Hot Enough for You?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Well, here in the London area it's warm. 31C (around 86F) according to the BBC London News.
    I managed to stay cool in the shade but the heat has also brought an explosion of annoying little buzzy greenish flies in my front garden (which is where the afternoon shade is!). Today I resorted to fly spray and eventually had to come indoors since they were driving me crazy.
    I feel sorry for anyone stuck on the trains or Tube today in London.

In addition there was a warehouse fire out at Heathrow and I could hear the sirens and see smoke rising in the distance this afternoon. (Couldn't smell It though).

So is everyone managing to keep cool? I won't even bring up the subject of rain - my grass had been brown for a couple of weeks now. At least that means I don't have to mow in the heat.
  2. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    It's ridiculously hot. [face_plain]

I spent Saturday in Skegness and Sunday at RAF Waddington's Air show, and have nasty sunburn. Hate it, hate it, hate it.
  3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    At least I don't have sunburn. It was too hot to sit in the sun today. (And I normally don't burn that easily anyway.)

Aloe Vera is real good for sunburn. If you can get a cream or spray that has that ingredient it might help the pain.
  4. emilsson Force Ghost

star 6
    It was sports day at work today. So I had to spend two hours in the afternoon on a field with absolutely no shadow (I was one of the time keepers for the races). Let's just say I have a very red face...
  5. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Well, at least You don't have to go abroad to get hot weather :p

It was even hot in the shade today, I couldn't go outside. I don't neccessarily mind this weather, but sleeping is very hard and the heat brings out oversized insects [face_worried]
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Yeah, I had problems sleeping last night as well. As a result I'm in a 'tetchy' mood today. Those nasty little flies were already buzzing around the front garden when I went for the papers so I think I will read those inside today.

Edit - and now my hayfever has decided to kick in. I just might go back to bed at this point. :(
  7. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    After Japan I've no chance ever being hot in the UK ever again, so it doesn't bother me :p
  8. Stormtrooper_fan Force Ghost

star 5
    It's raining here in Cornwall... has been all day. Personally I'm glad about it being cooler down here as heat makes me very sick!

It has been hot but maritime weather takes a bit of getting used to and is changeable at best
  9. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    We had some drizzle when I went for the papers around 8:30 am, but now the sun is out and it's getting warm again. At least my hayfever isn't as bad today.
  10. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    we just finished 95 and above temps all week.

and the ac was acting up at work.
  11. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Bloody whingers!

Then again, I can't complain, as Perth as had it's coldest winter yet.
  12. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    It's a lot cooler today. We had some rain while I was up in town but nowhere near enough for the parched garden. Now it's sunny with some clouds. I hope it stays cooler through tonight though - I could use some decent sleep.
  13. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I want to catch the next available flight to London. Perth is cold and wet and I want to visit my friends in the sunshine!
  14. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    London is cool and occasionally wet today so it wouldn't be much of an improvement, I'm afraid. I had to go out earlier and the windscreen wipers on the car were squeaking since they haven't been used in awhile!
  15. Louis_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    Big change in temp today, cloudy and overcast as well here in the midlands. Had to have the light on in the bathroom this morning it was so dark!
  16. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    It's overcast and damp but it still is muggy and a bit sticky where I am. Probably won't clear untill we get a good thunderstorm, it usually does the trick.
  17. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Does the friends bit not count???
  18. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I hear ya on the muggy and sticky. The sun got out for about five minutes in my area and made it twice as bad. Then it started to rain again. A good t-storm is just what we need.
  19. Louis_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    The rains coming down fairly heavy here now, could be that thunderstorm is on the way!
  20. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    We've had rain off and on today but it's been mostly light. It hasn't really helped the garden at all since you can still see that the soil is very dry if you scuff off the top bit. We need at least a couple of days of soaking rain - not light stuff that makes no difference or really heavy downpours that just run off.
  21. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Its been a very odd summer. The south-east has had a very hot and dry time of it, but in the north-west its been very, very poor, with lots of cloud and rain and low temperatures.

Still, if you guys down south think its been hot here, spare a thought for poor old Moscow where temps have been between 90-100f for about two weeks! An utterly incrdible summer going on there this year. :eek:
  22. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Isn't Moscow meant to be cold?

I don't expect the North of England to get the sort of temperatures that the South East gets, that area is closer to the European mainland and so will get the warmer weather that comes over. North being closer to the pole is automatically colder.

It has been nice having cooler nigth though, I was suffering from lack of sleep during the hot nights.
  23. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Moscow's average July maximum is very similar to Englands summer maximum temperature, somewhere around 21-23 (70-73f) Although being in the middle of a Continental landmass they are prone to more extreme's of heat in summer and can expect temperatures to reach 90f most summers (unlike the UK where temps of 90f are expected about one in three summers) Obviously though the temps they've been getting are way, way beyond anything they would usually see in a typical Moscow summer.

Its true that the south-east will usually have drier and warmer conditions than the north-west and this is mainly down to the Atlantic Ocean, which is the main driver for these regional variations, however July has been unusually extreme in the north-west/south-east split.
  24. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Yeah, I've had my share of sleepless nights here in the London area, mostly due to the humidity. And I don't even want to start on the garden. Most of it can withstand drought pretty well, but the grass is toast. And I've got a great crop of grasshoppers. One of the local cats has been coming over to try to catch them. It's fun to watch! Forecast is for rain overnight but we've heard that before.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.