main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

hotels SUCK, cars RULE!

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by darthdickalan, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthdickalan

darthdickalan Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2001
    Ok so my two friends and I are driving from colorado on thursday after school to Indiana. We plan on ariving friday morning just in time. But heres the thing: Instead of a hotel we are just going to sleep in the car. Is ANYONE else doing this? Also what are some good tips on staying awake while driving? And another thing is there like a store where you can buy tickets besides the celebration? Like at a place where they sell concert tickets and things like that (to cut down on waiting in lines) I went to the one in denver (from denver) it was awesome! And this is going to be about 100X the awesomeness of that one.

I think the flaming and nonsense has went on long enough

2. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    I've done that before and the best thing I can say is "DON'T"!

The reason is that the car is not the best place to sack out. It has seats, not beds (unless you are in a camper or a Pontiac Aztek). Also, unless you leave the engine running all the time, you don't have much in the way of climate control (AC or heater) and a car engine doesn't like just idling for a long time either. The weather for Indy that weekend says there will probably be rain showers, but what if it is hot also? With rain, there is humidity and you'll sweat more as a result and with a couple guys sacking out in a car, its going to get very steamy very quick The result usually is a Body Odor problem as a result from sleeping in a car for three days or more and no access to a shower. Plus a police officer might not like the idea of several guys sacked out overnight in a car if he finds you sitting in a parking lot somewhere snoozing.

So, my advice is to pool your money and get a motel room somewhere cheap (Motel 6). With multiple guys going, the cost is rather minimal. As a result, you'll have access to beds, a shower, security, air conditioning, etc.. Therefore, you won't smell bad, get cranky, be all cramped up from sleeping in seats instead of a bed. The only other alternative would be to pack a tent and go to a camping site somewhere, but you might have to pay to rent the facilities and you'll be farther away from the convention then you would be if you had a hotel or motel room.

Now, as for staying awake while driving. The body does need sleep no matter what. So, you'll want to try and get a good night's sleep first. When on the road, daytime driving shouldn't be a problem if you are well rested. The biggest problem is night driving, and if you are coming from Colorado, you are going to be having that since at least from Omaha to Indy it is about a 7 or 8 hour trip. So it will be closer to 12 to 13 hours for you guys probably. The hours of 11PM to 4AM are typically the worst for driver fatigue.

So, when you get fatigued, switch drivers. I would recommend avoiding the caffine until you really need it, that way your body isn't already saturated when you start to get tired. Listen to a talk show on the radio, rather then music to keep your mind active. If you have to, pull over at a rest stop and sack out for 20 to 30 minutes (a car is okay for that). That should be fine for another couple hours of travel. If you decide to recharge your energy at a restaurant, don't order a big meal that might make you stuffed and groggy, or you'll be in worse shape.

I would say that your trip down will not be a problem, since you'll be charged with a level of adrenaline already. Its the trip back that will be a problem, especially after a busy convention weekend when you are tired already and somewhat down from having to go back home.

But my main point is, don't sleep in the car when you are there. Get a motel room please or you might have a bad experience overall. Plus, try to get some sleep when you can or you might be sleeping for eternity as a result of a fatigue induced car crash.

3. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    As for staying awake, I would agree with all the above points, but theres comes a time that nobody can stay awake without the help of some stimulants. Go to Eckerds, or any kind of drug store. Publix may work too. Buy a box of this product called "Vivarin" or "Ultra Pep Back." They are caffeine pills which pack about 200mg per tablet. Use them sparingly if you are an amateur caffine user. For a bit of comparison, coffee has between 80 and 120 miligrams per cup, depending on how strong its brewed. Coca cola has 48 miligrams in a 12 ounce can. If you feel jittery about taking a pill, dont. There is absolutely nothing in one of those caffeine pills besides caffeine, and the amount is just like two cups of coffee. Nobody has any problem drinking three or four cups of coffee, so dont have a problem with popping a pill. But like I said, use them sparingly. And to quote thinkgeek.com, dont forget that occasionally, sleep CAN be your friend.

4. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    One word: showers

Sure it might rain (then the one word would be soap), but if it doesn't, you going to give new meaning to:

[image=http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Episode_2/Creatures/Reek/notw_mag-20020407-reek.jpg]

5. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Classic!

6. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    You asked for tips about staying awake, but if your body wants to go to sleep then it will go to sleep. There comes a time when even all the Mountain Dew in the world can't help you. Remember This! If you feel yourslelf dozing off, even in the least, pull over and take a nap or switch drivers!!!

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, you're not only putting yourself in danger, but others as well.

8. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I agree with all these posts. If you are really worried about falling asleep while driving then I would leave a day earlier than planned, if possible. Drive about halfway, then sack out in your car, drive the rest of the way, and get a cheap motel room. Sleeping in the car is ok for the drive, but I really advise getting a room in Indy. You are going to be so tired from walking around all day, and getting a good rest in a car isn't real possible. I think the drive home, if you slept in your car, would be much more dangerous than the drive to Indy.

Also, for a room, why don't you check www.starwars.com's roommate wanted thread? You might find one downtown.

9. darthdickalan

Aug 5, 2001
    Thanx to everyone for your concern! Thanx for the camping in a tent idea we'll bring one just incase the car doesnt work out. Yes you heard right we still want to sleep in the car. Also the info about the caffine pills was a great help too. You guys say "What, no showers" I say "ohh well" We are three 18 year old boys going to a star wars convention. We are not going to our senior prom. I'm not going there to impress any girls so body odor is the least of my concern. I know you think that we wont get any sleep in the car but we are all boy scouts and have been on 20+ campouts with probably worse situations and managed just fine. So I dont think it will be that bad. Does anyone know if you can you get a ticket for parking somewhere and sleeping in the car? Or if you just set up a tent on some grass in the city? Bums do it!! Why cant we?Your right JMChladek the drive home will be the worst and thats what i'm most afraid of. But dont worry we will try our hardest to be safe. I still cant believe their is still not one other person doing this!? Wasnt wood stock like 3 days long? Ohh and you guys really need to stop using the term "sack" when refering to three boys sleeping in a car together. Ha Ha

10. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    First of all, showering has nothing to do with impressing girls. It's just common courtesy. I mean I know I don't want to stand next to anyone in line that reaks because they haven't had a shower in a couple of days. If anything, go to a truck stop. They usually have public showers there.

If you sleep in your car in the street or in a parking garage, I don't know if you'll get a ticket, but you'll be made to leave I'm sure. And no, there really isn't camping aloud in public parks.

I know that you're used to camping and what not, but you guys are going to be in a place with 25,000+ people in a large city. What you're planning is not safe or hygenic. If you want to camp, there are campgrounds in the outlying areas of the city that usually cater to people going to concerts. You might try there.

I may sound like someone' mother (which no I'm not) but what you're doing just isn't safe guys. Really there are places around town that you can get a room for $30 a night.

11. AlderaanOnline

AlderaanOnline Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    Man, I echo that comment Shara, I don't want to be standing in line next to anyone reeking either.

Common courtesy guys. I imagine you plan on dropping a few dollars on merchandise at the convention. Why don't you cut back on that and spend the few dollars it would take each of you to get a cheap hotel room?

Shara's right about it not being safe too. You're going to be in a city with nearly 1 million people. Not wise to sleep in your car.

12. DarkJediPrincess

DarkJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    Please, please, please, oh please find a way to take a shower. Last year at a Con, I was forced to sit next to someone who apparently had your philosophy. I couldn't make it through the presentation. I had to get up and leave, and then I'm the one that looks like I walked out on an actor I greatly respected and admired.

I don't know what the laws are in Indy, but where I come from it's illegal to camp in cars or in public, outside of an designated for camping. Go to a campground and camp in your car, if you must....Just have access to a shower.

DJP

13. StarTrekSucks

StarTrekSucks Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2002
    When did Star Wars nerds become so stupid. I find it hard to believe that there is not one person on this whole forum that is not going to sleep in their car at night.

And I don't think showering is the biggest thing we have to worry about. I'm sure we won't smell that bad from 4 days without showering.

Besides, if we really smell THAT bad we'll go swimming. Or go to a swimming pool and use their showers FOR FREE!

I think you guys are making too big of a deal out of something that it's a big deal.

And what the hell is "sacking"!?!?

14. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    Okay, if you are indeed going to try this, then stop at a truckstop sometime duirng the weekend since they have showers for rent there. That way you can get clean. Get a washcloth and some soap also or some of those new moist towels for freshening up since that will help at times you can't tale a shower. Also, pack some Right Guard or something. Believe me, if it gets steamy during the weekend, you guys are going to be sweating like crazy in that car, even with the windows cracked. I still think your nuts for considering this and that could be the reason why nobody else is trying this either (or hasn't posted that they are).

The tent idea might be the best way to go then just using the car for sleep. Since you guys are scouts, you know what needs to be done at a campout already. I'd check the websites for listings of campsites in the area. I'm sure there are some since close by as Indy is a big gathering for motorsports fans. Many of them campout nearby since I'm pretty sure that the infield at the speedway doesn't have room for campers anymore with half of it being taken up by the golfcourse and the other half containg the museum, gasoline alley and the F1 roadcourse.

But, if the rates for a campsite are the same or more then the rates for a cheap motel room, then I'd opt for the Motel room.

15. AlderaanOnline

Feb 15, 2002
    Don't go attacking all of us because you won't spend the money on a hotel room.

There's a lot of people in this thread trying to give you some helpful advice to make your trip SAFER and more ENJOYABLE.

Your childish attitude is apparent in your thread topic "hotels SUCK, cars RULE!". Just because you are unable or more likely UNWILLING to spend the cash to get a room does not mean you need to attack those of us who can.

16. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    "When did Star Wars nerds become so stupid."

I was begining to wonder the same thing.

"I find it hard to believe that there is not one person on this whole forum that is not going to sleep in their car at night."

It's because we've all camped out for something or been to a convention and have the battle scars to prove it. Conventions kick the crap out of you, and if you don't have a nice place to sleep you're certainly going to pay for it.

Don't get me wrong, I love to camp out for Star Wars. I did it for Episode I and I'll be doing for Episodes II and III. But 4 days without a shower, without a decent night's sleep, with aching backs, headaches, fatigue and all of the other unpleasant baggage that you WILL EXPERIENCE is going to make your SWC2 experience a paintful one. I've only been to a few small conventions in the past, and only for a few hours at a time and I'm tired when I get back. SWC2 is going to be a long day, every day, and if you do camp out you will regret it and I garuntee that you won't be doing it again.

Why are you so determined to camp out for this? Do you simply want the experience and the bragging rights or do you simply not have the money?

"is there **** a store where you can buy tickets besides the celebration?"

Do you mean your passes for SWC2 or tickets for events inside SWC2? As far as I know the only place to get passes now is at the entrance to the convention center itself on May 3-5, and any tickets for events inside the convention center are only available at areas inside the convention center.

This whole trip of yours sounds half-cocked. Where will you store the stuff you buy at SWC2? What about your luggage? What kind of car are we talking about?

There is a first time for everthing, you'll learn from this.

17. darthdickalan

Aug 5, 2001
    I think you guys underestimate the human body!!! What would you wimps do if you had to go to war? Would you be wineing about how bad you smelled or how bad other smelled? NO! because you would be dead if you worried about that. That is why we will succed. I guesse I forgot who I was dealing with when I posted this message... a bunch of yupy star wars adults. I bet if advertising hadn't grabbed *deleted* and wizardz of the coast hadnt mentioned anything about hotels their would be ALOT more people with ALOT more money doing the EXACT same thing. We are not doing it for "bragging rights" -give us a little credit man were 18 not 7. Were doing it becuase we are hardcore starwars fans that dont have enough money to get a hotel. What i mean by purchasing the tickets is: Last year My friend and I bought tickets at a grociery store the day before. Than we went to the check in and they gave us all the stuff (the pass) so will you be able to do that this year? Or will we just get the pass at the check-in? Do you think the passes will sell out for 3 day? Please respond to my questions I promise this time I wont get mad.
    PS - its a four door Camery, we'll pack light (where the same clothes), And we'll put the goodies in the trunk where hopefully it wont get smashed!

edit Language of that sort is not appropriate here.

18. AlderaanOnline

Feb 15, 2002
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

19. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Ah, to be young and immortal again...

You've never been to a big science fiction or comics con have you? I can tell because you think this stupid plan of your is going to work. Last year at a con in Chicago I almost fell asleep during a Star Wars panel Sunday afternoon because I was so tired, and I was staying at a hotel across the street. There I am, third row right in front of Dave Prowse, nodding off. All because of all the walking and standing in line I did. Stuff that is going to feel like a walk in the park after C II.

By the way, am I the only one that thinks this whole topic might be a load of poodoo?

20. Warriorpoet

Warriorpoet Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    A few years ago, I would have camped out in my car, I used to do that for Rock Fest every year, but now that I'm in the Thirty something brackett, I'm not much into roughing it. I thought about taking the Suburban, but I can't go three days with out a shower, not just for my sake, but for those around me as well.

If you guys do this, good luck. Bring extra deoderant, a box of wet wipes, and some good car fresheners. [face_laugh]

21. SkylaFett

SkylaFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2001
    What is wrong with your heads? I hope to God your joking. I don't care if your 18 or 7. My 6 year old is going and I will have no problem making sure he takes his shower. A convention is not war. Your life is not in danger. If you weren't 18 you might know the difference. Please for the love of GL, take a shower.

With that being said I believe that the only place you can get your passes or for that matter any thing related to the Convention is at C2 it's self. I also live in Indy and have not seen any thing to prove other wise.

22. AlderaanOnline

Feb 15, 2002
    Hey, would anyone like to chip in with me and by Darthdickalan 'Hooked on Phonics'?

23. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Actually, if you can find out about swimming pools around the area, you might be able to take a shower unless they all make you become a member of their club. perhaps there is a YMCA type place that will let you pay to swim just that day. Go in the morning, take your shower, 10 minutes later and you are all set for each day.

24. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Make it a dictionary and I'll chip in. Wait, no I won't. Nevermind.

The more I think about this the more I think it is a load of poodoo. Something isn't right here, nobody is that clueless.

25. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Let's stop all the insults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.