main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph House of Cards (Netflix Original Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    in the last episode, Stamper is getting Rachel out of DC because that hacker guy finds out about her and as they're leaving she thinks Stamper is going to kill her. She runs, he follows her, and she hit him in the head with a brick.

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah the first episode was a bit of a waste

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, I've finished.

My thoughts:

For the first time, we see the House of Cards that Frank and Claire have built start to fall. It's clear early on that there are problems between the two of them: Claire is sleeping in a separate bedroom every night and she wants Frank to nominate her as UN Ambassador. On the one hand, Claire has a point: If this is as far as they get, they need to go big or go home. So I get why she wants to be ambassador. But she's no Eleanor Roosevelt. She proves to be incredibly naive several times and her mistakes all come back to bite Frank. In this, Puti- I mean Petrav does have a point when he forces Frank to fire her. If there is one weakness for Frank it is and always has been his love and trust in Claire. If she is convinced the Russian ambassador is telling the truth, that is good enough for him to commit to a risky mission. I think what irked me most was when the peacekeeping mission was falling apart and Claire still wanted Frank to let her accomplish things through diplomacy after proving time and again that she can't succeed.

To this end, Frank's need to be about action this season was interesting. His ploy of promising not to run in order to get America Works through Congress was interesting. As was his decision to seize control of FEMA's funds and use it to fund AmWorks in DC. But this time it feels like Frank's actions bordered more and more on reckless. And I'd argue that this was intentional. Doug summed it up best when he points out that Frank has been falling a lot over the year and he needs someone to pick him up. And like him or hate him, Doug was always Frank's go to guy for fixing things and making plans. Remy may have been a worthy protege and an opponent, but he was constantly outmaneuvered by Frank and Doug. And Seth, while good, is like the Diet Doug. So now, Doug is back and ready to fight. I thought his manipulations of Dunbar were pretty impressive but honestly never thought for a moment Doug would turn on his masters. As much as Claire hates needing Frank, I think Doug is literally addicted-worse than alcohol or drugs- he NEEDS Frank. So it was no real surprise when he revealed he had never given Heather the journal.

I think more than anything this season showed us the evolution of power corrupting everyone. Heather Dunbar starts out as the beacon of justice and fairness. She is the Harvey Dent of this story- the white knight looking to clean up corruption. When Doug first reveals the journal, Heather swears she will NEVER attack a person like that. When Frank offers her a seat on the Supreme Court, she genuinely wanted it and it was only after Frank's bullying to get Jacobs to resign that she claims she decided she should run. Sure Birch had been convincing her, but really she used Frank's bullying as the reason. Which is why I loved the scene where Jacobs asks her to take his seat and she refuses, realizing how badly she wants to be president. This is after promising nothing to Jackie in exchange for her support. And after her debate performance. But as Jackie drops out and she grows more desperate trying to fend off the "Claire factor", she finally joins Frank in the muck and lowers herself to his level. I suppose that is why I was bothered by the footnote she became in the final episode. It seems as though her actual defeat came when she tried to use the journal against Frank, but the thing is, there was never a silver bullet that took her down. So how did he win the nomination? Just Claire? I doubt it. Her concession at the end felt unearned because we never really saw her falter politically. Sure, she did poorly in the debate compared to Frank, but not enough to make it a deciding factor.

As to the ending, I don't see Claire making it down that staircase. I see Frank pulling out every trick he has to get her on that plane and I won't be surprised if it comes directly from Doug's bag of tricks.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finished the new season somehow. Still pretty binge-worthy, though I'm inclined to think it's had a drop in quality.

Thoughts:
    -- This whole season just seemed... to lack any real stakes. We don't see Underwood fighting any real enemy or undergoing any real challenge. Instead, we start the season with him embattled off-screen with low approval ratings... and then we see people oppose his ideas because of reasons (mostly because they don't like him). That's no way to make Underwood work for it! It's very much tell rather than show.

-- The stuff between the Underwoods was decent drama enough, and *that* at least felt like it actually had the stage set for it. But the stage was set in prior seasons and we're just seeing the culmination of that, so I'm not inclined to credit it much.

-- Dunbar could've been more of a threat, but most of the conflict between Underwood and Dunbar was conducted via "polls" and fake news stories. We only saw them together a few times, and while those were good, those were also the only time we saw real conflict and tension.

-- In contrast, the stuff with Vladimir Putin Victor Petrov was pretty good. They laid the whole crazy paranoia bit on thick, but the power games and the candid conversation of grandstanding to look strong for his people were good. The Pussy Riot stuff was a great thumbing of the nose at Russia.

-- Given that this show is pretty popular in China, that whole Tibetan ceremony (with the picture of the Dalai Lama, whose image is forbidden in Tibet) seemed another intentional statement. The mandala that they constructed out of the sand was excellent though, and i'm glad they showed the process. I've had the good fortune to see this stuff in Tibet, and it's amazing. Very impressive sort of dedication.

-- The stuff with Jackie and Remi was good. That was a character struggle that both had seeds in earlier seasons, as well as proper treatment in this season. It was among the most compelling stuff we saw, especially as they both struggled to deal with Underwood's self-centered and reckless behavior.

-- The Stamper stuff was really not necessary and wasted a lot of time for no good reason. He should have stayed dead. But the whole thing about the little kids (briefly) giving him a taste of humanity was nice.

I'm re-watching the BBC version now in preparation to watch the third series, which I've yet to see. It is so much more riveting, which seems really odd to say considering I just binge-watched the third season in a weekend... odd sort of perception, but it's what it feels like.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm only 2eps in, Iello, but I would agree with the quality drop so far. It's still polished, but what made it gripping isn't working for it now.

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

I'd add that, visually, the show's lost a fair amount of flair. It's not visually engaging the way it was in seasons one and two.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm also in the group of people who found this season a little disappointing but still watched 13 episodes in 3 days so clearly they're still doing something right. i thought the last episode paid things off pretty nicely and i was glad

claire left. i thought that was the only thing the character could do at that point and remain in character. i thought robin wright really killed it this season. i thought a major theme of the season was that frank, now in the spotlight, sort of had his hands tied most of the time and couldn't really sneak around and connive the way he used to. that was a big part of what was missing compared to the first two seasons and at times it didn't really feel like house of cards without it. but at the same time it did make sense.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I started watching this series not too long ago. I just saw Zoe going splat.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  9. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005

i guess that last bit is why i found this season more interesting.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Same. I started watching in January....almost done Season 2.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I agree with most of that. Just Would have been nice to have more actual focus on

Frank struggling with how limiting his power is, and how he had more power when his rank was lower. But, we didn't get that.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I agree with most of that. Just Would have been nice to have more actual focus on

Frank struggling with how limiting his power is, and how he had more power when his rank was lower. But, we didn't get that.

13. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i've got two eps. left in the third season.

i really like the more (though obviously not actually) realistic way that it seems Frank is running up against problems he can't really solve, some of which are his own fault in the first place. the lack of a "big bad" is obvious, and it wasn't really handled as well as it could have been. overall though, i'm entertained and loving it just as much as i liked the previous two seasons. it's absolutely different, though.

my definite favorite part of this season has been the development of remi as a character. i want that dude to be president.

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Can I mention also how glad I am that:

Doug went back and killed Rachel. Honestly this was a plot that NEEDED to die. And while it is too bad she had to die with it, hopefully that is the end. I really have no interest in any more of Doug's obsessive behavior.

15. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I don't think that's over. There's obviously a reason why it's been a consistent arc throughout the entire show.

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Season 4 - March 4

TryWhistlingThis likes this.
  17. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Finally! So I guess i'll start my re-watch around January 15

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    No real surprises here, but the next season of House Of Cards will be a reduced run without Spacey and will serve as the final season.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-...e-star-of-house-of-cards-final-season/9226260

I have an idea of how they could write Frank out:

At the end of Season 5, he is in a separate building. All kinds of things could happen. He could have a cardiac issue or maybe the building could get blown up?

Master_Rebado likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    given their casual relationship with anything good, it almost doesn't matter.

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't think Frank can be written out or should be. He pushes Claire and Claire pushes him. Their relationship when it does and doesn't work has been very compelling to watch. But based on the way the last season ended, a line was drawn and I was interested to see where that was going. Why can't they just recast Frank?

At this point, I'd just want it to end with a Doug Stamper spin off.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Depends on if House of Cards wants to use whatever footage (if any) Spacey has fillmed for the final season.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes why not after all they're not ditching him because his personal brand is toxic..

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    hey look, one year.

has anyone made it past the first episode of the new season? dreadful thus far, hoping there's some improvement.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i hadn't got around to watching season 5 when the spacey stuff came out and now i'm doubtful i'll ever pick it up again.

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    you're better off, it was a mess.

tom likes this.