How American is Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by lin_v, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lin_v Jedi Padawan

Hey everyone! Here's something I've been thinking about... how American is Star Wars? Even though it takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, and isn't even filmed in the US, I've still always thought of it as a very American type of movie(s). I don't know why exactly, it's hard to pin-point why. It's probably the epic quality of the films, the battle between good and evil (but on the other hand that's an international thing too I think), the action, and the amazing special effects. Also perhaps the fact that it is such a huge production. What do you guys think? Is Star Wars typically, or very, American?

lin_v
  2. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    Star Wars is very American. Star Wars is fantastic and so is the US.

GO USA!!!... from a very objective observer ;)

--Joey
  3. Veritas Jedi Master

star 4
    I think Star Wars is typically American, dispite the liberal peppering of other nationalities throughout the saga.
  4. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    pssst!!!!
    Its made by americans!
    :p

but lately filmed in Australia! YAY US! :D
  5. Charis Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Just cos you get the better weather ;) Some it was still done in the UK thought :D

It's very American - doesn't matter how many Brits or Aussies Lucas puts in, it's all very American feeling, with British accents.
  6. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    but we get to do all the on set stalking! :D
  7. Az-Azzameen Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Mmm.

What shall I talk about...

The obvious link between the Trade Federation and the 'Yellow Peril' of the emerging Asian nations... :p

The Lando Calrissian - black man is traitor, but comes good storyline... :p

The 'we don't serve their kind here' social commentary... :p

Yup. Dead American... ;)
  8. Lordban Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A world viewed only in black-and-white patterns...
  9. dago-bubba Jedi Knight

star 1
    there is no black and whit only grey in the grand scheme of things

and im a american all be it a mexican american one where all not so dumb as our current president
  10. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    I think that the most obvious reason why SW feels American is simply because we all have the knowledge that it is an American movie. Knowing where the movie comes from seems to instill in us certain expectations about it, thus it would definitely lead us to the conclusion that SW feels American. For instance, even in some Hollywood movies that are set in other countries, you can definitely "feel" it still.
  11. CHRIS_PORTMAN Jedi Padawan

OK! So it's made by Americans but SW is a real fruit of the human imagination! SW belongs to us ALL (respect 4 USA).
    Next time...
    Over & out!
    (N.P. RULZ!)
  12. Tupolov Jedi Master

star 4
    Star Wars was made by an American, so it is American.
  13. Ninee Jedi Master

star 4
    The different nationalities and 'races' thing is also very american.

Maybe we could try to look at how much could SW be european ?
    The political system of the Ancient Republic is also quite influenced by a certain american view of democracy (and especially what is pointed out as democratic failures) , and it's most obviously a gigantic federation, just as the US are.
  14. Linuri Jedi Knight

star 1
    Starwars is an US movie because it has been made in the USA. Sin embargo, Lucas no debería ser norteamericano porque es demasiado inteligente. Tarantino is an american director but his movies are not american at all, they are difficult to understand and that's why people in the USA don't understand them. Lucas se ha plegado a las exigencias del mercado norteamericano para tener éxito en USA.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.