main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hot topic!!- Games being held on Holidays?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    In leau of recent events in a couple of major and minor sports, I figured this warranted some discussion. Should preformance enhancing drugs be allowed in professional athletics? Why or why not? Should it vary from sport to sport? What should be the punishment if a player or team is caught using banned suppliments? What supliments should be allowed/not allowed?

Discuss amongst yourselves...

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm against steriods. It's essentially cheating. As a nurse aide/nursing student, I know there are very valid reasons for having to use steriods but unless you have a condition where you have to take them, then you shouldn't do it, definitely not to get an 'edge' in sports. As to the punishment for being caught with them: It's simple: If there's a lifetime ban in Baseball for gambling there should be a lifetime ban for steriod usage as it's essentially cheating as well.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm not so against it for moral reasons, as I am for the fact that even though they enhance performance they also tend to break the body up at an early age for the athlete that is taking them.

4. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    The way I see it, sports are solely for entertainment of the masses. So why should we care about something that will only entertain us moreso than the current situation...it seems to me that we would want to see more home runs hit, faster cycling races, more touchdowns etc...

5. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Alright, let's say you allow steroids. And in the next 30 years, you have 10 players pass Hank Aaron on the all time Home Run list.

Then what?

You just throw out all the old records? Just sit back and allow today's players to have an advantage over the legends?

6. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't know...I just want to be entertained when I watch sports...I suppose you have a point there...but I don't think that history and reverance for great players should prevent us from getting all the entertainment that we can....

7. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    you have to be joking...

8. BarryBonds25

BarryBonds25 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2003
    Back in Aaron's day and coincidentally while Pete Rose played baseball had a huge problem with players popping greenies(amphetamines). Amphetamines are illegal drugs, but players used them to give themselves energy to play the game the next day. In essence, everyone who was using amphetamines had an advantage over those who did not. Who is to say that "the legends" didn't enhance their performances in what was considered the forefront of performance enhancing? Tons of players have used amphetamines illegally just to give themselves an extra energy boost to play the next game. We all know how grueling a 162 game schedule in 180 days is. There aren't many days off. So, maybe "the legends" were enhancing their performances in a way we just don't know about.

9. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    No...I'm not.

I want to be entertained. The better the players play, the more I am entertained. I understand this whole thing about tradition, and sportsmanship, and the game and all of this stuff, but it seems to me that stuff is arbitrary. The sporting industry is one based solely on entertainment. Why not make it the most entertaining it can be?

10. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    I wrote an essay about this a while back, my stand on this is against steroids. I'll try to dig it up, though I'm unsure if I saved it or not.

11. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm against Steroids in sports as well.

MASTERPRENN, I understand your belief that sports is simply entertainment, but I think people like to now that there is a level playing field and that they are doing as well as is natural. Look at how people view people who take steroids now. They dismiss them and the sport and he drama seems to lose something.

12. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    You want to know why steriods in sport is bad, there is a perfect example related to your argument. Look at wrestling and the WWE, termed "Sports Entertainment". For quite a few years steroid use wasn't just allowed, it was encouraged because it gave more muscled wrestlers. It took the deaths of a few prominent former wrestlers to bring the issue to public light, and the death of a current wrestler from "heart problems" to show just what it was doing to the people involved.

The amount of testosterone that is put into the body from anabolic steroids doesn't just affect skeletal muscle. When you combine the stress that steroid put on cardiac muscle with the constant stresses of playing professional sport, you severely impact upon the quality of life for anyone mixing the two. And that doesn't take into account any of the other side effects of anabolic steroids.

13. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    In addition to Dingo's post... Steroids are not good for health, but if adults take it, they should know what they do. This doesn't mean that I am for steroids or so, I'm completely against it, because if steroids are allowed what will be the next step to get better results in sports? And how can we find out who's the best if some are using drugs of some kind?
    But what I'm more concerned of is when children get steroids or anything else to let their muscles grow. They don't know what they do with this little pills. But they have to pay for it when their bodies (bones and sinew) can't stand those strong muscles anymore. That's just unfair.

14. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Indeed. You guys have points there.

So it seems the overwhelming majority is against steroids in professional sports.

What should the punishment be?

15. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Severe. More severe then they are now. I think baseball has the right idea with their structure. What is it again? First offense: 50 days, 2nd offense: season, 3rd offense: lifetime ban?

16. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't know what the punishment should be. It might be a different one for each kind of sport. But I think they have to work on the newcomers and people who just did their first competition. If they don't learn that steroids are bad and believe this by heard, then no punishment would help in the end. They will find ways to use unallowed performance-enhancing drugs.

17. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm a hardliner when it comes to drugs in sport. I can understand softer bans for things that appear in either prescription or over-the-counter meds (within reason), but for something that has no reason to be in a person's body unless they are recovering from specific major illness/injury then you're out for life. With the sheer amount of money and community flow-on effect to younger athletes that is on the line, there has to be a message that states it's unacceptable.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    What is it again? First offense: 50 days, 2nd offense: season, 3rd offense: lifetime ban?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats right.

I think thats about right for what it should be, too. The old policy (the one that started with a 10-game suspension) was far too weak, but at least it was a start.

Exact numbers will vary by sport, but I think it needs to be strong in all of them.

19. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I would also add to hit the player where it'll hurt even worse: the wallet. Big, BIG fines for violating the steroid statues if you're caught.

I heard the NFL is FINALLY going to test for HGH and is going to up their random testing. I think it's a great idea. The NFL's doping policy was one of the strongest of US sports, but still fell far short in inter nat'l doping standards. With the push Congress put on MLB and to a lesser extent, all other US sports, so much the better. Besides, kids do still look up to sports figures, and I for one would rather the person they idolize be famous for hard work and dedication, not for jabbing needles and popping pills to get ahead.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

As I said earlier, if your going to ban somebody for gambling (as in Baseball) then there should be a lifetime ban for anabolic steriods and HGH.

21. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I think that gambling is worse than Steroid use...

In gambling, one could become tempted to throw the game or something like that....Steroids are used just because the player wans to win.

22. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    So, instead of screwing the team you're playing against, you screw your teammates?

Gambling and steroids both give an unfair advantage to one of the teams, regardless of which side the player is benefiting.

23. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Okay...

How about a new topic!

Should games be held on Hollidays?

It makes me mad when I go over to a family get together, and all they do is watch football.

But is that a family issue, or a league issue?

Should sporting games be held on major hollidays?

Why/why not?

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I say let Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa into the Hall of Fame but then tighten up regulations to an all time high. This steroid thing is turning into an old fashioned witch hunt and really the solution is simple,just have frequent tests

25. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    I disagree, steroids does not make a player better. But enhances his physical ability... It makes him stronger, recover faster, but it doesn't make him a better player. Take a player like, Barry Bonds, for example: Was always a great player (had 3 MVP's, and put up awsome #'s before the steroids came into play) yet people want to say he cheated because he took steroids... No, that is "BS"! You have to hit the ball and you have to have good hand eye coordnation to be a great hitter. That's something steroids does not give you. It also can't make a player hit more homeruns, run faster, tackle more people. This is where you take credit from that athletes natural abilities -- that's wrong. I could take steroids, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be an awesome player; or come close to putting up #'s like a Barry Bonds. There great players with awesome abilities, and that's what makes them great. Not steroids. Steroids to me is just another performance enhancement drug with more side effacts. Which is why it should only be used for medical purposes only. But be that as it may: it's not. Do I like that it's used in pro sports, no. Becuase it can by a health hazard if not properly used right. It also doesn't send the right message to kids and upcoming players... There are other natural enhancement supplements out there besides steroids, that can get you strong. That being said: steroids don't make a great player; nor does enhancement supplements -- the player's natural ability is what make them great. In a nut shell, that's my take on, steroids in sports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.