How about a Fan Force Europe/UK Newsletter - made by the fans for the fans?

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by timbolton, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A while back when I was RSA for the Fan Force UK, I proposed a printed newsletter which we could send out to members and other interested parties. We didn't get it off the ground unfortunately, probably partly to do with there only being so many Fan Force UK members, printing costs, etc but people were interested in the idea. I think because I was UK based, I limited it too much - I focused on the UK. Celebration Europe really got me realising how great the people are in FF Europe, and we are definitely a larger wider community and I believe strongly that CE showed we could all work well together, have fun and do something good in our community and fandom.

Printing it was also an issue. An easier version to deliver would be an electronic edition (so avoiding costly printing costs - I think the most common format would be a Acrobat pdf file), and one that all FF Europe could participate in. It would be produced by a collaboration of members, about our Fan Forces and also can highlight the creative talents we have in them - from costuming, fan art, fan fic, fan film and beyond. It would be our version of Star Wars Insider - but entirely focused on what Fan Force does and is about.

And although at Celebration Europe English was the main language used, we could also cater for other languages in sections aimed at fans from where those languages are used. Not sure I'd say we go as far as different language versions, but that could be always an option if FF members were keen to push for that.

Below is a mock up of the preview issue I created for Fan Force UK (North) -

[image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/cover_front_back.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/cover_inside.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp01_20.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp02_03.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp04_05.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp06_07.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp08_09.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp10_11.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp12_13.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp14_15.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp16_17.jpg]
    [image=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/timbolton/FF%20Newsletter/inside_pp18_19.jpg]

So the question is - do the RSAs/CRs/members of Fan Force Europe/UK think this has potential? Would it help get the message out there to outside groups and help with the recruitment drive. Even if it was only for our own members, it can give a regular extra snapshot to our members of what Fan Force chapters are doing across Europe/UK. And maybe bring us that little bit closer in the long months between the large conventions FF Europe attends as a whole.

Thanks. Danke schön. Merci beaucoup. Hvala. Obrigado. Dank u. Mange tak. Kiitos. Efcharisto. Tusen takk :) (apologies to any I missed out)

Opinions?
  2. Darth_En_Ghedi Jedi Master

star 4
    You can count with my personal help as well as Fan Force Portugal Chapter.

I am thrilled to see such a project and am eager to cooperate.
  3. MARCOLAS FF France North CR - FanForce Logo Designer

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Sounds cool to me.
    FF France is a small group (and it's getting smaller at the time), so I don't really know how we can contribute to a regular newsletter but we can try :)
    Btw, an electronic one will be easier for us :)
    Thanks for the idea :)
  4. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for the support for this so far! Much appreciated :cool: :D Hope we can get it off the ground now.

Right, I've sent PMs to all the CRs and RSAs of FF Europe/UK, see if they think their chapters would be interested. Please feel free to take this to your members, it's about the whole of FF Europe/UK getting involved, not just the hierarchy of tfn. But it should definitely be something discussed there first.

List as I have it -

Cobranaconda - FF-UK South CR
    Darth_En_Ghedi - FF-UK Portugal CR
    Enji - FF Sweden CR
    Fault_Fett - FF Poland CR
    halibut - FF-UK RSA
    JED1 - FF-UK Scotland CR
    Lord-Tice - FF-UK London CR
    MacCaffrey - FF GSA / GSFF RSA / GSFF Central CR
    MaraStardreamer - FF Romania CR
    MARCOLAS - FF France North CR
    Obi Anne - FF Europe RSA CR
    Oissan - FF GSFF North CR
    Oryx-I - FF France South CR
    Pelly-Welly - FF BeNeLux CR
    Qui-Gina-Jinn - FF Denmark CR
    rebeljediknight_88 FF-UK Midlands CR
    rhi-sparks - FF-UK Wales CR
    Spike2002 - FF-UK RSA
    Urkanoid - FF Greece CR

I've also PMed a representative for FF Croatia, they were welcome participants in CE and a great help for the FF efforts there, they are just CR-less atm.

Is that everyone or I have missed someone?

Oh, one further mention - in the early stages of planning for CE, we tried to get a booklet printed out for handing out that would show off our fan ficcers work. That didn't happen because of the issue of fan fic and licensing - the organiser was not keen to go ahead, we had to drop it. Now this is a virtual venture, and since it's not for money/profit, and it's also something passed among the fans, I don't see an issue with us having small fic (or excerpts) in this newsletter and linking people back to the writer's work here. Anyone else think of any issues? This isn't the same as printing and handing out to the general public. In many ways it's like having fan fic in the public domain like it is on a message board. And so far fan fic sites have not been closed down.
  5. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Once again, thanks for the PM, tim. :)
    Croatia is not an official chapter yet, but we are going to become one soon, at least by the next Celebration. ;) We are a small community, but I'm sure we could contribute to this project somehow. I'll post a link to this thread at our little forum, I believe others would be interested as well.

The newsletter in PDF format would be easier and more accessible for everyone, in my opinion. Printed issue could work well to promote the FanForce on major events, probably the next CE.
  6. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    It's a good idea, and I'd contribute if there was a fanfic section. I'm not sure what else I could do besides that.

A4 would be a good size as it would be easiest to print.
  7. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We could consider printing I guess, just when I did a print to take to Liverpool with me - this document was so ink hungry it demolished a whole colour HP ink cartridge, and still sat there looking at me with a beady eye, muttering/growling "Feed me". So I am more inclinded for the acrobat route lol. Wouldn't want anyone else with a hungry printer.
  8. MacCaffrey VIP

star 9
    Looks cool, Tim! :)
    Thanks for the PM.

I think a PDF-Version would be user-friendly. ;)
  9. KIRA-SHAY Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds great Tim! :D

I'd be willing to help with anything :)
  10. MARCOLAS FF France North CR - FanForce Logo Designer

Chapter Rep
    star 6

I agree with my friend Mac :)
  11. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Me too!
  12. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    Me as well. :)

Great idea, Tim! :)
  13. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's a great idea Tim and I think going down the electronic route is very much the best way to approach this.

PDF is definitely an option, as is a HTML-based newsletter. I think it may depend on how big each issue is and how many people manage to contribute towards it, but we have something to work with so hopefully we can get the ball rolling nicely.
  14. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Just saw this. lol :p

But, yeah. It's an awesome idea, and pdf would be best :p
  15. rhi-sparks Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I personally think this has great potential- as a medium for getting the Fanforce's involved with other regions and with getting to know each other a lot better! =D=
  16. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Shhhh, don't make him realise that whilst I've been chatting to him on msn today, I've been secretly staking the FF-UK claim on his land hehe ;) :p

*goes off to rename other European chapters*

Thanks everyone :D
    Hoping this will be a fun venture, glad I sorted though my old FF folder on my folder last few days, have other things hidden away too hehe.
  17. MaraStardreamer Force Ghost

star 4
    I also think this is a great idea, and I'm sure FF Romania members will contribute in every way they can. We are a pretty active group, with lots of activities, we write fan fiction and we have in production our first fan film.

I think it would be a nice idea if every issue of the newsletter would contain a presentation of a different European FanForce and maybe some of the country's touristic attractions. That way we will know each other better, and also the places we are living in. :)
  18. timbolton Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's a great idea :cool: and something that should definitely appear - this is all about what FF Europe is and does, but also the creative sides and just some fun too.

Good to have you on board :D
    I'm away at the London Film and Comic Con this weekend, so I won't be able to respond (unless I can get my PSP linked up to the web at the con ;) ), but hopefully the other CRs and RSAs will post let us know if they think we can do this. We'll give people some time then decide how/when to move on.
  19. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    I volunteer for some articel writing. German and English, doesn't matter.
  20. Urkanoid Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey Tim, everyone. :D Just read your PM and I think that this indeed sounds like an interesting idea. I would like to be of assistance so I'll just keep checking the thread for updates. Rock on.
  21. rebeljediknight_88 Force Ghost

star 4
    great idea!! - i will come back and have a proper read of the thread later (its 2 am and i just got back from hols lol - well back into the house....hehe) but looks great from what i can see
  22. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I like this idea, if we can get it working so that it's not a single person who has to do everything. I know from some experience that it can be exhausting keeping something like this going just by yourself.

23. Oissan Force Ghost

star 6
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

In the case of the GSFF I'd guess it would be best to have it as one unit. As my fellow CR and dear RSA seems to think that this is a good idea as well, it should definately be doable.
  24. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Fantastic idea. I agree with most people. PDF definitely
  25. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Why not have each Fan Force do a part each and then submit it to whoever is in charge?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.