main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA HOT Hardware

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SoulKrusher, Mar 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    well, this is just the one in my room ;)

2. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I would disagree that a 1700 is kinda low.. Its still 400-500mhz above the highest system requirements I've seen on any game to day (the highest being C&C @ min specs 1ghz)

I've only just found that some recent games are starting to run a bit chuggy on it (at the highest settings)..

That and the minimum recommended cpu for my gf4-ti4600 is a 1900xp, so my graphics card is being let down by my cpu (underpowered)..

So I thought I'd max my board out and go for a 2200xp (1.8ghz).. (hey, its an old board.. and 2200xps are relatively cheap atm)

Its either that or replace the whole lot. My thinking being I replace the chip now and then go for a higher board later, which in turn needs faster ram and can support a waay faster cpu..

Misfit: Got any 3dmark benchmarks? or Sisoft sandra results? I'd be interested in seeing what P4s can do these days.. My old one wasnt great.. which is why I replaced it with this one.

3. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    Tell me what to do about benchmarking, and i'll post results! :)

4. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Firstly get 3dmark2001 from here.. (38mb)

Then install it.. Restart your pc (tweak it if nessary/defrag your pc.. if u want) when it restarts, close all unessary programs (to give u optimal performance).
    Run 3dmark2001 set all tests to default settings and press benchmark.. when it finishes (dont move the mouse during testing, or it will reduce ure score).. you can either save it to a txt file or upload ure score to the net and compare it with other ppls..

If your feelin brave, try 3dmark2003 (go here and try that..) (170mbs)

As for a more comprehensive system wide test, sisoft sandra is the best to test your whole system, and I will find the link to the free download in a mo...

5. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Last time I tested my system with 3DMark, I think it got somewhere around the 3000 mark. I'll have to test it again.
    Anyway, my machine's a P4 1.5 512Mb RAM Geforce 32Mb 60G hard drive and 120G hard drive (180g total for the maths impaired). Soundblaster Audigy card.

6. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    1 mo later..

Ok, go here to download sisoft sandra (5.02mb)

Now, as with 3dmark, install, restart/tweak, close non-essential programs and then run whatever benchmark u want. (lots to choose from) Suggestions are: Both cpu and both memory benchmarks..

You can also use 'create a report' for it to point out things that could be set better for better system performance. 'Create Performance Index wizard' tests cpu, memory, storage(hd) and network speeds and graphs them comparing each section to a compared system.

Like I said, a lot of info can be got from this program.

Soniel: Nice stats, would of thought u'd get higher than 3000 tho. Problem with 3dmark is its mainly a graphics card test.. relies a lot on cpu speed.. but video card speed more.

ps- forgot to mention.. if you plan to run 3dmark2003, u need dx9.. both 3dmark2001 & sisoft only need 8 or higher..

7. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Omg, no more mice? Instead, we could use hand gestures like in the Minority report. That looks so cool. :)

8. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    A small promotional Nokia & Sega video of thier hand held gaming machine/phone/mp3 player/radio/mms sender, the N-gage..
    You get a very small glimpse of tomb raider playing on the system and despite the blurry compression of this video it looks pretty much like the original graphic quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.