main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive How are we doing?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Jun 4, 2005.

?

How are we doing?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2005.
  1. The RPF is excellent, no complaints

51 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. I like it a lot here but there are one or two things that could be improved

38 vote(s)
    36.9%
  3. It’s decent but not great. I’d like to see many changes

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. This forum is crap, NP, get your act together

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don’t post here enough to have a firm opinion, or I am new to the RPF

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I'm gonna go with the second option.

The editing time thing is kinda annoying and the color scheme is kinda drab.

Besides those nitpicks its a great forum that I really enjoy posting in.

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    *Smiles*

#1 of Course, all hail the RPF!

I agree with Zaarin, we're in a golden age. Your response time is excellent NP, games are run in a quality manner, and this by far has to be the most peaceful board in the JC.

The only complaint is that I want more RPGs! :p ;)

Bravo to all! =D=

3. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

Keep up the good work, NP, and also everyone participating in the RP's around here.

4. Darth_Vorath

Darth_Vorath Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Should make this a sticky ;-; or it's going to get lost ;-;

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    The RPF is doing great but there are a couple things that bug me and need improvement on, but they arent things that really cant be improved on without stepping on toes too much. :(

One gets sick and tired of all the new RPGs popping up and then the GM just up and leaving us for no reason other than "I got bored" or "I found something else interesting" and so on.

6. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Consider the alternative: Making it so only moderators can create topics. That may be interesting, but it sounds a bit Imperial... and a pain in the heiny for the mods. But there needs to be something done for the things that just appear and disappear. Like an auto-boot for locked topics or something, that pushes them back a few pages, if that's at all possible.

Another minor concern is people disappearing unexpectedly. It's fine if you've got to go and do something, just pop in a message here and there to explain that you'll be gone for a timeframe. Otherwise the GM has to figure out how long to wait, whether to NPC, or murder, or whatever.

7. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I like it a lot here but there are one or two things that could be improved (19 votes).

While the RPF is a great forum, and I see little wrong with it, I do have a complaint similair to Mitth's.

Not so much a complaint as a suggestion. Recently, I have noticed a huge influx in newbies posting RPGs. I'll admit, some are good, but most lack anything concrete and merely take up space. I'd give examples, but I'm not here to offend anyone. I believe we should set into motion a rule that will only allow a user to post an RPG if they have a certain number of posts, or have been a posting member in the RPF for a certain amount of time. Nothing extreme, but something to limit things.
    For instance, someone signing up and posting an RPG of all the good guys versus all the bad guys from all the Star Wars movies and EU. Sure, sounds like fun...but how long will it last?

I know the quality of an RPG isn't based on the time in which someone joins, but like I said...I think we need some guidelines, or rules. Something of the sort to keep new games that will go nowhere from popping up every other day.

This is just my two cents.

~Vassago

8. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I think your doing superbly.

9. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    I disagree with Mitth and Vassago...

The bad games weed themselves out, as no one joins. Thats the beauty of the RPF. Its survival of the fittest. Lets the newbs post I say. The quality ones will get players. The horrible ones will drop to page 3 in a day. Sure the top page gets cluttered a bit, but its a small price to pay to keep a player influx.

10. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Thats the beauty of the RPF. Its survival of the fittest. Lets the newbs post I say. The quality ones will get players.

That's true. How are the newbies gonna learn properly? :p I had numerous RP's fail within the first few pages. Now I've come up with a surprisingly successful RP "series". (Started out with one...then made sequels.) That's how you become a good RPer, or GM. After all, practice makes perfect. ;)

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Im not complaining about the new RPGs or player interest in the games. Its the GMs of those games who have successful games and a good interest but the GMs just up and vanish with no reason why or just get up and leave because they got bored with their game. If you are going to start a game and it gets going, stick to it or dont start one at all.

12. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I love what you're doing, Marah, but I went with number two only because I think that improvements are always possible and even though the RPF is fantastic, I know it will only get better.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You can't force quality into GMs. Either they're good or they're not. ;)

14. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Option #2 for me as well, mostly for the reasons directly above. Thought it's not really anything that can be changed. :p That problem lies with (some of) the people, not the modding.

15. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    No complaints here on the part of the mods. Thumbs up.

Edit- There's not much a mod can do to make players and GMs do better unless you want to threaten banning them or locking topics or something like that which would make the mods more like Commisairs from warhammer 40k. Kudos to NP. ;)

16. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Just love it, though I'd get a new boardskin. Its to.. greenishgrayish. What happend to all the funny colours of the rainbow?

17. Mukiruh

Mukiruh Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    OOC:

I am new here, but i really like the Roleplaying and minimal OOCs that occur.
    The only thing that i find troubling is the limited time for edits >.<

18. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    I said number 2.

Im not complaining about the new RPGs or player interest in the games. Its the GMs of those games who have successful games and a good interest but the GMs just up and vanish with no reason why or just get up and leave because they got bored with their game. If you are going to start a game and it gets going, stick to it or dont start one at all.

There isn't really a way to tell who is going to do that and who is going to stay with their RPG though...

So how could we improve that?

19. WISE_JEDI12

WISE_JEDI12 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2005
    I choose #2 because I dont like the closed RPG's which accept only "High Quality Roleplayers." I dont like them because they prevent people who are new to roleplaying, such as myself from participating with Vets. This is bad because in my opinion when I play with Vets it raises the standard on which I roleplay, if im stuck playing RPG's with a lot of noobs like myself and few Vets I'll never improve. Besides that great job NP I really enjoy playing here.

20. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Most of my time on-line is actually spent in this RPF. :p

21. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    It's either this or webdesign for me :p

(And this keeps me more occupied)

22. jedi_killeroak

jedi_killeroak Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2005
    I know that I am still a little new, but I have noticed that there are RPG's, that are going no where. As in, there has been no replies for a long while, (by looking at the dates.) What I mean by that, it has been over at least two weeks since the last. Other than that, it has been a great place!

23. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I have'nt been hear long but I tend to get on for hours at a time and really enjoy my time hear. As I am new I am still getting use to being a different person. This is a really great place I hope it just gets better!

24. Sketkh

Sketkh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 22, 2002
    I'm having difficulty getting people to join and fully particpate in my RPG, not so much your problem, I'd just be curious if there was a place I could meet people and help advertise my RPG...

25. Darth_Luinel_Kun

Darth_Luinel_Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    I beleive not many people know how to use the RPG Forums. Also, there is a load of spamage. I hope I will not cause you NP too do much more work. I try to help the N00bs but some are just trying to get alot of post and not writting good replies. How can we fix this problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.