main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How big of roles do you want C-3P0 and R2-D2 to have in the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Fruit Pastilles, Mar 21, 2015.

?

How big of roles do you want C-3P0 and R2-D2 to have in the sequel trilogy?

1. Large roles, similar to the originals'.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Medium-size roles, greater than the prequels' but smaller than the originals'.

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Small roles, similar to the prequels'.

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Star Wars: Episode VIII- More Torch passing!

2. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    ... it isn't Star Wars without R2-D2 and 3PO. They practically tie all 6 movies together.

Although, since it has been 30 years, I suppose it would be a good question to ask why they haven't yet become rusty or just plain antiquated . Since The Phantom Menace when R2-D2 and 3PO first meet, it would be around 60 years between "The Phantom Menace" and "The Force Awakens" so 3PO and R2-D2 would probably compare to the telegraph or analog phones.

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The thing about Star Wars is that technology seems to have pretty much stagnated (with limitations/evolution really only coming when our real-world technology changes or as a way to reflect the status of the Star Wars universe; ie the elegant look of the prequels during the old Republic era and the much more clunky and industrialized militaristic tech during the Empire's rule). It's not far fetched at all to see R2 and 3PO and other Astromech and Protocol droids in TFA,

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want R2 and 3PO in every Star Wars movie, because as you all have said, it's not a Star Wars movie without them, and without R2 saving 3PO's ass at least once.

I'm hoping BB-8 gets brought into their banter.

That said...medium-sized roles because 3PO is annoying if he's used too much.

The Bops, EHT, Dewback and 2 others like this.
  5. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    As long as R2 is in his usual role as the real hero of the saga, and Han tells Threepio to shut up once or twice, I'll be satisfied.

6. Darth Azerous

Darth Azerous Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2015
    I kinda want the older characters to have smaller roles, give the spotlight to new characters.

Alienware and B99 like this.
  7. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I get the passing of the torch thing, and welcome it, but as Son of a Bith pointed out, never forget that R2 is the prime driver of the saga. He doesn't need a lot of screentime, but he better save the day at least once.

JJ seems to really get SW, and I can't imagine that R2 won't be a part of at least one major plot point. BB-8 will be cool, but let's remember who carried the Death Star plans, repaired the queen's ship, smuggled a lightsaber onto the sail barge, found Leia on the Death Star, and fixed the hyperdrive on the Falcon etc. etc.

Give the droid his due.

8. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I am curious to see how he will get along with BB-8:D

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Droid rivalry! :D

10. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Those of us at Celebration got a pretty good preview of BB's personality and chemistry with the others. I'll refrain from talking about it here though.

11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Im down for small roles.. ! Even though I love them both..
    Just happy to see them on screen again!

12. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    Medium-sized roles, They've never been the main characters, the Skywalkers have.

(Though I once had a film teacher who argued that Artoo was the main protagonist in ANH because he'd "chosen" to show Luke the hologram of Leia instead of taking it straight to Obi-wan.)

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Your film teacher obviously didn't know what a protagonist is o_O

14. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    She really didn't.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Any minute spent on these droids is a minute less screentime for the Big Three.

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd say it's pretty likely Artoo and Threepio will still hang around the Big Three though ;)

17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't want to see them in tiny cameos, such that there's really no point them being there at all.

18. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I think it'd be funny if everyone thinks that BB-8 is amazingly awesome and everyone thinks he's a super effective robot. r2d2 would be jealous, and try to fry bb-8 when no one else is looking.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've thought about this as well. I am actually looking forward to some "droid rivalry" between those two. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that might end up being one of the main bits of comedy relief for the film. Should not be overdone of course, but we haven't seen a fun droid we can love in SW since R2 and Threepio.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  20. Skywalkin'

Skywalkin' Jedi Master

May 23, 2013
    I'd like their appearances to be short and sweet. They hold so much nostalgia for me, but both in general and 3PO in particular can get irritating.

I'm definitely down for this!

21. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    One thing to keep in mind is that GFFA has had protocol and mech droids for possibly 1000's of years.

Think about how cars looked in the 1890's and then how they looked in the 1920's. Big changes. Then big changes again from the 1920's to the 1950's. Sure big changes.

But then if you look at cars from 1980's to cars from 2010's the changes are not as huge as the 30 years from the 20's to the 50's.

Now imagine cars made in 500 years from now, and how much could they possibly change after 60 years. My guess is not that much.

I know it's hard to imagine because the industrial revolution really only kicked off in the last couple of centuries. But, if we survive, in 1000 years things will probably slow down in some sectors.

Another example are toasters.

Look at toasters from the 1920s and 1940 and look at toasters today. They have not changed dramatically. Even looking at toasters from 1970s you will see they are pretty much the same as toasters today. Some additional features now but still pretty much the same. I expect toasters in the late 2060's will still look very similar to toasters today. Maybe it will be more energy efficient and be self aware....

Think of other machines that have stayed almost the same since they were invented. Refrigerators, Stove, water-heaters, air-conditioning units, etc.

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Artoo is the most important Being in the Galaxy.
    My theory, easily disproved, is that he contains the Life Force of the Most Ancient Original Jedi (Im sure i am contradicting a Legend here) which moves along to a new body as needed.

Right now it is within Artoo, subtly directing events unnoticed.
    My personal fan fiction.

In episode 9, as a terminally short circuited Artoo smolders, that Force will seep out and float into BB-8. And the Protector of the Galaxy will continue his secret task.

23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Don't tell me...

The force will coalescence into the shape of...
    ... some flanneled bearded guy...

[face_laugh]

24. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I voted for small roles and I think that's most likely what we're gonna get.
    TFA sorta has a lot to do... Settle you in with the new protagonists, introduce you to the new villains, catch you up with L/H/L, lay down the conflict, etc... R2 and Threepio ARE technically apart of the "Big Three" but you get what I'm saying. I'm sure we'll get a funny moment when BB-8 meets them but I'm not expecting much else.

25. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    If they write the funniest C-3PO joke ever, like one that I'll actually laugh out loud at, I'll have a new favorite Star Wars.

(lol, obviously an overstatement but still.)