main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How big of a role will the original cast have

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by mglover92, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Seconded. Picking popular actors is fine, just don't pick the flavor of the month.

About the OP, I'd have to say I want to see the OT characters in background roles to prevent them from stealing the show.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Agreed. I dont want another case of actors being chosen because they are popular *I'm thinking of a certain actor but I'm not gunna throw his name out but we all know who he is*. Hopefully we get some real, new talent rather than "Oh look its whats his name" actors

3. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I would say about this [:D] big.....

-C

4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I reckon they'll have a "3 bears" part.

Not too big, not too small, just right.

5. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    I am unsure as to how big a role the original cast will have.
    :)

6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    It seems possible that many will die in the first act. The stakes need to be raised and it doesn't get much bigger than witnessing some of our favorite characters fall at the hands of a new villain (or group of villains) to realize how dangerous this new threat really is. They're going to want to start with a bang so I expect an epic and heart-wrenching action sequence early on.

Luke and Leia are unique in that they could still appear as force ghosts later on to guide the next generation.

I expect many similarities between Luke and Obi Wan right down to the potential of Luke "sacrificing" himself in order to push the new protagonist forward in her quest. I expect Leia will contact her daughter as well at some point via the force but they'll save that for full emotional effect near the end.

I don't expect them to go as far as have Luke in a saber battle against the main villain but I could imagine him staying back to ensure that the new female protagonist boards a ship to safety while she is left to believe that Uncle Luke was killed.

It seems likely that Luke will have an Obi Wan role throughout. Sorry for any spelling mistakes in this post. I'm writing from my phone while on lunch.

BountyHunter76 likes this.
  7. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Agreed on most of your points. I'm also thinking that at least two of the OT characters might die in the first film (or peraps even more). If, as a lot of us are thinking, the younger-generation characters are the main leads, then the older-generation characters actually get in the way after awhile. Note that most myth-based stories feature a main character who is an orphan (or becomes one in the first act).

Assuming Lando and Chewie come back, that's five older-generation characters that ultimately distract from the new, younger leads. Six, if Luke has a living wife.

The SW films also have a long history of killing off parental figures once their main function in the story is over: Owen and Beru, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Qui-Gon, and of course Padme. Somebody in the OT cast -- maybe several somebodies -- is going to buy the farm in Ep 7, and I don't mean purchasing the old Lars homestead.

8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think the original cast will have a large role in the sense of importance. Luke will be as important and as big a role as Obi in ANH, perhaps with a little more screen time. Leia and Solo will have bigger roles that Owen and Beru, but I'm not sure what I expect them to do just yet.

I dont like the idea of killing everyone off. The characters that die in Star Wars die becasue they have to in order to move the story forward. The heroes are different in that respect. Killing off everyone from the original cast would feel too much like they just did it so they didnt have to have them around for the next movies. I think its quite possible to write Leia and Han out after Ep VII, although I do think its likely Han will die.

9. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    I don't think Han and Leias role will be that big probably die in the first movie but Lukes role should be huge though maybe big as Obi Wans role in episodes 1-3.

10. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Remember that season of 24 when President Palmer was shot, and Tony Almeida and Michelle Dessler were in an explosion all within the first fifteen minutes? I wonder if we go that route? Though, I would like to see Luke have a considerably large role throughout the ST.

11. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I hate the idea of the Big 3 appearing just to be killed off for shock value.

12. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    they could all have major roles, as long as they slowly phase them out as the new "stars" get known. They could all be killed off before Episode 7 ends and we will can still have Luke as a force ghost through Episode 9 and beyond

13. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    I see them as starring / pivotal roles to the story that doesn't necessarily revolve around them. The story should be about the newer generation(s).

Thematically, they could potentially kill off somebody big in Episode VII, but I would save any of those until Episode VIII. This would setup IX to be the triumph of the new heroes.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I want the movies to equally involve both old and new gens. I think this would make for an interesting story for fans old as well as the new who will relate to these young characters. They better not turn this into a first generation Star Trek event, where some kids found boring and therefore uninterested because of the characters' old ages.

And I'm hoping to see several kids in this, not just one or two. If there are only two, please, be the twins Jacen and Jaina. Luke I can see without one, but I'd rather see him with at least one

15. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I think Luke will be a main character - Like Qui Gon, but for more than one episode... Han and Leah will also have major supporting roles.... I'm not buying the cameo or killing off scenario's.... they will be part of these films in material ways....

16. mglover92

mglover92 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I also agree. I think Luke will be a main character...i doubt the original cast is going to die off early...

17. Stillsberry

Stillsberry Jedi Knight

Apr 5, 2007