main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How about belt pouches...

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by jedi_1966, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    O.k. i've seen threads on robes,food capsules,boots,sabers,blades,tunics,belts...
    any one got info on how to MAKE belt pouches?
    Really decent looking ones,as close to the film prop ones?I don't wanna buy,they get too $$$.

2. jedi_night_queen

jedi_night_queen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    this should help sry if it dosent http://www.padawansguide.com/belt.shtml

3. Jamor_MilDe

Jamor_MilDe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2002
    Check eBay frequently, I just won some nice ones yesterday for a little over $10.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2123515644&rd=1

4. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Check out this thread: Help finding Jedi pouches. (Hint: It's always a good idea to check out about the first ten pages or so of the forum before asking about specific parts to a Jedi costume (or about any other main costume). There are usually several floating around at any given time.)

5. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Hiya,
    I need an opinion concerning some pouches I'd seen. If Kai Rhann or someone can help, great.
    I can't duplcaite the wavy look is tuff.
    Instead I saw a black leather pouch that was the same size as the small jedi pouches in Circuit City. If anyone has seen one, then we cna be on the smae page. Has anyone seen one of those? Only down side is it closes w/ velcro YUCK! I hate that stuff. :( Plus side: has a belt loop that should go over the Jedi belt easily, can fit Jedi items OR a camera. :) Lightweight, made of real leather.

Mynn

6. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Hi, Mynn...

I've not seen the pouch that you are talking about.

However, pouches are really not difficult to make. You just need some basic leather tools (provided you are using leather). Or, you can go with a pre made kit from Tandy Leather. Here's a link to their online catalog, specifically their purses and bag kits...

Tandy Leather Kits

If you're wanting to make your own, the only tools you need are: Either an awl, or a stitching chisel; harness needle and waxed linen thread (or similar thread for leather work); dot snaps and setting tools; leather hole punch. All this is available at Tandy Leather.

I tend to make my pouches in three pieces: the front, the back (which includes the flap that folds over to the front for closure) and a belt loop on the back. I use blacksmith leather (sold as "oily skins" at Tandy's site). I sew the belt loop on first, then sew the pouch together inside out. When it's finished, just turn it rightside out. Then add your snaps. (you can do the snaps first, or last, it makes little difference)...

If you're looking for finished pouches, I'd recomend Army surpluss stores. Look for ammo pouches...older ones, or imported ones...sometimes you can find great pouches that way...

Hope that helps out a bit...

--Kai

ps...the "wavy" look you're talking about on those pouches can be done by wet-forming vegetable tanned leather. You could also hand tool, or emboss the leahter to get that effect...but that's not something I'd recomend right off the bat for beginning leatherwork projects...If you do try something like that, go with a 2-3oz tooling leather. It would make a nice pouch, and you can wet-form it easily...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.