main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How about "non-traditional" SW films?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MrFantastic74, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    When the PT movies came out, I had no illusions that the filmmakers would deviate from the "traditional" aspects of the OT. I knew they would have a John Williams score that includes the traditional SW themes we have come to love. I knew that the traditional SW logo would flash onto the screen at the start of each movie with the traditional trumpet blast of the LSO, followed by the text scroll drifting through space. I knew that many of the scenes would be intercut with GL's favourite transitions (the dissolve, the left sweep, the right sweep, the diagonal sweep, etc). And, of course included were the essential "traditional" plot elements and dialogue (e.g. hands being cut off, "I have a bad feeling about this", "Join me and together we can rule the galaxy", an astromech droid saving the day, etc). I'm not the biggest fan of the PT, but I was glad to see all of these traditional elements included in the films. It helped bind the saga together, and it felt like Star Wars.

Another thread is discussing the idea of single stand-alone movies, which I think is a super idea. There's no reason why Star Wars should be limited to the trilogy format. There is so much to explore in the SW universe, and so much rich "history" to uncover.

I have been thinking about another way to revive and refresh the franchise. Make "non-traditional" SW films. Inject some youth and vigour into the franchise by, for instance:

-Using a rock score rather than an orchestra (can you imagine Nine Inch Nails instead of John Williams?);

-Use a new, alternate logo or abandon the use of a logo altogether;

-Replace the text scrawl with a montage of scenes for historical exposition (kind of like what Peter jackson did for LOTR-FOTR), perhaps with a Jedi narrator.

-Make a SW film for the older crowd. A dark film with more mature themes (e.g. spice addiction, slavery, etc.). I'd like to see something with a feeling more akin to Terminator Salvation, or Batman Begins/ The Dark Knight, but set in the SW galaxy.

-Have third parties (not GL) write and direct the films. I like what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek. The franchise was getting tired, and the latest ST film revived the franchise altogether.

I remember reading somewhere that the live action TV show was going to be something like this, but now that the idea is scrapped (or on hold anyway), why not make movies instead?

Mod Edit This discussion would fit nicely into the sequel trilogy ideas or the stand alone movies thread down the page. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.