main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How about a Light side type of villain?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shira_French_Cheese, Nov 14, 2012.

1. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I'd be entirely interested in a character who, somewhat like Kreia, wishes to destroy the Force. Except they only wish to destroy the dark side.

2. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013

If they insist on Mortis remaining a thing, maybe someone who tries to resurrect/recreate the Daughter only? They'd be completely off their rocker, naturally, but it'd be an interesting kind of madman to try that.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't understand the dislike of Mortis. I can understand the dislike of what Denning did with Mortis.

4. The Compeer

Jun 12, 2013

I'm on the fence, personally, but I gather that a lot of people would rather that whole arc have been something allegorical, not something that physically happened just like it was depicted onscreen. You'll have to ask someone else to elaborate further than that, I'm afraid; I only saw snippets of it myself.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That's what Denning did with it, as the episodes themselves give no answers to the reality or unreality of their contents.

6. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    It'd be better on a less literal level. Because then the character is free to engage in all kinds of potential "evils". How do they kill the dark side? Do they brutally hunt down members of other Force traditions preemptively, do they try to enact a ritual to destroy the actual dark side (and thus, a ritual that may kill off living beings), do they try to take over the Order? If they're not a Jedi, who are they? Are they a conqueror who imposes a strict, Hammurabi-esque code in their dominion? There's a lot that can be done.

Look at Atris. She's being corrupted, sure, but she's the closest thing we have that fits the idea of a "Light" type of villain. And she works out wonderfully, in both TSL's narrative and in terms of backing up it's themes.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am sick and tired of Lucas meddling in things he doesn't need mess with, and while he's not going have quite the same influence he used to, damage done with TCW and TFU.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    what

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    DigitalMessiah, I don't think Mortis was really needed, though I haven't seen the episodes, so I can't directly comment on Mortis. Mortis is pretty much meaningless to me, because I see the Celestials as nothing more or less than the creators of the Maw and the engineers of the Corellian system.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yea, It is not like he created Star Wars!

Oh, wait...

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Denning's most recent book- Crucible- also has stuff about a monolith- but that, as far as we know, wasn't Mortis itself- though it may have been another creation of the Ones.

It also goes into some detail on how the light side and dark side are both necessary- being creation and destruction respectively- and how, without the dark side, galactic empires would last forever.

12. The Compeer

Jun 12, 2013

Yeah, we hate monolithic galactic hegemons! Like the Republic...wait.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Celestials, the Maw, and the Corellian system have nothing to do with "Overlords," "Altar of Mortis," or "Ghosts of Mortis."

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    True, but Denning made it so Kiliks said the Ones of Mortis were Celestials, well specifically "the Ones are what the Celestials become."

I don't like the idea of the balance of the Force being personified in the Ones, its pointless to me.