main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hoth, why Hoth....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by spacename_the_name, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    ok, its a big galaxy, there are alot of planets. True some of them are more hidden than others. but why hoth. what was going through their minds..

"ok, the empire will never find us on this polar opposite of hell planet. good thing we didnt pick that remote jungle paradise planet where naked women inhabit the beaches and that the empire doesnt know where it is. but yeah lets pick the cold one"

i dont know, it seems like it takes more work to adapt thier equipment to the cold when they wont even be there for that long. but then again they wouldnt have been able to ride tuan tauns.

2. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeop, no Tauntauns without Hoth and thats why? For an in-movie explanation I think you hit it on the head. Why would the Rebellion set a base up there? Then again why not?

It's why they wouldn't thats makes it a great secret hiding place.

(Very inconvenient for a ground attack also.)

Theres an in movie explanation, though the out of movie explanation was not Tauntuans IMO.

I think its because of the Wampa.

: )

3. spacename_the_name

Feb 5, 2005
    there are other countless planets, or hell, why not set up on an emperial planet! thats the last place they would expect. but yeah i get the whole hidden last place thing

4. SwoopLocke

SwoopLocke Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2004
    Hoth was great. Hell, Ozzel was convinced it was only smugglers or something similar. If Vader didn't have some gut-feeling that the rebs were there, they would have been there for a lot longer.

5. Rouge_Three

Rouge_Three Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Tickets to Norway were half off.

Seriously though, I would say that when they showcased all the different planets, they wanted to have a diversity and unique feeling to each. Tatooine came off as a desert world, while Bespin came off as a planet of clouds. Endor is a forest planet while Yavin seems to be more of a deciduous forest planet. They probably thought of different planets to take the watcher to, and an ice world seemed to be a nice choice, as they could easily go to a place like Norway and film it there.

The directors of the OT seemed to try to include planets where they could easily portray in real life by going to locations that suited the planets. Hoth could be filmed in northern Europe where ice is, whereas Tattoine could be filmed in Africa and Endor in the California redwoods. They didn't try to put planets like Mustafar in there because it couldn't be done, and thus the more CGI influenced planets made it into the PT when they couldn't be done in the OT.

Storywise. It was remote and the Empire wouldn't even think of looking there. Snow also made a nice camofauge and the shield generator coudl easily be made to look like a prefab shelter. If it weren't for Vader, the Empire would have overlooked the planet completely. So it worked, to a certian degree.

6. Aeneas_Falco

Aeneas_Falco Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    Frequent snowstorms would also make any signs of habitation less visible. Think about the satellites we send to observe other planets. They have often great difficultly seeing through dust storms, volcanish ash and the like. Snow would have the same effect.

7. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I like Hoth, although even if I live in Scandinavia I'm glad my home looks more like Yavin most of the time. :) That said, Endor and Yavin are very similar to each other. Let's not forget that Dagobah was shot entirely on a soundstage.

8. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    Hoth is the best Rebel base. It's so remote they thought to stay hidden from the Empire for a while.

9. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Maybe they found a Battle-Theater sheild generator and a large ion cannon left over from the Clone Wars there.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Rebels chose it because it was so unlike Yavin IV.

After the Rebels evacuated Yavin Base, the Imperials started searching other jungle planets for them, figuring that that was the environment their equipment was adjusted to.

The Rebels knew this and chose an ice planet instead since the Empire wouldn't be the first palce the Empire would look.

11. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    ^ I'll buy that.

Also, why Hoth? Why not?
    One isolated rim world is just as good as any other.

Besides, in this are, "there are so many uncharted settlements".

12. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Your reaction to Hoth is the same reaction the Rebels hoped the Empire would have.

13. LukeGroundwalker

LukeGroundwalker Jedi Master star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Hoth is the probably the most unexpected place the Empire would look for the Rebels. And George Lucas chose the right planet, it was the best battle of the OT.

14. GarthSidious

GarthSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    fooled admiral ozzel

15. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2005
    or hell, why not set up on an imperial planet! thats the last place they would expect

that's an interesting idea, for that matter, why don't they set up camp inside an imperial prison, or in one of the cells on the detention level of vader's flag ship,

they'd never look for them there (;

16. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    It's isolated, the climate ensures that it'll be the last place the Imperials would expect them to go. I mean, "It's so damn cold, are these Rebels crazy?" is probably what the Imperials would say.

Plus they may have run out of options, they just had to set base there while searching for the next good spot. Indeed, I get the feeling that all the rebel bases would not be permanent, they'll always have to be ready to evacuate.

17. Rouge_Three

Rouge_Three Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    "Indeed, I get the feeling that all the rebel bases would not be permanent, they'll always have to be ready to evacuate."

See Dantooine.

From the stuff Han said at the beginning of Empire, it sounded like they had been moving around a lot as well. What was it, Ord Mandrell where he ran into the bounty hunter? And then of course there's Yavin after the Death Star blew. I wonder how long they had been at Hoth before ESB.

18. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    They must have been at Hoth for quite some time, since they had time to install a shield generator and the ion cannon. And adapt to the enviroment by taming the wild beasts for riding, etc.

At least half a year, IMO.

19. GarthSidious

GarthSidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    or hell, why not set up on an imperial planet! thats the last place they would expect

that's an interesting idea, for that matter, why don't they set up camp inside an imperial prison, or in one of the cells on the detention level of vader's flag ship,

they'd never look for them there (;

because remember

The closer we are to danger, the further we are from harm.

oh damn wrong epic saga

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I wonder how long they had been at Hoth before ESB.<<

Echo Base had just come "online" relatively recently, though it wasn't finished yet- they were still digging caverns, installing defenses, regional sensor networks, were short on supplies and had yet to adjust all the equipment to the cold weather.

They had been building it for about two years though, but they didn't really "move in" until a couple months before the Empire found them.

21. spacename_the_name

Feb 5, 2005
    ok, just because of the taun tauns it was a cool choice. but did they bring the taun tauns or where they already there?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tauntauns are native to Hoth- they're what the Wampas primarily feed upon.

23. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Possible overabundance of Winter gear and warmer clothing.

The Rebel Budget Comittee was probably breathing down Mon Mothma's neck about her previous request back on Yavin IV of warm clothing for a "just-in-case" situation, and they had to set up base on Hoth, due to the fact that their forest gear was ratted, and needed to be decommissioned, and there wasn't enough funds in the budget to get more.

Mon Mothma should've hired a respectable Galactic Financial Advisor, as to avoid situations like this.

As a result of Mon's bad money management, there is some poor block of gutted frozen Taun Taun carcus, and a one-armed wampa running around.

24. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Chewie's flea and tick collar was no longer effective and Han, being one of the most wanted beings in the galaxy, couldn't just waltz on into the nearest Imp-Mart and grab a couple, so they went to a world without fleas and ticks. That and Han just LOVED a certain bodily reaction Leia had to the cold... ;)

25. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    i think hoth was a great , election... why should hey take any boring planets.. izt's much more exciting i f it's a strange planet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.