main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How are your Book/Comic collections organized?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How do you guys organize your collections of books and comics?
    Chronological order? Publication order? Alphabetical by author? Alphabetical by title? etc.
    Currently I have my paperbacks, hardbacks, YA books, comic TPB and Omnibuses organized by chronology in those separate groups. I would love to get a giant bookcase and combine everything but that will have to wait.
    Also depending on how the ST EU effects everything I might make the whole thing publication order.
    So how do you organize your collection?

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Descending size, then chronological. Publication order would be interesting to see; never considered that. I had a photo thread for this once.

Edit: boom. Pics don't really work anymore, alas.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Organised?

[face_laugh]

anakinfansince1983 and krtmd like this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    By Publisher and then Era

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    My stuff isn't really very organized. I have all of my Tolkien and Harry Potter books, and selected Star Wars novels, the film novelizations and some PT books, lined up on the back of my desk. All of my other Star Wars novels and comics, the Conqueror's Trilogy, Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, Halo: Evolutions, and the BattleTech: The Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy are in various stacks on the desk. My bookshelf is a falling apart, it really needs to be replaced, preferably with something bigger, since it currently contains all of the Harvard Classics with a host of other books on top. When I finally get a better proper bookshelf, everything will be sorted chronologically.

6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Yeah, I'm with Ulicus. Not to mention, I share my bookshelves with one husband and three kids - what a mess. I've gone almost exclusively ebook for the EU, so at least my iPad is organized.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Chronologically.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Chronological.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Books and comics are chronological, but seperately, bar the comics I consider the most important. Guides are chronological, determined by the latest entry within them. Though Firefly is obviously set in 49 ABY so it goes there.

10. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    Mine is spread over many shelves (I have an actual library room/spare bedroom.....thanks wifey). I arrange things in chronological/size order, so all the paperbacks over 6 shelves, 2 for comics & tpbs, 2 for young adults, 1 for hardbacks. My guides & other random types are then in descending size order only

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The best I can say is that all my print copies of Star Wars material is on one shelf in my living room, except for the Essential Atlas, which is here in my dining room/office next to my desktop as I was using it for reference one night and never put it back. :p Fiction is on one side and nonfiction (a biography of George Lucas, a book on the making of AOTC) is on the other side along with old Insiders, a couple of movie scripts and a few other magazines that I've kept.

12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I group my books by series. I only have 1 hardback(The New Rebellion) and it dosen't fit on my bookshelf so it's in a storage box with other star wars books becasue I've run out of space on my bookshelf. Handily though I only need a few more Bantam books and I can get the others on my Kindle.

13. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh, and I have my "Making of TESB" on our coffee table. It's definitely a coffee table book.

14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Forgot to mention my Ultimate Visual Guide and Year By Year A Visual Chronicle books are next to my bookshelf and I have the Episode 1 Visual dictionary and Clone Wars Visual guide on a shelf in a wardrobe. My Prequel trilogy collectors annual is on a shelf under a computer monitor.

15. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Every book is first organized by series, and then in terms of the individual series by the chronological order the novel takes place in the timeline. At the moment my books are starting to overflow off of my bookshelf lol I plan to get a replacement within the next few years though. For now, I put as many as I can on the shelf, even if it requires me to place one book in front of another.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I have mine chronological, but I also have them separated into paperback and hardback.

17. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Descending size, then alphabetical by title...

18. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I have them organized first by series/title, then by date released (oldest to newest).

I always put the TPB in the back of that grouping, then organize them by release date as well.

19. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I have them in chronological order, but I've separated the books from the comics.

20. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Comics--I try to keep them organized by company and publication date, but I do keep the three Marvel annuals at the back of the collection. In a box.
    TPB/Omnibuses--Organized by publication date. In a box.
    RPG sourcebooks--Roughly organized by chronological order. WEG and WOTC mixed together. In a box.
    SWAG--Organized by publication date. In a box.
    Essential guides/blueprints/cross-sections/visual dictionaries/inside the/owner's manual--Grouped together, with no rhyme or reason. In a box.
    Novels--Grouped--both paperback and hardcover-- according to my judgment as to whether they are "good", "so-so", or "junk". Each has their own box, and as to the last category, I'm going to need a bigger box.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah this. The majority of my comics collection is digital, so I keep the few physical ones I have separate. And since I have so few hardcovers, I put them and my comics together.

I keep most of my Essential Guides together, except the Atlas and the ERC since they're sized differently. I keep my Star Wars: Art books separate as well, and then I have various random books sprinkled throughout three different shelves.

Oh and just for fun, I once rearranged the books into publication order. I didn't like the feel of it and do didn't keep it that way, though it was kinda cool seeing them in that order.

22. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Chronological with novels and comics together. The shelves are too full and I've had to take some off like most of the x-wing books and all three Tales books.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Comics are all separate with other comics. Star Wars RPG stuff on one bookcase shelf (with Paranoia) and another shelf with SW hardcovers in chronological order; almost a entire other bookcase with SW reference books on the bottom and SW paperbacks on the top, with Call of Cthulhu in between. Jedi Path and Sith holocron on the top of the shelf.

I try to organize with some semblance of order, but sometimes I have to bow to the whims of necessity and space...

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Here's a picture of my collection from the last year or so:

[​IMG]

25. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Chronological for me, though lately I mostly only display EU works that I feel are particularly significant/I'm particularly attached to, mostly as a matter of shelf space:).