main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How about some new, truly otherworldly aliens??

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by acroyear7, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    I'm not a prequel hater, but many (not all) of the aliens in those films weren't quite alien enough. I'm sick to death of twi-leks. They are cheap looking aliens with different painted skin and rubbery head 'tentacles'. I don't want Star Wars to be Star Trek with most of the aliens either having something like pointy ears or ridges on their foreheads or a combination of the two. And if there will be more Jedi, can't we have less human Jedis? Is there some unwritten rule that as long as you have hands and can wield a light sabre, you qualify to be a Jedi? How about some sentient aliens that aren't bipedal?

The cantina scene was really stunning back in 1977 because a lot of the aliens really looked weird and inhuman. I'd like to see that creativity again.

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I loved the aliens in the PT, even if they didn't have quite the same feel as the ones created for the OT. But the aesthetics of all of them have blended together in my mind to create a larger view of the SW universe. So basically I'm all for a mix of any type of alien we've seen so far along with some interesting new ones. And FWIW, I'm hoping Andy Serkis is playing one of the latter variety.

Dra---, Ryus, my kind of scum and 3 others like this.
  3. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    I'm sure we'll see some of the 'classic' aliens. But less variety makes the SW galaxy look small.

4. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    Personally I'm pulling for Selkath Serkis.

[​IMG]

"THE KOLTO... IS PRECIOUS TO MEEEE..."

Ryus and my kind of scum like this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I mean no offense to you personally, and this just happens to be the post I'm responding to about something that's been bugging me more and more lately, which is that I'm getting really tired of complaints about the galaxy feeling small. From a totally logical standpoint I can understand it to a degree, but this is a series of movies that need to feel connected to one another. Personally I love seeing aliens and locations that I've seen before in the series, and I couldn't care less how small it makes the galaxy feel. Besides, nobody complains about there being too many humans. I always love seeing new designs as well, but IMO there's nothing inherently wrong with a fair amount of repetition either.

6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I would love to see some non-bipedal, non-humanoid sentient aliens in the ST.

7. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    Hopefully they bring back ROTJ Light-Man!

8. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I think this is overstated, the aliens from the PT and (to this point) the saga in general have a fluid continuity I would hope the ST adheres to and expands upon.

This I agree with. Not so much the less human Jedi aspect per se, because I think there should be plenty of them, but in concert with there being plenty of non-human species as well. One thing I loved about the Jedi Council in the PT was that there were more non-humans on it than there were humans.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  9. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    The most otherworldly alien in cinematic SF would have to be the Solaris planet in Tarkovsky's film of that name. It is so alien that communication between it and human beings is seemingly impossible even as it tries to reflect their psyches back at them. That would not work within the genre conventions of SW though, sadly.

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  10. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Ha- I expected this to be a Yuuzhan Vong thread.

11. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I am fine with new and out-there alien designs, but not so out-there that we have to stop the movie so someone can infodump to the readers about how some species eats/breathes/communicates/reproduces.

If it's done like Plo Koon or the snake-like Clone Wars species -- you can see they're a little "extra different" but no lines have to be spent on it -- then I'm all for it. But no Trek-style exposition, please.

Mystery Roach and Force Smuggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.