Hotels and Accomodations

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebration Anaheim' started by Uilmuteiz, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWill Jedi Master

star 4
    A group of us from New York City will be at the Hilton. :D I stayed at the Westin for C2, and when we visited a friend in the Adams Mark (Hilton) we were instantly jealous of her gigantic room.

It's not a bad walk to the ICC (2 blocks down Capitol Ave and a right on Maryland St). If we get Kamino weather, just run across to the Embassy Suites, skywalk into the Hyatt, and then into the convention center.
  2. qingauk Jedi Master

star 4
    I just had to call the Hampton Inn to change my reservation. When I booked it, I made it to go to Monday but I had to cancel Sunday night. My flight leave Sunday at 4:40. I have to teach the next day :(
    I have a room for three people at 144. but there is just me.
  3. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm considering making reservations at the Hilton Garden Inn to save $200. While it is one block further away, I think it is ultimately worth it.
  4. jakejar Jedi Knight

star 1
    The downtown Indianapolis Hilton Garden Inn has gotten top reviews on independent websites.,,,even better than the Westin. That's one of the reasons we chose it.
  5. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Marriot Courtyard Indianapolis Downtown has rooms left (from $159.00 and up) on 20 to 21st.
  6. kaarrde Jedi Padawan

There is :

Hotel name: Best Value Inn
    Address: 520 East Thompson Road
    Indianapolis, IN 46227
    Telephone: 317-787-8341
    Fax: 317-791-1199

$59

5 miles about the convention center
  7. VaderFanForever Jedi Knight

star 3
    I too will be at the Hilton (Adams Mark). This is my first time in Indy...so here is my question...where is this mall that has the skywalks to the ICC? And how far are they from the Hilton?

And also, will the walk require me to purchase a set of Dr. Shools foot cusions? I was thinking about doing that anyway.
  8. Rebel_Spook Jedi Master

star 4
    I am at the Adams Mark, aka Hilton Indianapolis, and it is only .6 miles from the ICC. From what I understand, the mall is across the street from the hotel and then the skywalk to the ICC.
  9. VaderFanForever Jedi Knight

star 3
    Coooll!! I'll be in my Vader costume with the cape flowin all the way!!! It is going to be sweet!
  10. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Anyone staying at the Best Western should hook up with the Hoosier Alliance on Friday or Saturday night.
    We are from Bloomington a HR away from Indy.

:)
  11. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    Any cheap hotel close to the Renaissance Historic Tower Inn (if that's the name?) allowing overnight stays for one person?
    I will probably arrive one day ahead of the people that booked a room for the 20th to the 25th who would let me stay with them but they wouldn't arrive until noon of the 20th and my plane would land on the evening of the 19th.
    So, what to do? I don't have a driver's license either and walking around with my luggage sounds risky.

Also, where should I keep my money? I don't have any sort of credit card and I will likely need a lot of money for this trip (being a collector). Traveller checks? Will any store accept those?! Where should I hide my money? I a belt pouch? Under my clothes?
  12. -E- Force Ghost

star 3
    Ok, big question here: how well do the better hotels enforce the occupants/room ratio at the C's? I got a room for 2 at the Crowne, but we're trying to work out a way to get a third in there. I've heard wild tales of 11 people to a room; what's the reality here?
  13. tionnesharp Jedi Knight

star 1
    I had a room at the Crowne for Celeb II. We had 4 to a room. Now, I can't speak for THIS year, but in 2002 the hotel staff didn't seem to mind. I mean we didn't exactly TELL them we had 4 in there, but we were always asking for more towels and they certainly allowed us all to check out separately.

My only complaint.... there were 3 of us costuming and it was pretty crowded. Lots of luggage + limited floor space = tight quarters. If you can live with that plus sharing a bathroom then I suppose you could fit at least that many in. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted more than 4. Besides, while the Crowne may have looked the other way for 4 I wouldn't bet they'd do it for 11. Actually, we couldn't have FIT 11 in our room.

We've a train car this year and only 3. Should be fun!
  14. -E- Force Ghost

star 3
    Thanks for the info. Looks like it may be just two, anyway.
    I can't believe I actually managed to get a room, after seeing what others have gone through. I mean, I'll have to skip a couple of student loan repayments, but the government has plenty of money. ;)
  15. Rebel_Spook Jedi Master

star 4
    -E-, have ou tried to apply for student loan deferral or forgiveness? If you haven't you might want to try, I heard once that you don't have to pay during the application period, but you might want to check.
  16. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone who could advice me on my situation?
  17. CarolynNC Force Ghost

star 3
    Any cheap hotel close to the Renaissance Historic Tower Inn (if that's the name?) allowing overnight stays for one person?
    I will probably arrive one day ahead of the people that booked a room for the 20th to the 25th who would let me stay with them but they wouldn't arrive until noon of the 20th and my plane would land on the evening of the 19th.
    So, what to do? I don't have a driver's license either and walking around with my luggage sounds risky.

I can only tell you what I'd do if I was in the same situation. I'd find an inexpensive hotel near the airport with airport pickup. I'd spend the night there and meet the rest of my party back at the airport the next day.

If I didn't have a driver's license I'd make sure I had an official identification card.

Also, where should I keep my money? I don't have any sort of credit card and I will likely need a lot of money for this trip (being a collector). Traveller checks? Will any store accept those?! Where should I hide my money? I a belt pouch? Under my clothes?

Since you don't have a credit card you will want to check with the hotel to see if they will accept a reservation without a credit card. I would never travel with all my money in cash. I recommend carrying some cash and use traveler checks for the majority but make sure you get some that have a local office in Indy in case you need to get replacements. Most hotels will cash them and most stores/vendors/businesses will honor them. Keep your receipts in a separate place so if you loose your travelers checks you have the numbers to request replacements. Don't put your travelers checks (or any other important documents)in your checked luggage. If your luggage is lost then so is your money.

I'm sure others will have additional suggestions. Maybe someone else will be arriving on the same day and will welcome a roommate for the one night. I suggest you ask in the Roommate wanted thread.
  18. Rebel_Spook Jedi Master

star 4
    Another option other than traveler's cheques is to do a VISA cash card. It works just like a credit card, but it has a prepaid limit to it.
  19. CarolynNC Force Ghost

star 3
    Another option other than traveler's cheques is to do a VISA cash card. It works just like a credit card, but it has a prepaid limit to it.

Great idea! Where do you get one?
  20. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
  21. -E- Force Ghost

star 3
    Rebel_Spook, thanks for your advice, but I was slightly kidding. Slightly. ;)
  22. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    First of all, I'm Austrian and I just turned 18- does that have any affect on anything?
    I doubt traveller checks will be helpful- can I pay with those at grocery stores, restaurants, things at the Celebration, at local retailers (like TRU, Walmart, Target,....?) or taxi cab drivers?
    Do these have to be bought locally?
    Aren't airport hotels icky? :p

I guess carrying the money with me is risky but still the easiest way to go, right?
  23. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm trying to arrange to get to C3, but I can probably only come Saturday-Monday. Do the hotels in the con housing block only allow you to reserve a room for all the nights of the con? Or could I reserve a room for just a couple nights?

Also, I've been skimming a lot of threads and some people say they weren't able to get into any of the hotels in the housing block, yet others have been. Is that just persistence on the phone or pure luck...? I'd like to get in a hotel that's connected to the convention center, if I can, or very near it since I won't have transportation in Indy. I'm just worried about the number of nights I'm staying. And I don't know if I have anyone to room with. :-\

-Mia
  24. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
    MiaTieska: Officially, the con housing is full.
    There is a waiting list for those hoping that rooms open up as people drop out, much like the waiting list for overbooked airlines.

Billy_Dee_Binks: Don't know about airport hotels, but do try to find something closer as the airport is 12 miles out from the con, and you pay at least $20.00 American each way. In the long run, it's cheaper to try to get as close as possible, as I went to C2 and took a cab, had to get up much earlier than I wanted, took 45 min for the cab to get to me, another 30 to get to the con.
    As far as traveller's checks, they're just that-checks.
    Cab drivers I'm not sure if they will take them or not, so do bring some cash, say $50-$100, but everyone else will honor them.

Again, best bet for hotels: go directly to the hotel websites themselves and see what's open.
  25. JediMistressDragon Jedi Master

star 1
    Mmmm. . .got a room at the Courtyard Marriott a couple weeks ago with no problems. Maybe I was lucky? Anyway, it across the stree from the convention center, on the corner. And cheaper then the volunteer hotel blocks Hubby was going for since he is volunteering.
    JMD
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.