main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [House M. D.] Gregory House: The Early Years- Drama/Angst/Humor

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Title: Gregory House: The Early Years
    Author: LilyHobbitJedi
    Characters: House, John and Blythe House, Wilson, Cuddy, Stacy
    Genre: Drama, Angst, Humor
    Summary: Ever wonder about House's early life that has been shrouded in such mystery? Well this story covers it all ranging from his birth, to his college days, and the infamous infarction. It also will cover House's relationship with his parents.

AN: This is a something I?ve wanted to write for a long time. I know stories about House?s childhood have been written before and I?m not trying to copy, but to put my own spin on things. The main reason being that the stories out there don?t seem to encompass every little facet about House?s life before the show and this is my attempt to fix that.

Some of the events that will be covered in this story range from everything from House living in Japan and Egypt, his relationship with his parents, his attending Michigan and being kicked out of Johns Hopkins, meeting Stacy and Cuddy, the infarction, getting hired at PPTH and of course meeting Wilson. I plan on trying to be as accurate with the information revealed as possible, but of course some things are left to the imagination.

This story will end right where the show starts. I hope you all enjoy my first attempt in our beautiful new NSWFF forum!

Disclaimer: House is owned by David Shore, I?m just borrowing his characters for a little while.

Gregory House: The Early Years

Chapter 1: 1958-1959

Blythe House looked at the doctor in growing shock and wonder. The news she just learned was the most joyous one she could imagine, and Blythe couldn?t wait to tell her husband. For she just learned that she was pregnant, something she?d been hoping for ever since she married John House. And now her wish was going to be fulfilled, she would soon be a mother.

She wondered how John would take the news. He was a stern man what with being a Marine, but he was kind and Blythe loved him dearly. As much as she longed for a child, it was never something they discussed. She prayed that he would be receptive to the news, but then having a baby was one of the greatest pleasures of life.

When John returned home from work that evening, Blythe tried to decide the best way to reveal the news to her husband. Luckily he seemed in high spirits that day, and she made it better by making his favorite meal.

?Thank you dear,? John said looking down at the plate Blythe set before him.

?You?re welcome,? Blythe replied with a smile. ?So how was work today??

That was the magical question, for John loved his work more than nearly everything else. He was fiercely proud of the fact that he was a Marines pilot, and could spend several hours telling every little detail about his job. Blythe was on the receiving end of this on more than one occasion, but that was one more reason why she loved him.

?It was great dear, though I had to teach a rookie a lesson he?ll never forget,? John commented vaguely for a change, taking a large bite of his steak. ?How was your day??

Blythe took a deep breath, and knew that now was the time. ?It was wonderful John. I went to the doctor today and he said that I?m,? and she suddenly faltered looking at her husband?s curious face. ?Pregnant.?

John?s eyes widened and he swallowed. ?A baby,? he said in a quiet voice. ?Isn?t that a surprise.?

Blythe couldn?t tell if he was upset or not, but she decided to test the waters. ?Are you unhappy?? she asked.

?Are you kidding?? John asked shocked. Then his face broke into a smile. ?That?s wonderful news Blythe. We?re going to be parents!?

Blythe sighed in relief. ?I?m so happy you think so,? she said. ?I?m due in June.?

~~~~~

?John, give me your hand,? Blythe said, beaming. John, who was very nearly outside the door, paused and turned to his wife.

?I have to go--,? he started to say, before a look of disappointment crossed her features. He walked to her, and put his hand in hers.

?Our baby is kicking,? Blythe said joyfully. ?The child is quite impatient already.?

2. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    This is a beautiful start, Lily!
    Would you PM me once you update? I love House and I find it really interesting seeing what his life was like in the early years.

=D=

3. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Wonderful first chapter, Lily! I'm excited to see where this goes.

I wouldn't object to being on your PM list. ;)

4. Rosa-Belle

Rosa-Belle Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2007
    Wonderful start! =D=
    I love House and it's a great idea to write about his earlier life especially the way he discribes it.

I'd like to be on the pm list as well.:)

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Just a reminder, guys! Please put the genre in brackets before the title!

6. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Geez, I forgot how old he is. [face_laugh] Can't wait to see his first meeting with Wilson. :p

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice start!

I had to teach a rookie a lesson he?ll never forget

Now I know where Greg got his manners.

Please PM me when you update

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Awesome start!! =D=
    I have a feeling parts of this are going to be heartbreaking, knowing the few things we do about his relationship with his father! :(

I'm very excited to read more!! If you are doing a PM list, could I be on it?? [face_praying]

9. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    I love this! :D You should definitely add me to the PM list. :D

10. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    Ceillean: This is a beautiful start, Lily!

Thank you so much!

Would you PM me once you update? I love House and I find it really interesting seeing what his life was like in the early years.

I would be happy to pm you, I too was always curious to see something written about his early days but I never found anything so I decided to write it myself.

DarthBerryStraw: Wonderful first chapter, Lily! I'm excited to see where this goes.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.

I wouldn't object to being on your PM list.

I will be happy to add you to it.

Rosa-Belle: Wonderful start!
    I love House and it's a great idea to write about his earlier life especially the way he discribes it.

Thank you, I fully plan on explaining everything (at least until something is revealed in the show).

I'd like to be on the pm list as well.

I would be happy to add you to the list.

Miana Kenobi: Just a reminder, guys! Please put the genre in brackets before the title!

Sorry about that. [face_blush]

JadeSolo: Geez, I forgot how old he is. Can't wait to see his first meeting with Wilson.

It should be interesting.;)

KELIA: Very nice start!

Thank you!

Now I know where Greg got his manners.

Very true, though I've barely touched the surface of House and his dad.

Please PM me when you update

I would be happy to.

Looking forward to more

More is coming soon.

mavjade: Awesome start!!

Thank you!

I have a feeling parts of this are going to be heartbreaking, knowing the few things we do about his relationship with his father!

You're absolutely right. :(

I'm very excited to read more!! If you are doing a PM list, could I be on it??

I would be happy to add you to the list.

Goddess-Jaina-Redick: I love this! You should definitely add me to the PM list.

Thank you, I certainly will. :)

11. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    Summary: Ever wonder about House's early life that has been shrouded in such mystery? Well this story covers it all ranging from his birth, to his college days, and the infamous infarction. It also will cover House's relationship with his parents.
    AN: In this chapter we get to see a toddler House! Thanks for reading!
    Disclaimer: House is owned by David Shore, I?m just borrowing his characters for a little while.

PM List:
    Ceillean
    DarthBerryStraw
    Rosa-Belle
    KELIA
    mavjade
    Goddess-Jaina-Redick

If you would like to be removed/added to the list, please let me know.

Chapter 2: 1960

Blythe stood up, trying to ignore her back?s protest as she did so. For the last couple of hours she scrubbed the floors as company was coming over that night and she fully intended for the place to be spotless. But she was constantly slowed down by her energetic one year old who seemed to grow bored faster than Blythe could come up with new ways to keep him distracted.

Currently the boy was banging pots and pans together, which seemed to amuse him to no end. Greg was amused by sounds and would try to discover new ways of hitting them together to change the sounds. Anytime he did it, the boy would shriek in glee distracting Blythe from her chores. The pots were giving her a little bit of a headache, but it kept him occupied.

Motherhood was something that astounded and amazed Blythe. Her son was absolutely perfect in her eyes, and sometimes she couldn?t believe how lucky she was to have such a wonderful gift in Greg. She was no child expert, but she felt her son was something special. Sure all mothers felt that way about their songs, but Blythe was positive this wasn?t the whole story.

For Greg seemed to learn things very quickly, he was early to walk, and early to talk. And he loved working out any of the children?s puzzles Blythe gave him. It was too early to tell if her son was a certified genius or not, but one thing was for certain, Greg was a very bright child.

As far as John went, he seemed happy enough. He worked most of the day, but he did attempt at times to bond with his son whether by rolling balls back and forth or reading a story to him. John, wasn?t, however, thrilled with Gregory?s antics, and put him in a corner on more than one occasion.

?Momma??

Blythe was suddenly startled, and she distractedly looked down at Greg who was standing in front of her, the pots forgotten.

?What is it honey,? Blythe said with a smile.

?I?m bored,? Greg replied pouting.

Blythe sighed and vaguely wondered what on earth she could distract her son with this time. And then she heard the sound of the doorknob turning. ?Daddy?s home,? she said to Greg, though he was already on his feet, toddling to John.

John ruffled Greg?s hair much to the boy?s displeasure.

Blythe walked out and greeted John with a kiss before taking his coat. ?How was your day?? she asked.

?Wonderful,? John replied with a grin. ?And how are preparations for tonight coming along.?

?The roast is already in the oven,? Blythe told him. ?And it will be ready in time.?

~~~~~

That night when everyone came over, Blythe was trying all in her power to keep Greg occupied once more. He didn?t eat much for a change and instead was more amused by staring at their guests and muttering to himself. He was also playing with his food and despite Blythe?s attempts to stop him, he managed to throw a large handful of mashed potatoes?right at John?s boss. It landed square on top of his head.

Greg immediately thought this was great and the boy started clapping and giggling like crazy. John on the other hand was glaring at his son and growing redder by the second. John?s boss grabbed clumps of the potatoes out of his hair, looking very disgusted.

Blythe, ever the housewife was instantly prepared to try and smooth things over.

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Awww... poor little Greg! So this is where it all begins... :(
    I'm already mad at John and he has barely done anything. :mad:

And he loved working out any of the children's puzzles Blythe gave him.
    He he he... loved that little touch!

Great update!! =D=
    I'm looking forward to more!!

13. DarthBerryStraw

Mar 20, 2007
    ?If you ever do that again,? John threatened. ?I swear to God you?ll regret it for the rest of your life.?

As little Greg watched his father storm out of the room again, he could only wonder just what his father had been trying to say.

Poor Greg. :( This is where it all begins.

Nice chapter, and thanks for the PM! :D

14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Poor Greg. :( He's just a kid and he was having fun.
    Don't they seem like the perfect American family from the sixties? Except they're not really that perfect.
    Great update, Lily!

And thanks for the PM!

15. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I'm not surprised Greg was such a handful as a toddler.

Loved the image of him hitting his dad's boss on the head with the potatos, it's just unfortunate the boss wasn't more understanding....on the other hand, I probably wouldn't have been in his shoes! :p

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

16. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Please put me on the PM list! Is this going to eventually lead up to when he becomes a doctor, or what?

-B-

17. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Obviously, the boss has never before seen a small child in its natural habitat. :p I like that the kid stares back at his father - that's the House I know and love.

18. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    Loved that chapter! :D I can only imagine what trouble Baby House would get into, so I definitely don't envy his parents. :p But still, you have to just grin and bear a one-year-olds antics, dear old daddy.

(Thanks for the PM and sorry it took me so long to respond. Been all kinds of busy lately and didn't hav time to sit down and read a bit.)

19. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    mavjade: Awww... poor little Greg! So this is where it all begins...
    I'm already mad at John and he has barely done anything.

Yeah, poor Greg already has lots to deal with and the worst is still to come.

And he loved working out any of the children's puzzles Blythe gave him.
    He he he... loved that little touch!

Thanks, I like to imagine that House would've been that curious, even so young.

Great update!!
    I'm looking forward to more!!

Thank you, more is coming.

DarthBerryStraw: Poor Greg. This is where it all begins.

Yes it is. :(

Nice chapter, and thanks for the PM!

Thank you, and you're welcome for the pm.

Ceillean: Poor Greg. He's just a kid and he was having fun.
    Don't they seem like the perfect American family from the sixties? Except they're not really that perfect.
    Great update, Lily!

Yes, poor Greg. They're certainly not the average family, thank you!

And thanks for the PM!

You're welcome.

KELIA: I'm not surprised Greg was such a handful as a toddler.

Yup! [face_laugh]

Loved the image of him hitting his dad's boss on the head with the potatos, it's just unfortunate the boss wasn't more understanding....on the other hand, I probably wouldn't have been in his shoes!

Yeah, his dad coul've definitely reacted better.

Great update

Thank you!

blubeast1237: Please put me on the PM list! Is this going to eventually lead up to when he becomes a doctor, or what?

I would be happy to add you to the list. This story is going to cover everything significant from his childhood, to his college days, and will end right before the show starts.

JadeSolo: Obviously, the boss has never before seen a small child in its natural habitat. I like that the kid stares back at his father - that's the House I know and love.

No, it seems like he hasn't. Yes, I think that House would even stand up to his dad at some point in his childhood.

Goddess-Jaina-Redick: Loved that chapter! I can only imagine what trouble Baby House would get into, so I definitely don't envy his parents. But still, you have to just grin and bear a one-year-olds antics, dear old daddy.

Thank you! And yes, John should've been kinder to poor Greg.

(Thanks for the PM and sorry it took me so long to respond. Been all kinds of busy lately and didn't hav time to sit down and read a bit.)

I can understand DRL, good to have you back. :)

20. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    AN: In this chapter House is a precocious 5 year old, and there is a reference to the episode One Day, One Room, I think you'll realize what it is. I hope you enjoy this!

PM List:
    Ceillean
    DarthBerryStraw
    Rosa-Belle
    KELIA
    mavjade
    Goddess-Jaina-Redick
    blubeast1237

If you would like to be removed/added to the list, please let me know.

Chapter 3: 1964

Music was something that five year old Gregory took to like a fish in the sea. In fact as of only a few months before the child started to teach himself the piano. The House?s had an old antique piano in their home that had belonged to Greg?s grandmother, and from the moment he first touched the instrument, he was hooked.

His mother thought this was marvelous and immediately enrolled Greg in course with a piano instructor. He was quick to learn how to read music, but soon grew impatient with the slow pace the teacher set. And she though admired Greg?s progress was highly irritated by his improvisations on the pieces they worked on. After a couple of months Greg stopped piano lessons altogether and was far happier to play at his own pace.

School was another matter entirely. Blythe wasn?t far off the mark when she thought her son was a handful at one, but that was nothing compared to him as a kindergartner. Her intuition that she had a genius of a son was right on the money for he excelled in every subject in school. Though the child did have one major fault, he argued with his teacher.

~~~~~

?Mrs. House, thank you so much for coming in today,? the teacher said cordially shaking Blythe?s hand. ?Please have a seat.?

Blythe was a bit concerned at having been asked for a parent teacher conference when he only started school a few weeks before. She sat down, and took a deep breath. ?What did Gregory do??

?First off let me say I think your son is very intelligent and is the top of the class,? Mrs. Smith said, showing toothy smile. ?But you see the problem is that he feels it?s his task to?how should I say this?openly mocked me in front of the entire class.?

Blythe gasped. ?What did he say??
    ?He complained loudly about the story time happy circle, and then said that I was being condescending, (I was surprised he knew such a big word) to the class by speaking to them in a ?baby talk?. I was very offended by this, he?s the first child I?ve ever met to hate story time,? Mrs. Smith explained sadly.

?I?m sorry about that,? Blythe apologized. ?You see his father is a marine and well, he has a blunt manner about him. I think our son takes after him that way.?

?I understand,? Mrs. Smith said. ?But please talk to him, because next time I?m going to have to send him to the principal?s office.?

?I will,? Blythe replied. ?Thank you.?

~~~~~

?Why did you have to go to a conference?? John demanded as the family was sitting at the table.

?The teacher expressed some concerns about Gregory?s behavior in class,? Bly commented lightly. She seriously hoped that John wouldn?t inquire further, because he would only get upset. And that was honestly the last thing Blythe wanted.

?And?? John queried further glancing over at Greg who was ignoring him and taking small bites of his meatloaf.

Blythe sighed again. ?He was being rude to the teacher.?

?WHAT!? John exclaimed angrily as he stood up quickly knocking his chair down in the process. He glared daggers at his son, who was staring at his plate. ?No son of mine disrespects their elders like that; you should be ashamed of yourself

21. DarthBerryStraw

Mar 20, 2007
    I know I'd hate to be the teacher of House. [face_laugh] He'd be more than a handful.

I really don't like his father. :(

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I feel sorry for that teacher, but not nearly as sorry as I do for the ones later in his life, once he learns he is smarter than them! :p

?Get in the bathtub, now!? John ordered. ?I?m going to teach you a lesson you will never forget.?
    As soon as I read this I almost started to cry... I couldn't imagine doing that to a child, much less a five year old. I've been in an ice bath before (not as a punishment though) and it really isn't fun, not to mention could be very dangerous such a young child.
    Can I kill House's dad now before he does any more??? :mad:

Great chapter Lily!! =D= I can't wait for more!!
    Thanks for the PM! [:D]

23. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Though the child did have one major fault, he argued with his teacher.

Who Greg?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:p

his decision he was always to remember for years to come. ?I?m never going to be a Marine.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I bet his dad will love that decision.

His "punishment" was way out of line but at least Greg got through it and kept his unique sense of humor.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

24. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    :eek: I really don't like John. That's the most vile punishment ever!
    Poor Greg.

But this was a wonderful update. Sorry it took me so long to comment. [:D]
    Thanks for the PM!

25. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    DarthBerryStraw: I know I'd hate to be the teacher of House. He'd be more than a handful.

That's for sure. [face_laugh]

I really don't like his father.

Isn't he terrible?

mavjade: I feel sorry for that teacher, but not nearly as sorry as I do for the ones later in his life, once he learns he is smarter than them!

For sure! [face_laugh]

As soon as I read this I almost started to cry... I couldn't imagine doing that to a child, much less a five year old. I've been in an ice bath before (not as a punishment though) and it really isn't fun, not to mention could be very dangerous such a young child.
    Can I kill House's dad now before he does any more???

I've had a couple ice baths too (because I had a fever) and you're absolutely right, it's terrible. And unfortunately we haven't seen the last of John House's cruelty. :(

Great chapter Lily!! I can't wait for more!!
    Thanks for the PM!

Thank you, more is on the way.

KELIA: Who Greg?

Of course. [face_laugh]

I bet his dad will love that decision.

Of course.

His "punishment" was way out of line but at least Greg got through it and kept his unique sense of humor.

Yeah that's for sure.

Great update

Thank you!

Ceillean: I really don't like John. That's the most vile punishment ever!
    Poor Greg.

Yeah, it's terrible.

But this was a wonderful update. Sorry it took me so long to comment.
    Thanks for the PM!

I'm so glad you liked it, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.