-Wan said.

"He did? Why?"

"Because,"Obi-Wan said, seraching for the right words,"I am a guest in your house."

"And guests don't need to carry weapons,"Betwioh reprimanded his son.

"But he's a Jedi, Father! He's got to have his light saber!"

"Iorn!"

"This will be your room, Khian."Yrnan threw open a door on the left hand side of the corridor, then walked around a corner and indicated a door on the right."And this will be yours, Obi-Wan."

"Thank you,"said Obi-Wan. It was luxuriously large and surprisingly modern, with a comfortable-looking bed on one side, and a living area on the other.

"You'll have to share the refresher with Eald, but I don't think you'll mind, do you?"

"No, of course not."Obi-Wan pulled off his brown cloak and hung it up. The official occasion was over, and it was really too hot to wear. Eald and Iorn were hanging about the doorway, obviously waiting for him, so he

13. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Pretty cool, I'm intrigued. Keep on!

Does the impending Obi torture involve getting bludgeoned on the playing field?

14. Alli-Wan

Alli-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 1999
    Originally posted by Jane Jinn:

You're a guest, not a protocol droid.

I'd beg to differ, but that is another matter.

Good work thus far, but by now, Obi-Wan shouldn't need the Force to have a "bad feeling about this."

Cringing, but intrigued. Awaiting more.
    --AWK

15. Amarice

Amarice Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 1999
    I think I sense a little romance between Khian and Arun. I wonder if he's going to eventually help her escape.

16. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Sheesh, you guys, can't Obi-Wan have one single hour of fun without ending up bruised, battered, and bloody? You'll have to wait to find out, though!

"My name is Qui-Gon Jinn, I am a Jedi Master. I have some important news for Governor Sceatt Harjis about his daughter,"Qui-Gon repeated patiently over the comlink.

"Do not deviate from your present course. We will send starfighters to accompany you."

The starfighters appeared within seconds, guiding the small ship over the landscape, occasionally giving directions, until they landed on an airstrip near a large city. Qui-Gon exited the shuttle and stood on the tarmac, waiting patiently as the Harjis guards surrounded him, then showed him into a closed speeder and drove him around to a large palace set in extensive grounds on the edge of the city. In the evening light, he could see one bomb crater in the middle of what had been an ornamental lawn, but the palace itself seemed to have got off lightly. He was led to a room on the ground floor obviously furnished for waiting in.

Several minutes later, a man appeared, middle aged, shorter and stouter than Qui-Gon, with hair once brown but now generously streaked with grey, and wearing a thin gold circlet similar to the one Betwioh had worn, but slightly more ornate. He was followed by another man, younger and leaner, who stayed in the background but eagerly followed every word, and several bodyguards, who did not bother to disguise their boredom as they spread out around the room.

"Jedi Master Jinn? I am Sceatt Harjis, Governor of this Territory. You have important news about my daughter?"

Qui-Gon bowed."Yes, Governor. May I explain? The Jedi Council received a request that Teokhian Harjis should be picked up from her school on Aldaraan and returned to her father."

"I gave no such request! The peace treaties have not been signed, the war could start again at any moment! Where is she? What have you done with her?"

"We had no reason to doubt the authenticity of the request, Governor. My apprentice and I picked her up and took her to the coordinates that were given us."

"And you landed smack in the middle of Betwioh Territory,"Harjis guessed.

"Yes, Governor, we did. It was an honest mistake, I assure you, but I offer you my humblest apologies."

"And now that monster has my daughter."

"Governor Betwioh is also keeping my apprentice, though I realise that is no comfort to you."Qui-Gon handed over the data pad."These are his terms for peace. He asked me to inform you that he will be in contact with you later."

Harjis scanned the requirements and his face turned pale with anger."Betwioh is a harsh man. He knows I cannot refuse him anything, now that he has my daughter."

"I am sure that we can negotiate with him--"Qui-Gon began.

"What if he tortures her?"

"He said nothing of torture, Governor. He said that they would be honoured guests at his estate."

"Honoured guests, indeed! No, I won't negotiate. He knows I'd do anything to keep her safe, and he's taking shameless advantage of the situation, but I will let him. I haven't seen my daughter for more than three years. I want her to come home safe and sound, as soon as possible. Cyning, open a frequency to Betwioh. We'll tell him that I accept his terms."

They moved out of the reception room down the hall to the com center, but although they tried until midnight, there was no response from Betwioh, and Cyning finally said,"He's doing this to you on purpose, Uncle, letting you worry about her. He might even be planning to demand more."

"Blast the man,"Harjis growled, and then he sighed."How did he know where she was? How did he find her? We took so many precautions!"

"Perhaps there is a spy, or a traitor, among us,"Cyning suggested."Someone must have betrayed her, but I do not think it was by accident."

"Who would deliberately do such a thing?"Harjis leaped to his feet."Master Jinn, you had no difficulties in persuading Khian to come with you, did you? You knew all our passwords."

"That is true, Governor. She was completely convinced that

17. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    Great work Jane!!!!

Let Obi have his fun, but he will have to endure a bit of torture. It's a Jedi ting!

18. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    YES! TORTURE! TORTURE!

Sorry. Got a bit carried away there...

19. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    The game ended with Arun and Khian winning by one goal. Despite getting whacked in the legs a few times, Obi-Wan had caught on quickly and had assisted Eald in several goals. Towards the end, he'd managed to make a few of his own. Iorn had even shot a goal, which had excited him so much he'd thrown up his stick in celebration and had narrowly missed hitting Obi-Wan in the nose with it. But the shadows were lengthening across the grass, and eventually, Arun called the time. He and Khian put their heads together for a moment, then came apart laughing.

"And now,"Khian called,"the winning team gets to throw the losing team in the lake!"

Expecting them to start with Iorn, who had come last to the heorlan pitch, Obi-Wan was taken unawares as they came up on either side of him. Suddenly, he was being propelled towards the water, and before he could offer any serious resistance, they had each gripped an arm and a leg. He hung above the surface for just a moment and then splashed in.

As he came up, spluttering and coughing, Eald and Arun, locked in a tussle, fell in at the same time and almost swamped him. The three of them crept out onto the bank together, grinning at the sight of Khian chasing Iorn around the pitch, and Arun called out,"Oh, let him go, Khian, the little coward!"

In a low voice, he said,"Eald, Obi-Wan, let's get her!"

They waited a moment until Khian came back, and then they lunged towards her. Obi-Wan managed to catch her legs as Arun and Eald took her by the arms, and she made a very satisfactory splash as she went under.

"All right,"she grinned as she came up again."I deserved that. There's just one problem, Arun. I haven't got any spare clothes here."

"Neither have I,"Obi-Wan suddenly realised. Everything was still aboard the ship, and the ship was now somewhere on the other side of the planet.

Arun reached out a hand to haul Khian from the water."You can wear something of mine, Obi-Wan. We're about the same size. And Khian can wear something from...Iorn."

"I'm not that small!"

"I'd offer you mine, but since I'm actually taller than Arun--"Eald began.

"You are not! Anyway, we can find something that I've grown out of."

They started walking down the path to the castle, and Iorn, who had been hiding behind a tree, raced on ahead. He must have told Yrnan that they were coming, because she met them in the inner bailey with a handful of towels.

"You are not going to drip lake water all over the house,"she announced."Strip down and dry yourselves off before you come in. Khian, my dear, you come with me."

Leading the young lady around to the side entrance of the castle, she hushed her into the equipment room for some privacy. Arun and Eald began to peel off their wet clothing, and after a moment, Obi-Wan did the same. He was just knotting the towel around his waist when Arun suddenly said,"Freezing hells, Obi-Wan, what happened to your back?"

Startled, Obi-Wan tried to look over his shoulder, wondering if he'd got an injury in the game that he hadn't noticed, but couldn't see anything. And then he realised what Arun, and now Eald, was staring at, and felt his face turn hot with embarrassment."Oh...that."

There was a silence, and he stared over the wall around the island to the water beyond. Trying to keep his voice emotionless, he said simply,"I was tortured. On our last mission."

"Freezing hells,"said Arun again."Did they flog you, or what?"

"Yes."He hoped they didn't ask more. He didn't want to remember. He didn't want to tell them about how it had happened, what they had done to him besides the flogging. Glancing down at his hands, Obi-Wan saw that he had clenched them to fists and that he was shaking at the memory. Why was he reacting like this? He realised he hadn't had a chance to get over it yet. He had only come out of the bacta that morning, when the rescue ship had dropped them off close to Aldaraan, and they had flown straight to Khian's school as soon as he'd got dressed. There hadn't been time to meditate, to release his feelings to the Force, even to te

20. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Hey, I just found this story and I like it a lot! I'm curious to see how you will work Obi-torture into this. It is coming, isn't it?

21. OldSkippy

OldSkippy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2000
    I like this a lot too but I'm unsure as to whether you are going to introduce Obi-torture or merely torture your readers with the tantalising *possibility*!

Either way, it's very enjoyable reading ... Thank you!!!

22. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, if it keeps people reading my story, yes, Obi-Torture is coming up. Just not quite yet, I'm afraid. Please keep reading, and commenting, otherwise I might get discouraged and give up altogether.

It was bedtime, but Obi-Wan had not undressed. Instead, he sat on the floor of the bedroom, his eyes closed in meditation. It had been a long, busy day, but he had the distinct feeling it was not over yet, and was not surprised to hear the soft knock on his door.

"Come in,"he called out.

It was Betwioh."Obi-Wan, would you come with me, please? I'm ready to contact Harjis now. You might be able to speak with your master for a moment."

"What about Khian?"he asked, standing up."Is she coming, too?"

"She's just getting dressed again now."

They walked around the corner to Khian's room and she appeared in the doorway a moment later, tying her hair back and looking eager. As they went down the stairs, she looked at Obi-Wan and remarked,"I haven't spoken to my father for three years. I hope he recognises me."

"Didn't you send holo-transmissions?"Obi-Wan asked.

"We sent letters to each other, under different names. My father was afraid to transmit anything in case Betwioh intercepted it and found out where I was--"she stopped, looking puzzled."I wonder how he did find out. You didn't have any trouble finding me. I really thought my father had sent you. He must have discovered everything--but how?"

"A spy? A traitor?"

"There weren't all that many people who actually knew, and I thought we could trust them all."Khian sounded troubled.

Obi-Wan shrugged as they went outside to the waiting speeder. It took them to an official-looking ship on the tarmac, and from there they flew to a cluster of government buildings in the capitol city. Here, Betwioh took them to a communications room and one of his civil servants set up the connection.

Sceatt Harjis appeared instantly, as though he had been waiting."Khian! Are you all right?"

"I'm fine, father. Governor Betwioh has treated me like an honoured guest the entire time."

"Good, good. Betwioh, I've had time to think about your proposals, as you've no doubt planned. The life of my daughter is worth more to me than any territory. I'll give you everything you want."

"I thought you'd see things my way, Harjis,"Betwioh smiled.

"I want her back. Now."

"I'll keep her until the end of the negotiations. You have her own word for it that she's being treated well."

"I give you my word as a Harjis that I will do as you say, but now I want her back."

"I don't trust you, Harjis. You'll get her back at the end of the negotiations, when everything is official and has been witnessed by the Jedi."

Qui-Gon stepped forward and said,"Governor Betwioh, this has been witnessed by the Jedi. You would show true magnaminity by returning his daughter before the negotiations start."

"I would, yes, but I know from experience that Harjis would immeidately try to bargain something else, and keeping his daughter here with me is the only way to prevent that. Here, Obi-Wan, tell your master how well you're being treated here."

Obi-Wan came to stand next to him."It's true, master, we're being treated as though we're part of the family. Governor Betwioh has three sons and we played a game called heorlan this afternoon and then we threw each other in the lake, that's why I'm dressed like this. And they've got a protocoll droid that can cook even better than you!"

This made Qui-Gon smile, as he had hoped.

"Governor Betwioh, why don't you let me visit my father for a few hours and show him that I'm all right, and then I'll come willingly back to your estate,"Khian suggested, but Betwioh shook his head."He wouldn't let you come back. No, Khian, you'll remain here."

He reached out and abruptly ended the transmission."The negotiations will start to-morrow, Khian. They won't take long, and you'll be home soon enough."

23. OldSkippy

OldSkippy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2000
    I'm not actually advocating Obi-torture, indeed, the way this is going at the moment I think Qui-torture is far more likely <g>. Besides, I'd like poor Obi-Wan to have a little time to recover from his last disasterous encounter with an eligible female!

btw: Have you noticed just how often in this forum the phrase "poor Obi-Wan" turns up in the comments?

And I'll keep commenting if you keep writing Jane Jinn...

24. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    otherwise I might get discouraged and give up altogether

Now that is a horrible prospect. You've got my attention with or without Jedi-torture.
    In fact I really enjoy reading about the 'boys' having some fun.

25. Flip A Coin

Flip A Coin Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2000
    This story stands so well on its own without Obi-torture, I dont think you need to worry about including it just to keep readers from getting bored! Well, thats my humble opinion anyway....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.