How accurate is that Wookipedia timeline for the expanded universe

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by darkchrono, Dec 14, 2011.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. darkchrono Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm interested in learning about the history of the star wars universe but not so interested in reading the thousands of books out there so I just decided to find a timeline and I came to wookipedia. Wow!!!!. Wookipedia goes back a long long ways. It says the galaxy was formed five billion years ago and they have a constant flow of events that have taken place going back ten million years (hopefully no authors decide to write stories that deal with the timeframe inbetween 5 billion BBY and 10 million BBY (or the Star Wars Universe will start getting millions of times bigger than it already is)).

The furthest back I had ever seen it go on any timelines I had seen before was only 25,000 years. So my question is is how accurate is most of that stuff that they have going back some 10 million years? Is a lot of that stuff just points from random stories that may or may not contradict with one another. Or has it all been worked out amongst all the various authors that write these Star Wars books to follow one direct path and to not contradict things that have been written previously and instead just build on Star Wars stories that have already been told.
  2. MarvelStarWars Jedi Padawan

It all depends on what month it is. I remember when Splinter of the Mind's Eye took place OABY...now it's 3ABY I believe....events are always getting shifted...especially where the Clone Wars are involved.
  3. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    My guess is a lot of that 10 million BBY stuff is either fan conjecture or based off of various lines in the EU saying "Oh, the galaxy was formed over 5 billion years ago." So these dates are interpreted literally, like Yoda being exactly 900 at the time of his death, when he could easily have been 913 or something.

Note there are several contradictions on that list and repeats, such as when Naboo was colonized by who, so I'd take some of those dates with a grain of salt.
  4. darkchrono Force Ghost

star 4
    That's what I kind of figured the situation was. The people who made up that timeline (no matter how accurate they were trying to make it) were just going off of particular sentences in particular books that may of mentioned something far in the past. Or they may of just been going off of what their personal feelings about the past were.

In actuality though the 'settings' for the expanded universe books don't go much further back then a couple thousand years do they?
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth