main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Hostile Forces (Force Heretic AU) [UPDATED!]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Yeah, and you updated in several posts rather that just the one. Tsk tsk :p

Will read more thoroughly when I'm not in a rush to go out and be drunk.

2. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    *thumbs-up*

3. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    OK. Read, excellent updates. Good to see Kolot in action. Also nice to see the 501st too.

4. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    At last! And it was more than worth the wait!

And exactly what else has Parpa stashed away on Coruscant?

5. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Pel: A saarlac? :p

6. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Blended: rhymes with 'handbag'? :p

No, this isn't a real update - just a shameless up for Hug A Lurker Sunday, the start of Lurker Appreciation Week...

So, if you're reading the 'fic and not posting - thanks anyway, and I hope you're enjoying it! :D :D

[:D] **runs round hugging all the lurkers' shins** [:D]!! :p

[image=http://img95.echo.cx/img95/2507/pain5hz.jpg]

Belek tiu, lurkers!

- The Imperial Ewok

7. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    [Big, silly, Sith-eating Ewok grin! :D]

Yep! It's back! :cool: [face_laugh] :eek:

In case you've forgotten, Hostile Forces is an AU of the Force Heretic trilogy, an alternative account of events late in the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, designed as a critcial and artistic engagement with some of the continuity and characterization decisions in the pro-'fic, and written to be read as an "in-universe" account that tells a very different story from the official one.

It's been more than a year since I've posted anything at all in this 'fic, and rather longer than that since I've actually written very much of it, but I'm going to try to push this story through to the conclusion.

On the one hand, I worry that my writing style has changed, and I've lost touch with the characters' voices as they developed over the course of the 'fic. I also have some major restructuring and simplification to perform in some elements of the plot. But, that said, some large chunks are already written, so they'll hopefully guide me as I try to manoeuvre the plot to some sort of climax...

And now:

For those of you who've forgotten what's happened so far...

The New Republic has been broken.

Almost a year has passed since the Yuuzhan Vong conquered Coruscant, and began to remake the Galactic capital as the centre of their alien empire. In the aftermath of this shocking defeat, ex-Republic forces rallied and won a victory over the invaders at Ebaq 9, but the new Galactic Alliance lacks the strength to follow up on its success, and the Yuuzhan Vong are steadily entrenching themselves in the Core Worlds and Inner Rim.

To consolidate their victory, the Yuuzhan Vong have dispatched a powerful battlegroup against the Imperial Remnant on the Outer Rim. But Supreme Commander Varhao Choka has found that Grand Admiral Pellaeon had been expecting just such an assault - and his forces have been augmented by a Jedi mission, originally dispatched to locate the mysterious "living planet" Zonama Sekot, but waylaid at Bastion by the alien assualt.

Now, Luke Skywalker is commanding the mighty Super Star Destroyer Indomitable, and learning to cope with the transformation of his wife Mara, now as much hunting-animal as she is human after her captvity among the Yuuzhan Vong. Princess Leia and See Threepio are trapped with Imperial Army forces on the foundry world of Steel City, while her daughter Jaina Solo and her lover, Chiss-trained pilot Jagged Fel, have found themselves leading a wing of Imperial TIE pilots, including the cocky Alderaanian ace Alex Vancer, cynical journalist-reservist Finn Reay, and the all-girl Valkyrie Squadron.

Meanwhile, Leia's husband Han Solo and his small battlegroup are in the Koornacht Cluster, where they have linked up with resistance forces under the command of Wedge Antilles and other veterans of Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron. Han has dispatched his son Jacen, along with young X-wing pilot Nika Aerryder, to hunt down battle-scarred Jedi girl Tahiri Veila and Force-sensitive swordsman Lance Serenno, who have fled together to the Hapes Cluster, where Queen Tenel Ka has just been taken prisoner by a mysterious faction of Yuuzhan Vong, allied with aliens including the Ssi-Ruuk and the Hutt warlord Jazza.

Meanwhile on Coruscant, the Supreme Overlord presides over a vicious court where the Yuuzhan Vong elite scheme and manoeuvre - intendants like the corpulent, world-weary Legate Dannar and warriors like the cynical, deadly Commander Na'khai, leader of the elite guard known as the Chosen.

In the deserted lower levels of the fallen city-world, however, the disgraced Yuuzhan Vong spy Nom Anor has discovered that resistance to the conquest still continues - in the form of a force of mysterious Imperials, led by a Royal Guard and an enigmatic Jedi, including a detachment of stormtroopers from the 501st Legion and a disconcerting battallion of battle-bred Ewok clones.

But in Imperial Space, at the Battle of Bastion, the next phase of the combat is about to begin....

8. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Admiral Pellaeon studied the wavering, quarter-sized holo of Luke Skywalker on the Chimaera?s quarterdeck display, searching the man?s expression and posture for signs of doubt or weariness. Tschell?s doubts had rubbed off a little on him, perhaps ? or perhaps he just wanted to take a proper look at the greatest warrior of the Rebel Alliance, and work out why he felt so sure that he was doing the right thing in asking him.

?Grand Admiral,? he said, a faint smile on his face. ?If I understand you right, you?re asking for a kid who briefly made the newsfeeds thirty years ago.? He paused, and shook his head wryly. ?A much younger man than me. Until this morning, I don?t know? I guess I thought he died at Derra IV.?

Pellaeon chuckled softly. The light-footed way Luke Skywalker stood, and the old pilot?s uniform he wore, belied his attempts at modesty. As did his smile.

?It?s a long time since I?ve even thought about this sort of thing, sir. Since I thought this way.? A shrug, and the blue eyes seemed to dance. ?But I guess I can see why you might see things rather differently. I guess that?s why you?re Supreme Commander of the Imperial Starfleet, and I?m?.? He smiled, and flashed a tip-salute, then shook his head. ?I?m just a kid from Tatooine. I can?t even salute properly. But I guess, if you think I can do anything useful?.? He trailed off, and his face grew sad. ?Your TIE pilots are the people who should be doing this, Grand Admiral. People like Colonel Solo. They have the training, the real combat experience. But? I?ll give it my best shot, sir.?

?Yes, Commander,? he nodded, his voice low like a whisper. ?I?m sure you will.? The recording was a lightspeed pulse, almost an hour old, but he was sure, on some level, that the Jedi could hear him. ?That would be? useful. Very useful indeed.?

The image wavered and vanished, and Pellaeon turned back towards Tschell, smiling as he saw the doubtful look on the younger man?s face.

?You don?t like this, Colonel?? he asked.

?I? no, maybe. That is, I think I would prefer this solution, yes,? Tschell admitted. ?At least, I think so. But on another level, there?s the question of acceptable risk, sir ? the Battlemoon is an immediate threat? and, ah, the option we discussed earlier is available to us. It is, after all, simply another weapons system?.?

?So was the Death Star,? Pellaeon nodded, his steely smile flexing like the blade of a duelling-sword.?Yes, Starkiller is available ? but it is a rather drastic solution to the problem at hand, which is, after all, simply a rather more aggressive variant of the threat we faced from the New Republic for twenty years.?

?The Yuuzhan Vong killed the New Republic,? Tschell reminded him.

?Perhaps,? Pellaeon shrugged. ?I?m sure we could have as well, if we?d deployed Starkiller against them. Not even Ysanne Isard was that rash. But all that would have achieved would have been to abandon the Galaxy to anarchy and the power of unchecked aggression. No, Colonel ? if Commander Skywalker can do what I hope he can, then I think we can win this battle without resorting to such drastic measures, yes??

?And if not?? Tschell asked.

Pellaeon shrugged, but his smile grew slightly broader all the same.

?If not, then we have only Varhao Choka?s own arrogance to fall back on, Colonel. But take a look at the tactical displays. Tell me what you see?

?Not much,? Tschell nodded, as they paced across the quarterdeck to the gunnery desk together. ?By bringing up the Battlemoon to bombardment orbit, the Yuuzhan Vong have had to rearrange that entire flank of their fleet formation as a screening force, but while that shows that Varhao Choka is aware of her vulnerabilities, that doesn?t actually weaken his lines. Even if Skywalker does try what you?re asking, he can leave those ships there and still? oh. Ah, yes. I think I see it now, sir.?

?Yes,? Pellaeon agreed. ?It?s the collateral to something Grand Admiral Thrawn used to say. In war, if you?re not careful about the way you use you

9. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000

Jaina Solo stepped out of the ?fresher and into their new cabin aboard Indomitable, towelling her hair, and grinning as she caught Jag?s eye.

She?d cut her hair ? or rather, had it cut ? just after they?d arrived aboard the Super Star Destroyer ? a ship so large that its crew went through a thousand haircuts every hour, and the officers had their own barbershop.

Quite a change from a Bothan Assault Cruiser.

The orderly ? a lean, tall girl from Prennin, hoping to set up a salon of her own after her military service ? had recommended a change.

Something short and spiky, she?d said.

She?d agreed.

She liked it that way, she realised.

And so did Jag.

?We don?t have long,? he warned her ? but he couldn?t stop smiling. ?Remember ? Commander Skywalker?s briefing?.?

?Uncle Luke?s giving a briefing to the pilots?? she asked, frowning slightly as she started to pull her uniform on. ?I never saw him as the sort to waste time with inspirational nonsense.?

?He?s the commanding officer,? Jag reminded her, standing up and leaning against the viewport. ?He?s also one of the most decorated starfighter pilots of the Civil War ? the man who destroyed the Death Star. From what the other wing commanders and squadron leaders were saying, he?s not lost his edge. No-one?s seen him in the cockpit yet ? leastways, they haven?t. But they?re looking forward to it. And I don?t blame them. I have.?

?I know,? she said, sliding her arms into the sleeves of her tunic, realising as she did so that no, she didn?t know. She?d never really thought of it like that. ?It?s just that? I guess I never thought of it like? thought of him like that. He?s always been ?Uncle Luke? to me. I don?t even know that much about what he did in the war.?

?Jaya,? Jag grinned, shaking his head in disbelief. ?Your ?Uncle Luke? is one of the greatest combat pilots in the Galaxy ? it was Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles who practically invented modern starfighter tactics, back during the Rebelion.?

?Oh,? she said quickly, surprised by the unexpected passion she seemed to have sparked in him. He never talks that way about me. Almost reluctantly, she pulled a boot on.?Yeah, I guess. I?ll be there, Jag. But I have to see something about? see someone about something, I mean.?

?Right away?? he asked, smiling at her, starting to walk towards her.

?I?d best get on,? she said, glancing at the chrono, sliding her other leg into the leather sleeve of the remaining boot, wriggling her toes and heel into place, and standing up. ?Why??

?Speaking of the greatest combat pilots in the Galaxy,? he grinned, looking her up and down, ?Watching you pull that uniform on made me want to see you take it right back off again?.?

?Is that an order, Colonel Fel?? she asked, her eyebrows lifting fractionally. She started to back away, and realised that he?d manoeuvred her up against the bulkhead. She stiffened automatically into something approximating at at-ease posture. She didn?t exactly feel much at ease, though.

?If it has to be, Colonel Solo? he said, his smile growing in response. He reached out, and tugged the corner of her tunic plastron open ?Then yes. You need a private briefing on maneovring and tactics. I?m not going to have my XO seem like she doesn?t know her stuff ? or let Commander Skywalker?s niece embarrass her uncle? her uncle? or her fiancée.?

?What?!? she asked, her spine tingling. Jag?s green eyes seemed very close, his grin disturbingly Corellian.

She heard a click, and looked down, to see a small leather box lying open in his black-gloved hand, a ring inside ? a band of white gold with a diamond glittering like a star in the centre of it.

She looked back at Jag, her mouth agape.

?Marry me?? he asked.

10. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Leia stood on the broad, flat expanse of the main launch-pad complex at the Steel City spaceport, staring at the horizon, surveying the Imperial positions guarding the approaches from the south. Massive SPG-8s hunkered behind thick ravellins of earth and rubble, ungainly AT-TDs lurching slowly over the uneven ground, files of infantry in white and khaki zig-zagging along hastily-cut trenches. Two batteries of artillery and one of light armour, a company of stormtroopers, and three batallions of line infantry ? or the gutted wreckage of what had once been three batallions, shredded into a regiment of ghosts by the Yuuzhan Vong before Jago had finally rotated them back out of the front line.

Now that she knew about the factories and the cloning facilities, Jago?s strategy made sense ? in more ways than one ? but she could also see the terrible risk the general was taking all the more clearly.

And the waste of lives? That was just a waste of lives.

?Mistress Leia?? an anxious voice asked, and she turned to see See-Threepio teetering towards her in ill-disguised panic. ?You really must get back into the command bunker ? or the hangar bays at least. Captain Hanger says there?s no no telling when the Yuuzhan Vong will launch another bombardment.?

?Thanks, Threepio,? she smiled.?I?ll come now. I just needed to see it for myself.?

?Oh, thank you, Mistress Leia!? the droid nodded, turning after her as she swung back towards the low, squat bulk of the big armoured hangar behind them. ?I do so detest this awful war. My poor circuits were never designed to take such strain?.?

Leia let him talk. She was genuinely touched that his concern for her safety had overriden his obvious terror, and the sound of his voice, fussy and frantic though it was, was a reassuring reminder of familiar things. Everything else was just too wrong for her to deal with right now.

Hanger and Lightmann were certifiably insane, Sergeant Tagger and the stormtroopers simply less talkative variations on the same theme. The Noghri were actually enjoying themselves ? although her bodyguards had followed her into more than enough war-zones before, it was the first time she?d ever really seen them in their element ? and Jocell had gone back to Indomitable, where every combat pilot was needed now.

Leaving her very much alone.

She missed her twins.

She missed her brother.

She missed Anakin and Chewie

She missed Alderaan.

She missed her father.

She missed Han Solo worst of all.

Sighing softly, she shook her head.

Right now, the Force wasn?t offering her any answer to any of that. Right now, a lifetime of diplomatic training and political experience didn?t seem like it could do anything to take the pain away, still less bring the dead back to life ? still less, stop the Yuuzhan Vong.

Right now, all she could do was fight.

11. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    By the summary you posted above this looks good.

Need to read it. Keep it up.

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    This was a welcome surprise indeed, Mr. McEwok. I'd almost forgotten about this story too :p

Hope this is the start of regular updates :D

13. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    *wipes eyes* okay...after two days of reading i've caught up!

This is a great and wonderful story, and am glad that I took the time to read it...

very, very interesting things going on here!

14. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    G__Anakin: By the summary you posted above this looks good.

Need to read it. Keep it up.

Thank you! :D It does have a lack of Anakin, but there's plenty of Tahiri... [face_mischief]

Spike2002: This was a welcome surprise indeed, Mr. McEwok. I'd almost forgotten about this story too :p

"Almost"? [face_thinking]

Speaking of which, where's your 'fic, huh?

Hope this is the start of regular updates :D[/i]

:D I hope so too - about once a week sound good for you? o_O

Kidan: *wipes eyes* okay...after two days of reading i've caught up!

:eek: Yikes! That was fast!

This is a great and wonderful story, and am glad that I took the time to read it...

Glad you enjoyed it - thanks for the reply... [face_blush] :cool:

very, very interesting things going on here!

Any chance you can pad the thread out with a few examples...? :p

- The Imperial Ewok

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Yes, almost :p

I have been uh...[GANDALF] Delayed...[/GANDALF]

And once a week sounds excellent ;)

16. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    :D

(for three different reasons)

- The Imperial Ewok :p

17. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    McE ?

Slowly but surely I'm wading through the morass of posts you call a fic. :p Very intriguing so far.

KT

18. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    :D I always wondered what it would be like to read straight through... [face_thinking]

And why does everyone use this word "intriguing" with my 'fic? o_O [face_thinking] :p

- The Imperial Ewok

19. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    For at least the third time since she?d stepped into the big hangar bay where the most recent arrivals were camped out, Jaina Solo wished she?d brought a stormtrooper with her.

The basic geometry was defined by two dozen tramp freighters and battered scouts and a few scarred military shuttles and snubfighters, parked tight together on the deck ? none going anywhere fast now, most of them so shot up that she was amazed they had flown in in the first place. Almost all the crews seemed to have settled down for the long haul, improvising extra spaces around their outsides of their ships with Army field tents, sheeting and scrap, and empty cargo cannisters, narrowing the slim gaps between the ships even further and creating a dangerous warren of shadows and overhangs.

Inside the hangar, with the stars shining like diamonds against the black backdrop on the far side of the main hatch?s mag-seal, it looked like a warped vision of an urban warfare training course.

She glanced at the ring on her finger, trying not to think too much about it. Jag Fel had asked her to marry him. She let the sense of happiness burn white and pure inside her, and left it at that. And she?d said yes. She was engaged.

Jaina Solo Fel, she tried. Jaya Fel. She frowned, and found the happiness inside herself, and smiled. And left it at that.

She was happy. And she liked that. She was smiling again.

Almost without thinking, she realised that she had just checked off a score of potential ambush points ? nooks, gullies, and darkened hatchways where an attacker could drag an unsuspecting mark out of the alley without them being able to so much as scream. In the few days since her first visit, the locals had apparently contrived to changed almost every detail of the place?s layout, rearranging the warrens of alleys between the parked ships in bewildering new combinations.

But it wasn?t just that. For her first visit, when the Queen of the Night had still been docked with the Golan-III, she?d made a point of wearing her old Rebel flights, finished out with a hide jacket, a crumpled shockball cap, and a nondescript tee, supplied by Caf Stargazer and some of the Fury girls. Only the BlasTech service pistol at her hip had even hinted that she might be an Imperial officer ? and a lot of people carried service pistols. Even her father.

She patted the pistol, snug in its holster where her lightsaber had once sat.

Her lightsaber?.

An elegant weapon for a more civilized age, Uncle Luke had called it, but she didn?t miss it. Only a matter of weeks since she?d lost the weapon that defined her as a Jedi Knight ? expended it as an improvised fragmentation grenade in a running firefight, almost in the same moment that she?d taken command of Imperial troops for the first time. A mismatched handful of grounded pilots from decimated units, and a rally troop of stormtroopers.

Even that felt like another lifetime, now.

She ran the diamond ring round her finger, still smiling.

Last time she?d come aboard the Queen of the Night, she?d been a Jedi Knight, an Alliance officer, wearing the sort of gear once worn by Rebel soldiers, and now by New Republic survivors.

This time, she?d made the mistake of wearing deck blacks.

The refugees were suspicious. They had come into Imperial space illegally, fleeing from what she supposed was still nominally New Republic or Galactic Alliance territory, and they had timed their arrival on Bastion to coincide with the scar-head attack. Trapped outside the planetary shields, they?d had little option but to accept the offer of a berth aboard the already crowded liner that was serving as an orbital clearinghouse for the displaced Reb citizens that the Empire was trying to accomodate.

She sighed.

Perhaps the uniform was part of the problem ? but at least it deflected the unwelcome attention of most of the refugee kids. The ones it didn?t discourage fell into two neat camps. There were the harmless ones, the ones she could smile at ? and the hard

20. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Pellaeon stood at the front of Chimaera?s bridge, watching the Yuuzhan Vong ships scattered against the stars with a thin, instinctive smile. So far, apart from the Battlemoon and the Provoker, Varhao Choka hadn?t brought up any reinforcements at all ? but that could mean a lot of things.

Pride or honour could mean that the Yuuzhan Vong commander was unable to call for reinforcements, whole task-forces might be being held back for some hammerblow strike, or it might just be that the Vong didn?t have the ships to spare any more ? just like the fact that the intendant-caste command ship seemed to be staying out of the firing-line could signal a lack of real combat-worthiness, some special military function, or a disagreement - personal or political ? between Varhao Choka and the Qaesite Vong prefect in command.

Nol Kheyanni, Dreyf had said her name was.

The thought reminded him of something else, and he turned slowly away, pacing back along the central gangway to the quarterdeck. To his quarterdeck.

?Commander Dreyf,? he said, raising his voice just slightly. ?Stand by to transmit an activation code to the Tonnant. But don?t transmit it yet. Don?t even prep-buffer the signal. Don?t do anything that might be mistaken for so much as an intention to send the signal. The code is: Killick Twilight.?

?Killick Twilight,? Dreyf repeated, scribbling some glyphs quickly on the top sheet of a small plast notepad. ?Do not transmit. Just stand by, sir. As you say?

?Thank you, Commander,? Pellaeon nodded, as Dreyf pocketed the palm-sized pad. ?Your way of ensuring that that signal doesn?t get sent is? creative, Commander.?

Dreyf flushed slightly

?Sorry sir.?

?That?s okay, Commander. Nothing wrong with creativity. Carry on.?

21. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Luke glanced up as he heard the turbolift hatch slide open again, far away at the back of the hangar bay, and he saw Jaina Solo slide silently into the rear ranks of the Indomitable?s assembled fighter pilots.

Even at that distance across the deck, he could see that her dark hair was braided back tightly now, wearing the armoured flight-suit of an Imperial pilot, a Wing Colonel?s tabs a jaunty splash of colour on the cuirass.

Even at that distance, the sight of her made him clench with worry.

She moved a lot like Leia, and a little like Mara. And on top of everything else, Jag Fel had filed the paperwork reporting their engagement that morning.

Luke cleared his throat, and nodded to Artoo. The astromech warbled in acknowledgement, and his input jacks spun in their ports on the side of the portable holostage. The emiter eye in the centre of the projector flashed alive, and a massive schematic unfurled in front of the assembled audience of Imperial pilots.

?The Battlemoon,? he said. ?Looks like a Death Star, acts like a Death Star ? but thankfully, the Vong don?t seem to have perfected the power-transfer systems or produced a properly efficient hypermatter core just yet.?

?Took the Empire thirty years,? a cool, familiar voice interjected, and his eyes shot up to the slim figure in grey coveralls leaning against the foils of a TIE on the overhead gantry ? hair razor-cut beneath her black forage cap, brim pulled low to shade her eyes to forest-green. But there was no mistaking the cut of her jaw, or the warmth in her smile.

As their eyes met, he felt the familiar tingle of her presence in the Force ? so intertwined with his own that she?d been able to hide from him with ease.

Mara.

The muscles around Luke?s eyes tightened just fractionally, but his scarred face split into a genuine smile.

?Thank you,? he nodded. I love you. ?That, for those of you who don?t know, is my wife. She?s here to keep me right about that sort of stuff.? He grinned up at her. ?The Battlemoon?s primary weapon is basically a very crude and primitive superlaser. No chamber stage, no compression-focusing. Just magnetically jacketed slugs of an impure hypermatter plasma, launched directly from the power-core. It compares to the original Death Star like a detuned holo-emitter to a turbolaser, but that still makes it capable of knocking out any of our ships that doesn?t get out of the way fast enough.?

He saw several pilots glance at him at that, and paused, momentarily confused. Mara tensed like a cat, and from the side of the holostage, Artoo warbled something rude. Several pilots chuckled at that.

Our ships?

?We?re on the same side now,? he shrugged, cuffing the droid?s dome. ?Thanks, little guy.?

More laughter ? but at the same time, he silently conceded that Artoo Deetoo was right. That slip of the tongue would have been unthinkable a few weeks earlier. He grinned, and looked at the audience. He no longer saw the black and khaki uniforms so much as the young, eager faces.

They were Imperial pilots, but Grand Admiral Pellaeon had put him in command, and all the old certainties had evaporated like stillwater in a Tatooine sunrise. He?d commanded Imperial troops before ? he?d even briefly served as Supreme Commander, trying to bring down the Empire from the inside. But it had never occurred to him that he?d ever feel he belonged, not simply fighting alongside Imperials in an alliance of convenience, but united with them in a common cause.

But then, it hadn?t been the Yuuzhan Vong they?d been fighting back then.

He cleared his throat, and looked up at the schematic of the Battlemoon.

?They produce a one-point-three-two-seven second burst every thirty-seven minutes fifteen seconds, capable of overpowering any deflector system up to a Class-Three rating. We reckon we have about hours until the continuing barrage overwhelms section C-19 of Bastion?s planetary shields ? perhaps less, if Varhao Choka manages to move any of his dreadnaughts forward into

22. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    wonderful as always....

And Jaina engaged is a happy girl...but I have to wonder why she wouldn't tell the guy he was looking at the peices of a lightsaber? Especially when she laters goes an tells him that she's an Alliance Officer and a Jedi Knight....

but oh well...

And what's up with the second part? What special part is the Tannat going to play....

anyways, great post as usual. More please!!

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Ah, history repeats itself. There's always a two-metre wide exhaust port somewhere ;) :p

24. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Kidan: wonderful as always....

[face_blush] Shush... thanks. :D

And Jaina engaged is a happy girl...but I have to wonder why she wouldn't tell the guy he was looking at the peices of a lightsaber? Especially when she laters goes an tells him that she's an Alliance Officer and a Jedi Knight....

but oh well...

:p

And what's up with the second part? What special part is the Tannat going to play....

There are several hints in the text about the Tonnant... and in one of those bizarre coincidences, like forty-man stormtrooper companies for the Empire of the Hand and two-seater Jedi Starfighter variants, WotC went and made Starkiller canon a few months back... :p

Of course, I still hope that it might surprise you what's atcually going on here... ;) [face_mischief] :D [face_whistling]

anyways, great post as usual. More please!!

Next few days. I'm just trying to decide how much of my old plans for Tenel Ka I should use... [face_thinking]

Spike2002: Ah, history repeats itself. There's always a two-metre wide exhaust port somewhere ;) :p

Well, the energy slug needs to be fired from somewhere, doesn't it - and if it helps, it's actually a massive pimple this time? :p

But yeah... :D

- The Imperial Ewok

25. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I'm on a limited time with my brother's computer. Hopefully mine laptop will arrive soon, to make a more detailed response possible.

It's all counting down very nicely. I hope we get front row seats at Shimrra/Omini's court when word gets out.

I wonder which Shaper is going to end up playing Bevel Lemelisk to the Battlemoon[face_skull]

Two meter windows?! Heh

Nom Anor should have been the historical advisor to the Qaesite Vong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.