main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How about a number series for SW?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_David, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_David

Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    I'm referring to how Star Trek had a number series for their books. They were all in timeline order and separated from the "big novels". These numbered books were usually 275 pages and wrote by a core of authors.

I would love to see authors such as Troy Denning, Michael Stackpole, and Greg Keyes do these novels.

2. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    The number series is one of the things that has made me swear off ST books.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

3. Jedi_David

Oct 6, 2003
    Really YubYub? Care to tell me why? I've heard a lot of complaints about the number series concept but I've always liked it.

4. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Aw dude, I remember the Star Trek novels. Like the one with the big ship race and the one where there were no humans on Earth but there were dinosaurs and the one that had a Battlestar Galactica Viper on the front.... Yeah those books sucked.

5. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Too many books, not enough time or money.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

6. Jedi_David

Oct 6, 2003
    Ah, I see. What I really loved about those days were that you constantly had material to read. A novel came out every few weeks so you were always occupied. I wish SW would do this. There is too long a wait between books.

7. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    No, cause then it would degenerate into the crappy, big aglomeration of horrible fan fiction that the Trek books are now.

8. Jedi_David

Oct 6, 2003
    I still like the Trek books. [face_blush]

9. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    omg! die plz

:p

Trek novels = hell.

10. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Ah, I see. What I really loved about those days were that you constantly had material to read. A novel came out every few weeks so you were always occupied. I wish SW would do this. There is too long a wait between books.

There is a trade-off there. The more books you produce in a short amount of time, the more difficult it becomes to keep to continuity, and to keep up high quality. For all its problems, the Star Wars EU is pretty good in terms of quality and continuity, and I think that few people want to lose that.

Quality over quantity.

11. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I don't understand... what is this "number series" with Star Trek books?
    I don't read ST books, so I've got NO idea what people are talking about. [face_blush]

12. Jedi_David

Oct 6, 2003
    The Star Trek series was numbered #1 - whatever.

They also had "full length" novels that were around 400 pages that weren't counted as a numbered novel. I guess you would have to see some Trek books to know what I'm talking about.

13. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    The X-wing books say right on the cover which number book in the series they are. Most of my Bantam books usually had a timeline in the back of the book telling you were in the SW timeline they fit.

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    We have those series . . .

X-wing is one of them. They have their own cast of characters, different to the usual big names, their own special and outstanding cover fronts, and black colour appearance to differentiate them from the mainstream novels.

Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest are another lengthy series.

And the Clone Wars novels---with commendable cover fronts too.

NJO is another (minus Rebirth and Dark Journey)

And, of course, the Imperial-NR era.

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    No, I don't think that it would work out too well. DelRey hasn't had the best of luck with long series such as the NJO, and I'd rather read more about some solo adventures that go on.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    If my above post made no sense, it's 'cause I just realised I misread the thread title. I thought it suggested a new series. But it proposed numbers, like the comics.

Bugger, so I am fallible. :p

17. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    i see a problem with a numbered series when it comes time to re-insert novels backwards into the continuity. i mean, look at how the Bantam books came out - first the Zahn novels, then a bunch of novels that came afterwards and also another bunch of novels (CoPL, TaB, the X-Wing books) which came out before. even more recently, look at Tatooine Ghost.

i mean, what would you do, go back and call a book #7.3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.