main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

how are we all so sure that vader is not as powerful as sidious

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by schmintan, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schmintan

schmintan Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    i believe it too, but how, if he once was more powerful than sidious, suddenly become less powerful. i have heard explinations like the loss of body mass means less power, but i dont buy that. look at yoda, he has bugger all body mass compared to any jedi as he is so small yet his power is unnatural. i believe he could stop people from dying, but he believes its un-natural and not right so he doesnt. in the end, vader could kill sidious(albeit crudely) but it shows he had the power to do so. and about vader loosing his agility. why didnt they just patch him up, then build a propper body along the lines of Grevious's body for him. then he would be all powerful and agile. maby the fact that he had nothing to fight for now that padme was dead left him , not less powerful, but with nothing to fight for so he just submitted to sidious. what do you think?

2. yoda-da-pimp8744

yoda-da-pimp8744 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    uh maby its because hes more then half a robot know

3. yoda-da-pimp8744

Apr 29, 2005
    uh maby its because hes more then half a robot
    now

4. schmintan

schmintan Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    but i dont believe that losing body mass affects control over the force so that arguement falls over. he may have much robotic parts , but he is still anakin skywaker, concieved of midichlorians. so he should be as strong as he ever was, unless when padme died he had nothing to fight for and so nothing to focus all his powers on

5. yoda-da-pimp8744

Apr 29, 2005
    i can see your point send a letter to insider ites a good arument

6. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    If Anakin/Vader was so strong even with the robotic appendages and the oxygen suit, then he should have survived the assault on the Emperor but he didn't so that moment is proof why he's less powerful then he was when his body was 100% intact.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Luke Skywalker is not as powerful as the Galactic Emperor, and he survived his lightning. :)

8. schmintan

schmintan Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    anyway, he survived long enough to kill the emperor. what i think is that he had nothing to focus his power on saving after padme died, and so he simply submitted, however when he realises he has a son he has something to live for again and to try to save, and this is how he gets the strength to kill the emperor. he mightnt have died if he didnt take off his mask to look on luke. but he finally realised the difference between good and evil, and brought balance to the force, so his role was complete, therefore he could die peacefully, and he knew that death was not the end as we see him and yoda and obi wan at the end

9. Mapei123

Mapei123 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Vader didn't seem to be any more patient than Anakin. I suppose he just never reached his potential. And his powers seemed to be more physical as Anakin than subtle.

10. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    Actually, GL says Darth Vader is less powerful by losing limbs because he has less midi-chlorians in his body. GL also says Vader is less than half of what he could have been and only 80%. of the emporer. I don't don't if you believe everything GL says or not, but GL is sure that DV isn't as powerful as the emporer.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Vader's far more patient than Anakin. He's willing to set traps for Luke and go on wild goose chases to do that. He's willing to be patient and slowly bring Luke to the Dark Side.

As for the midichlorian angle and bodymass, that's bunk. Lucas may say so, but he'd contradict one of his own important thematic elements. "Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter."

I'll accept that the suit made Vader more vulnerable to Palpatine, but I will never accept George Lucas dumbing down his own mythology. Sorry, but he's not going to get away with explaining slower (and better) sword fighting by dumbing-down his story.

12. Koosla

Koosla Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    Maybe Vader was still very powerful about the time he became Vader (I mean, helmet and all), or at least he might have been after fully recovering and learning to be in his new half-robotic nature.

But in time, and with less and less direct threats to him (because of the almost complete Jedi extintion), I guess he would have become soft and rely more on just his terrific appearance and some occasional force choking to impose on others.

Anyway, and after seeing III, I'm not at all convinced that Grievous is a good example of how a cyborg can be as powerful as a fully organic creature or even more; indeed, he looked relatively weak to me, lighsaber-centrifugation techniques aside.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I can go with Vader losing much of his body diminishing him. Even if 'we are luminous beings', we are still trapped in physical bodies and must deal with its limitations.
    Vader is still very powerful, and also very intelligent. Had Luke never existed I think he would have eventually overthrown Palpatine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.