main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hoth Power Generator Explosion

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NateTheGreat, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    IMO, the Hoth power generetor explosion is the worst scene in the entire trilogy. The explosion looks completely fake, and then we see the view from inside the ATAT and we see a massive computer generated explosion, not matching the explosion we saw. I think if parts are going to be changed or whatever for some Archival Edition, this scene should be redone, IMO.

Anyone else agree? Thoughts of the scene?

2. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Come to think about it, the effect was a little crap.It simply looks as if it's superimpossed onto the scenery.

3. Tolkien101

Tolkien101 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2003
    And it also was done in 1979. Get over it.

4. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    Get over it tolkein, do i sense hostility? It could have been redone in 1997 for the Special Edition, but GL left it, which I think was a bad mistake.

5. BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER

BLUE-SQUADRON-LEADER Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    I agree, GL should have redone the explosion, just like he redid the starship explosions.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Get over it tolkein, do i sense hostility? It could have been redone in 1997 for the Special Edition, but GL left it, which I think was a bad mistake.

If I recall, George Lucas himself stated that there were more special effects sequences that he wanted ILM to finish, but since the Special Editions's were on a time limit to be finished, ILM couldn't finish everything he wanted.

ILM also stated this, by saying they didn't have enough time to fully finish certain sequences.

Don't worry, Lucas will have plenty of time after Episode III, so I'm certain he'll fix it then.

7. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I think nowdays it looks kind of small and not that impressive, because of the angle of the shot; watching it on the TV, it looks like the generator is not that big and at the same distance as the troops. It might look better on the big screen, though.

[image=http://www.toysrgus.com/images-toys/micro/micro-hothgeneratorattack-catalog.jpg]
    That's about how big the shot makes the generators look compared to the actors.

8. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Tolkien, you sound as if you think I hate ESB. If so, then just read my sig, bud! I for one think that they could have done a lot more with ESB, especially The Battle of Hoth. My advice to GL is, when it comes to updating the OT, just take your time and don't rush things next time! :)

9. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    The scene might could use a bit of help, but I actually didn't really mind it, if they could somehow leave the same explosion but make it wider to engulf the WHOLE generator, I'd be satisfied.

10. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    It would still look fake. What they really need to do is to zap that clip with some CGI, and maybe even ad a new close-up clip from another angle of the blaster fire hitting the generator.

11. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    I didn't mind the explosion itself, but the sad thing is that it seemed like everything on the battle field slowed down as soon as it exploded.

12. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I'm fine with the way is originally, it only takes about 4 seconds of screen time so I won't fret if it isn't changed in the Super Special Edition.

Also, the generator was farther back than the troopers, so the size did seem distorted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.