main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC How autistic are you?

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Jul 17, 2014.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I self-diagnosed myself with selfdiagnositis. It's running rampant across the internets. It's heavily contagious.

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    guys I watched house last night and I'm PRETTY SURE I HAVE LUPUS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I webmd'd my symptoms this week and got "cocaine withdrawal" as a result. :(

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Moviefan2k4 autism is classified as a developmental disorder, like mental retardation. i dont know if a head injury can cause it, i guess its possible, (thought ive never heard of it, but im hardly an expert), but the vast majority of cases are developmental

calvinism is the worst

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    BUT IT'S NEVER LUPUS

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    See, and this is what I hear most from people who have actually been diagnosed professionally. The vast majority of legit autistic people I've known don't advertise it or use it as an excuse for bizarre behavior. Most are more 'normal' than a lot of 'normal' people. This is why I'm suspicious of people who research autism online and cite symptoms--who the **** are they trying to convince?

7. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I was referring to the effects of a head injury being similar to autism; one of my aunts has had the mind of a child all her life, due to being in a car crash as an infant.

Interesting; I'll check it out to see what context he's coming from. Thanks.

8. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Well I've never seen Autism played as a get out of jail free card on the net but I'm sure it probably happens. Ironically, I would say that communication on the net is when Autistic people should sound at their most normal what with there being no facial expressions or body language to try and judge, no pressure to reply immediately, ample time to construct a response and the knowledge that you can edit what you've said if you made a mistake. Maybe that's just me.

Well ok. But that's not precisely what you said. You said that certain types of autism can be caused by head injuries, not that head injuries can give people autistic traits. You've got to be careful with how you present things.

Please do. It's a pretty good paper.

9. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    You pretty much described my Internet communication style perfectly. Its only in the last couple of years that I've started making webcam videos on YouTube; before that, I mainly stayed in text form. I do have Skype, but most of my friends are rarely on it. :(

Whenever I type up a paragraph, I usually review it to see if my intent is coming across. I also try to use different words, so I don't strictly repeat myself. Very often, I've been known by family to stop in the middle of a conversation, because I can't remember a specific term. They start offering synonyms, but none match my intent. After a few minutes, I usually give up, only to suddenly recall what I was originally thinking sometime later. It drives them nuts, and to be honest, I'm often very confused by it, too.

I had to re-read certain paragraphs because of the complex terminology, but it seems that paper is largely about clinical matters and government assistance, not the various differences which exist between AS and autism. If the former's indeed a variety of the latter, that's fine, but keep the name intact. I generally despise suffering people being forced under the same umbrella, because society doesn't know what to do with them.

10. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    For anyone who's interested, here's the video I made last year, shortly after my diagnosis...

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Moviefan2k4, maybe I missed it, but I don't think you've ever quite answered why you haven't sought a second opinion. If you haven't, what prevents you from doing so?

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Pretty sure he now has you on ignore just like 90% of the JCC.

Sith-Lord-Gunray and Ender Sai like this.
  14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    ITT: people still surprised that moviefan doesn't answer questions

15. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I just don't see the point. My original diagnosis was the result of an exhausting evaluation, which included all kinds of tests both verbal and written. When I finally got the results, the doctor wouldn't let me have a copy of my file, and the only solution presented to me was behavioral therapy so I could "hide it" around others. Well, I'm sick of hiding; I've spent most of my life trying to make sure others could put up with me, only for chaos to keep happening. I want to be accepted as I am, no more arbitrary demands for me to change because others are bothered when I haven't done anything to cause it.

For the umpteenth time, I have less than ten people blocked.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why block them at all? Seriously why? I don't get it. Just because their opinions differ from yours, and you can't handle their sarcasm and snark? Get over yourself.

17. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Internets, the block feature exists. How people decide to use it really doesn't matter. I don't know why you're getting so worked up about it.

hang loose, bruh.

18. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I block those who are consistently malicious, repeatedly slandering me or my beliefs. Its not a matter of pride, but the mere fact that I've reached my limit with some folks' attitude. I still enjoy being a member of the boards though, hence my use of the Ignore list.

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Ender Sai

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's not so you can hide it... and I don't know why you put that in quotes--I seriously doubt that's what you were told. The purpose is to help you to have a better quality of life. But hey, if reading about aspergers on the internet and using it to get sympathy is a better alternative, to you, than strengthening yourself and having a better quality of life, then that's your deal.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time, here... this is utterly pointless.

21. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Yeah, it's not about "hiding it", it's to make your interactions with society easier. If you work on stuff, it gets easier. Those awful conversations you have with your family where you just stop talking and sideline the entire thing because you can't think of exactly the right word? That's annoying and destroys the entire conversation. You're selfishly comandeering everyone's attention as they try to help you find *precisely* the right word to say what you mean(this is why we have synonyms in the first place). If you "hid it" and just moved on, this would make everyone more comfortable. That's generally how society works; you try to accomodate the other people in it.

TBH, I think you're just horribly selfish.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    *ignore*

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Pretty sure this is Vin's most successful troll thread, yet. :p

vin and DarthTunick like this.
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Given the longevity of his time here, I'm certain there's other great ones too, obviously. :p

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    And future ones too.