main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How are we supposed to view Obi-Wan and Yoda in the CT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by skgai1, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skgai1

skgai1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    How, as an audience, are we supposed to view Obi-Wan and Yoda in Episodes IV, V and VI? Obviously after ANH everyone loves Obi-Wan. They think's he's amazing, but was that how Obi-Wan really was. Or was that just how was perceived? Is Yoda an all-knowing figure and should Luke have hinged on his every word. To be honest, after watching the CT as a kid and teenager I thought that Obi-Wan and Yoda weren't exactly right all the time, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now after having watched the PT I've been able to come up with the answers, but I think it's still debatable. I thought I'd pull a few comments from several differnt topics to get us going:

If Cryogenic's symbiont circle theory is correct, and I believe it is, than Obi and Yoda can't be all-knowing and completly wise can they?

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think that we're supposed to view them as Jedi who have adjusted moved beyond the flaws of the Old Order(due in large part to their embracing Qui-Gon's instruction and achieving what was necessary to become a Force Ghost and transcend 'this crude matter.') They're still not perfect because after all they're still human and frog-thing, but they're while not all-knowing certainly supposed to be wise and good mentors, who succeeded with Luke where they failed with Anakin.

I think it's something that has changed over time as before the Prequels I think we were supposed to basically see Obi-Wan as one sees Gandalf and Yoda as the prototypical wrinkled old wise man(especially since had Lucas not decided to kill Obi-Wan in ANH, there would have been no need for Yoda, so the similarities between their roles in the story of the CT is largely due to that.) Yoda also exemplifies Ben's earlier quote "Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them." given that back in '80, your first impression of Yoda is that of a crazy and primitive alien, not a wise and humble Jedi Master.

So the substance of Yoda and Ben is the same, but I think in light of the Prequels Lucas intends them to be improved from their pasts, whereas I don't think that was intended back in the 70's/80's.

3. Eggrert

Eggrert Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2005
    The discrepencies b/n what we're shown in the two trilogies always bothered me, but now I think it can be explained by saying that much of the "change" has to do with the destruction of the corrupt, restrictive Jedi order. Without worrying about politics, and with twenty years to meditate, train, and communicate with Qui-Gon, Yoda and Obi-Wan are bound to improve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.