How are things in Binghamton?

Discussion in 'Binghamton, NY' started by strawbary, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Hey all !! How r things progressing in Bingo? I know there have been some working hard on costumes.... any events or meetings in the works? :)
  2. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Things in Binghamton have been DEAD!! I think I'm the only one who checks these boards! I know we've discussed having a meeting, but nothing ever came of it. I would really like to start my own faction here in Binghamton or help out with the current faction. I would really like to see us get together and start to actively recruit. Help you masterful members of the Rochester group. I think we need help!
  3. mrgr8ness Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am in Ithaca, so I am kind of bewteen Binghamton, Syracuse, and Rochester. Currently working 2 jobs right now, plus getting ready for a little one in Auguest. I tore a spare bedroom apart and building from the ground up again. Sigh...my costume progress has dramatically slowed
  4. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I watch these boards too. If there's anything I can do to help you guys out - let me know.

~Doc_Bev
  5. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Thanks Doc Bev. How did you guys start out in Rochester? I know you guys have a solid group out there, and I have a definite passion for Star Wars (just check out my blog and podcast), I just want to find others around here or near here who have the same passion. How do I got about motivating others or finding others that exist? Is it possible to start my own unit out here and how would I go about that?
  6. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm not really sure...
    Since I joined The Rebellion (April 2004) all of SW Fandom was on the upswing getting ready for EIII. So I think that really helped us out a ton.

One of the major strengths Rochester has going for it is a large percentage of Garrison Excelsior lives here. I could sit behind a table with my Rebellion t-shirt all day at a show handing out freebies and putting fliers into people's hands, but nothing draws people to a club table like costumers can.

Also, since my former job before becoming a stay-at-home-mom was event planning - that was my strength that I brought to The Rebellion. I used every opportunity I could find to pass out fliers and business cards about The Rebellion. Giving fliers to local book stores, comic stores, gaming stores, etc helped get the word out too. Be on the lookout for anything going on that could be "exploited": Movie releases, book releases, Free Comic Book day, anything remotely SW related and put fliers at the event.

I'm not sure that it would be possible to start your own unit in Binghamton as there is already a FF chapter in existence. Also, Garrison Excelsior and Echo Base are the 501st & Rebel Legion groups that cover Binghamton. As the CR for a neighboring chapter, I can offer my assistance in planning events and as the PR Officer for Garrison Excelsior, feel free to contact me if you want the 501st to come out for it. :D

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that we have a core group of 8-10 members who are super dedicated. I can't really point a finger on how we all got together - just lucky I guess...

~Doc_Bev
  7. TreborGahKor CR, Binghamton

Chapter Rep
    star 2
    Well, I used to live in Rochester and saw you guys all over the place and got jealous that I never had the guts to come and talk to you all. All well, that's what I get for being shy. I'm going to be in Rochester next weekend by the way. Thanks for the info. Any way I can get in touch with the person "in charge" in Binghamton?

Thanks.
  8. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's too bad we don't have any events scheduled for next weekend while you're here...

The Chapter Rep for Binghamton is Karate-Jedi. Unfortunately, it looks like he hasn't been on the boards in about 4 weeks.

~Doc_Bev
  9. Karate-Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
    I'm here just been realy busy the last couple of months. I am changing jobs and everything is up in the air.

Hi TreborGahKor

You are right things in Bingo are dead. I did a couple of meetings at B & N but nobody turned up for them. And then the other two that were with us moved away so, it just left me. I am still up for a meeting if you are interested. I know I can't do this weekend I have UE graduation that I will be playing at and the VFW parade in binghamton this Saturday. WE are the lead band in that one so I have to be there.

Talk to you soon.

Karate-Jedi
  10. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    Like DocBev Says you're always welcome up here in Rochester , but I know it's a long drive. It's too bad you couldn't make the Comic Show in Syracuse. There is Mighty Mini Con In Utica later this year maybe you guys can make it up for that? I think a bunch of us from Rochester are going to try 7 go to that.

There is also a BPO event that we are participating in with the Buffalo group in Ellicottville (Holiday Valley) this weekend, check out our boards for more information. The more the merrier.
  11. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    you are always welcome to come up in syracuse as well. We dont have too many events as of late we are in the same boat as Bingo, a tad slow. however we always welcome new faces!

12. Jem-Kerr-Lodemi Jedi Knight

star 1
    :D I've passed out this link to a few Star Wars friends of mine.
  13. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Exellent job Jem-Kerr-Lodemi! =D=
    I'm glad you found your way over here and livened up the Binghamton boards a bit.

~Doc_Bev
  14. Jem-Kerr-Lodemi Jedi Knight

star 1
    :D happy to liven things up. I know for a fact I work with two other people taht are as much into SW as I am! Well, I think I am a bit overboard sometimes...but it's all good.;)
  15. jackboot Jedi Knight

star 1
    HI!
    Things are going pretty well now and I am back in the area again (3hrs away) so I would like to start making trips up for the weekend or a day trip to do SW stuff. If anyone is interested in getting together I would love to hang out.
    I work in an acrylics shop so making things out of plastics has become very easy.
    -C

PS: I would love to see this forum liven up but I am not sure how.
    Does anyone have questions about making props or requirements or how hot it is going to get before we explode?
  16. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
  17. jackboot Jedi Knight

star 1

That is tempting but I was going to try out for a fan film cantina scene in NYC that weekend.
    http://boards.theforce.net/new_jersey/b10113/24538526/p1/?1
    I would like to come up for other events later though. :)
  18. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We'd love to see you again jackboot! I'm glad to hear your back in the "area".
    Keep your eye on the Garrison Excelsior calendar to see if there might be something you could make it too. I've been keeping that calendar pretty up-to-date w/ costuming events that I'm aware of. Likewise, there's The Rebellion calendar (which is basically identical but might also include a few non-costume events as well.

~Doc_Bev
  19. Jem-Kerr-Lodemi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oooo I may come if I can?

Still trying to figure costume stuffs....lol.

Pops New Hope DVD in.
  20. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Absolutely!
    You're welcome to attend anything on our calendar (unless it's marked 501st/Rebel Legion only and you're not in either group).

~Doc_Bev
  21. T_StarFlyer Jedi Master

star 4
    Can't she still come & be a groupie!

22. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nope, not if the event is 501st/RL only (of which there are only three on the Excelsior calendar at the moment that currently fit that description). But everything else is open to costumers and non-costumers.

~Doc_Bev
  23. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just wanted to congratulate you guys from turning things around in a few short months. =D=
    From when this thread started to now there is so much more activity and new posts and new events and enthusiasm - it's just so great! [:D]

~Doc_Bev
  24. Karate-Jedi Jedi Master

star 3
  25. Jem-Kerr-Lodemi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Where does one find said calender?? [face_blush]:confused:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.