Hotels close to EC?

Discussion in 'FanForce: Conventions Europe' started by Obi Anne, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    So what hotels should one look for when trying to get a room as close to Earl's Court as possible. My last experiences of London make me trust the tube, but still it would be nice to be as close as possible when thinking about costumes and such.

2. DARTHLARS Force Ghost

star 4
    Heh, I have also been thinking a little bit about riding the Tube in costume. I don't want to scare anybody on the London Underground, especially not in July.

More than costumes, I am concerned about make-up that could be difficult to apply at EC, for instance Aayla Secura's or Shaak Ti's.
    Last time I dressed up at a convention, I had to untangle and glue on a fake beard in a public bathroom at the convention center, which did feel quite a bit stressful - and which made the result look stressed as well. It would have been much better if I had made it peacefully at a hotel room and then walked only a few blocks.
  3. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Don't worry about being in full costume on the Tube. There's an unwritten rule when traveling on the tube, and that is you must look at the floor and not talk to anyone, so no one will notice or say anything ;)
    Plus Londoners are used to seeing nutters most of the time , so no one will think little of it :p
  4. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I'm not worrying about the people, it's more the fact that if I get one of my costumes ready it will be a lot of velvet, steel and make up involved, and I would like to make the transport to the EC as short as possible.
  5. spike_thmid Jedi Master

star 4
    I used this website to find a hotel, the link lists all the hotels close to Earls Court. Managed to find a hotel that sleeps 5 in one rooms, very cheap but probably very basic. If anyone gets into the Oxford Hotel let me know :)

But be quick - many of them are booking up fast !!

oh, and make sure your credit-card doesn't expire before July 2007 or they won't let you book, I found that out the hard way [face_blush]

Good luck guys [face_peace]
  6. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I also recommend the above www.activehotels.com website. Just type in ?earls court london?, click search and you should see a locations link for ?Earls Court < Kensington & Chelsea < London < Greater London < England < UK?. Click that and it gives you a nice run down of all the local hotels. To find out prices just put in the dates you wish to stay and proceed to ?book now?. All prices include TAX. Just be sure to read the customer reviews as this should give a good indication of what to expect. There are some cheap ones on there but will be very basic, but if you?re on a tight budget then maybe they?ll do the job nicely.
    It?s easy to reserve on that website too.

For a rough guide, I?ve just booked a hotel room for 4 adults on the Saturday night at the Lord Kensington Hotel and it will cost £110, so about £27.50 each p/night. Not too bad and that?s en suite with breakfast and right next door to EC :D

Alternatively there are plenty of youth hostels in London. This site will help:
    www.youth-hostel-in.com
    These cover most of central London and will be cheaper then hotels. You may also be able to book out rooms for a group of you to share. A google search for ?youth hostels earls court london? should also be very fruitful. If people have any questions about certain hotel or hostel locations in relation to EC, please feel free to ask and we?ll do our best to help :)
  7. skywalker_1982 Jedi Master

star 4
    I got booked into the ibis hotel which is right near earls court on friday so I am all sorted for celebration europe now :D
    Just have to get the other celebration sorted :oops:
  8. rockskigrrl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Although Ibis is a better bet, if anyone is desparate, the Hotel Lily, a small hotel right around the corner from the West Brompton tube station isn't a terrible choice. I'd stay there again if I had to, but they really aren't luxury accomodations. The West Brompton and Earl's Court tube stations are within walking distance of one another, and the N97 night bus goes right by the hotel late nights.
  9. Voren Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Recomend against the Lily. I know of a group of people that were staying there for LFACC4 and they found;

Chained fire exits
    Fleas (they got bites)
    Mould
    Stains on bedding

A group of them took photos and have been speaking to the local council. In hotel terms, you may never "see a more wretched hive of scum and villany".

Avoid like the plague (which they probably have in the hotel somewhere!)

Paul
  10. edgejedi88 Jedi Master

star 4
    ....you can also try this website for hotels near to Earls Court.

click here for the link

However, from speaking to other people, a lot of hotel internet sites have closed their bookings online, but when they have called them by telephone, they still have rooms available! I think that the hoteliers are being very tactical, realising the size of the event and popularity.

Worth a try.
  11. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Actually, now we need the list of hotels close to ExCel.
  12. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Will get one up in next day or so ;)
  13. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You can still use some of the above mentioned sites to find hotels near to the ExCel centre. Once again I used activehotels.com with success.

However, it seems that three of the main hotels, the Ibis, Travel Inn and Ramada are all booked-out (possibly by the organisers), so pickings are very slim for bang-next door hotels, although there are some not too far away from ExCel still available. It may be the case that the Ibis, Travel Inn and Ramada are saving rooms for people taking advantage of the special discounts promised on the CE site, but that is a guess and someone else who spoke to one of the hotels knew nothing of the discount offer, so don't hold your breath on that front and maybe the best thing to do is buy your CE tickets and ask for any hotel info they may have.

It is also worth noting that there is another event happening at the ExCel during CE, and there could well be more events in addition so worth thinking about booking ASAP.

14. gaiatha Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Matt are you sure that there is another event at ExCel that weekend? It is nothing but CE on the calender of the ExCel for that weekend.
  15. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Japan Ex London

The ExCel site seems slow in updating its calander as CE was only added mere weeks ago. It's possible Japan Ex could have its date moved, and while I don't think Japan Ex would take up too much room, it would be nice if CE did take up the whole of the ExCel centre....or am I just being too greedy? :p
  16. CARBONITEKID Jedi Knight

star 1
    Some interesting info here: http://www.excel-london.co.uk/en/visitors/whats_on/event.html?event=651
  17. CARBONITEKID Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have spoken (via the official Celebration Forum ) to the organiser of this event . His response was ;

Quote: I can confirm that we have sole occupancy for the entire ExCeL venue for the weekend.

We want the option to be able to obtain more space should we need it.

I would suggest that you contcat the organisers of this other event to clarify their dates before you make any firm plans to attend it.
    End quote.

Hope this clears things up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.