main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC How autistic are you?

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Just going with the general flow, Ramza; didn't intentionally derail anything.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know about autism spectrum disorders in particular, but the DSM can be pretty ****ing broad.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's cool, that was a general directive.

4. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Yep, and they removed AS from the new list, which angered a lot of people.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i wasnt either. the whole problem with inbreeding, which results in the problematic phenotypes, (observable, physiological effects), commonly associated with inbreeding in the public mind, is one of too much "purity" - ie a lack of genetic diversity

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    aaaaahahhahaahahhahahahaha

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I disagree with that; there's tons of differences among people now, in every nation around the world. The defects are mostly limited to genes of close relatives being combined, like siblings or first cousins. Biblically, we're all related anyway, but the closer the match, the more likely a defect will occur.

8. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    He's stating a fact, and you're disagreeing? How?

9. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I don't understand your question.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

okay yes there is genetic diversity in the global population. that's not what im saying. im saying what causes problems in inbreeding is when people closely related to each other produce offspring, their genetic inheritance is too similar (pure) and this leads to phynotypic problems. hence, "purity" is not a good thing to have in genetics

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I feel like everyone with 10 or less should form an elite club.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Where's the Ignore This God button, again?

Edit: Missed the directive from on high. Sorry!

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Shouldn't have used the Ignore this Mod feature.

jp-30 likes this.
  14. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Well, we're using separate definitions of the word "purity", in this case.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Supreme Being. Perfect cells.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Rogue Number Ten, I'm not sure how well that argument actually works. Genetic "purity" relative to a given ethnicity or even a particular family would probably mean a genotype that includes/expresses the dominant allelic patterns within that group of individuals. So, for instance even areas with very high endemic rates of sickle cell anemia, the "purest" possible genotype would be someone that only carries the trait, with both those who are trait negative and people who have sickle cell disease being equally "impure." I guess what you could say is that attempts to maintain purity are likely to lead to bad consequences, but the "purity" itself can't really be construed as such.

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I bet inbreeding caused moviefan's autism.

Zapdos likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    so far as im aware, the only time "purity" is used as a term in modern biology to refer to genetics is in terms of the introduction of new genetic information to a line. the lack introduction of new genetic information is precisely why inbreeding is dangerous

but lets not lose sight of the point, which is that Moviefan2k4 has no working understanding of genetics and should stfu

19. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Asperger's Syndrome is a developmental change that takes place in the womb, giving approximately 3 of every 1,000 people a different "mental map" than the rest. This causes us to view the world very differently, and can hinder our ability to comprehend or communicate properly in social situations. A common complaint I've both experienced and read about is those with A.S. being unable to make people understand their intent. We often have very high IQs and extensive vocabularies, but there's a disconnection on a more basic communication level.

20. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I'd say its because some genes are too damaged after centuries of decay, for close relatives to produce healthy children.

Actually, I understand some of the basics just fine; its the complicated medical terms which often confuse me.

21. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    like for instance how you didn't understand that vin was making a joke

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i beg to differ. here's why:

this statement indicates a fundamental lack of understanding of the basis of genetic inheritence. the bit about genes being "damaged after centuries of decay" is nonsensical. the problem with inbreeding has nothing to do with "decay". it has to do with the lack of diversity between the two parent organisms.

all organisms carry at least some genes that code for deleterious phenotypic outcomes, even when they do not exhibit those traits themselves. when you breed two close relatives, you are greatly decreasing the diversity of alleles inherited and, thereby, greatly increasing the chance of two deleterious but recessive alleles at the same loci, leading to a higher frequency of genetic disorders in the inheriting organism

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That doesn't sound like something he'd say... like, at all. You've got to have him confused with somebody else.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I guess I'm not familiar with "purity" being a useful term at all within genetics in the first place. There are specific terms for whatever is trying to be described: founder effect, selective inbreeding, etc. I don't see why there's any reason one would revert to a term that has such a non-specific and uncertain meaning. My approach was therefore trying to come up with the closest equivalent to the lay usage of the term--which is probably most appropriate anyway, since Moviefan admits he was speaking as a layman. This would yield a definition centered on stable allelic frequencies, and would therefore seem to reduce to something like Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium.

EDIT: Moviefan2k4, Even has never said anything so violent or cruel about anyone. I can say with certainty that you must have confused him with someone else. He doesn't even joke like that.

25. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    That has more to do with the text form of message boards than anything else, in my opinion.