main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Hover tech vs walker tech

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Loupgarou, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Throughout all eras of the GFFA, both vehicles that hover and vehicles that walk through mechanical means are widespread and in use by most factions. While I'm aware the real design decisions made by lucasfilm came down to aesthetics, I'm wondering if anyone can think of a viable reason to go with a walker over a repulsorcraft, or why the invention of repulsors didn't make walkers obsolete. At first I thought it must be a weight limit thing, but the OT has jabba's sail barge and skiffs, and the PT has trade federation tanks and troop transports. Plus, a hover AT-AT may have looked silly, but couldn't have been tow cable'd.
    There might not be any answer here, Star Wars is not something rooted in realism, but it'd be satisfying to find a reason.

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Usually the explanation is that walkers aren't as susceptible to strange gravitational and electromagnetic fluctuations to the same extent repulsor vehicles are, which makes them more "all-terrain." They're also inherently more stable, because they're actually physically in contact with the ground.

I think the main reason they used walkers on Hoth was because it was easier for them to pass through the powerful theater shield the Rebels deployed in a large radius around their base. The energy field projected by the shield would have messed with a hovertank's repulsor field too much.

Sarge likes this.
  3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    AT-ATs make sense because they could trample over anything in their path. AT-STs on Endor made little sense to me, and their weakness was exposed by the Ewoks.

4. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    More stable? Given how extremely top heavy they are, I don't agree. Give it six legs and build it close to the ground then yes. Also say a walker has to walk along an surface with an incline. Say sideways a steep hill. What would happen? It would fall over. Or says that it faced with a 5 meter wide, 5 meter deep ditch. Then what? It won't be able to cross it. Unless it can somehow jump over it.

[/QUOTE]

First, where is it said that the rebel shield went all the way to the ground? It protected an area of Hoth but why make it comes all the way down to the surface? I got the impression that the shield is just in space and the walkers walked under it. Second, the shield stops physical objects from passing through, it had to be dropped when the rebel flew away. So how can the walkers pass it?

In closing, the walkers were made to look cool, nothing more. Applying logic to them and they make little sense but this is a movie.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

5. Dave1307

Dave1307 Jedi Knight

Jun 3, 2005

[​IMG]

Commander Krix and rumsmuggler like this.
  6. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    AT-TE
    [​IMG]

I can agree with this being problematic for say the CIS and the Rebel Alliance, walker wise. The Republic/ Empire on the other hand, thought this through.

AT-RT
    [​IMG]

A few other vehicles that I felt were better of use than Repulser-lift.

A-6 Juggernaut (I know it's not a walker, but it's still making physical contact with the ground below it, rather than hovering.)
    [​IMG]

AT-OT
    [​IMG]

AT-AP
    [​IMG]

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Walkers have another distinct advantage: terror. Their anthropomorphic nature and the steady plodding sound as they approach can strike fear into enemy troops.

rumsmuggler and Commander Krix like this.
  8. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I know I'd be terrified seeing an A-6 Juggy rolling my way.