main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How big should the post-ROTJ Jedi Order Be?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 27, 2015.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If a new Jedi Order is formed in the new canon, how big generally speaking should it become?

2. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    After today's new trailer, I honestly hope DelRiego turns out to be [more or less] correct, and them be getting away from the whole "midichlorians, midichlorians everywhere!" feel that the PT gave off, and move back to a much more mystical, unexplained phenomena that accounts for it having taken decades for any Force-sensitives to show signs.

I mean, if I want to watch an order of Jedi on the big screen, I can put in any of the PT episodes, and if I want a lone hero, I can watch the OT again, so I want to experience something different from the ST, and watching the re-emergence of the Force reawakening is something I want to experience on screen.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  4. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Considering the state of the galaxy in TFA, I would say that it should be fairly small. Building up a massive PT-style Jedi Order while the galaxy is constantly weaving in and out of war may not be the best idea.

Jedi Daniel and Zorrixor like this.
  5. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Those are two extremes though. It shouldn't be just like the OT where there are almost no Jedi, but it also should not be a PT style Jedi Order. I thibk it's unreasonable for Luke to have trained no Jedi by the time of the ST. There should be some, no more than 100 though. They should also be organized differently than the PT because that would be too repetitive and wouldn't make much sense in universe. But I want some progression within the saga. Not the Jedi get wiped out and then there is never an effort to rebuild them.

my kind of scum and DurararaFTW like this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004

Maybe 2

Zorrixor likes this.
  7. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    A lot.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The problem with anymore than, say, a dozen, is that for the purpose of the films that's all you require.

But once you get to much more than that, it makes no difference whether it's 100, 1000, or 100,000, to the audience in the cinema "lots of Jedi" is "lots of Jedi" and that's all that matters to the movie script, which is why if you don't want it to feel like the PT, it cannot be 100, as it won't feel any different. Think about the PT: you could have told the exact same story if the Old Jedi Order had only been 100 people, because there aren't more than a handful of named characters featured in the movies.

Yes, yes, they're named in sourcebooks and novels and all the other supporting merchandise, but that's irrelevant to the film and the thousands of ordinary audiences who won't ever pay any attention to any of that stuff. For most people, you've got the Jedi Council, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Dooku, maybe a few dozen other redshirts who either die on Geonosis or the Generals seen killed during Order 66, and that's it; in a reference book, they could have claimed the Old Jedi Order was only 250 members, and it wouldn't have had any affect on the films or what the ordinary viewer got from them.

That's why if the ST is to feel any different, you can't have many more Jedi than one or two starfighter squadrons' worth or so, whose deaths can be meaningful, and it feel like their numbers are actually important, and that it's going to hit Luke hard if any of them are lost, because once you get to much more than 50, Jedi become expendable again, and you're right back to a PT storyline all over again where Jedi Knights are going to be getting killed in droves like it doesn't matter.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Post-RotJ is pretty nebulous. Do you mean circa Episode 7?

My preference? Few. Very few. But not 0. 10 or less?

But it doesn't matter to me. I trust Lucasfilm/Abrams/Kasdan to make however they decided it to be to be satisfying.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, I'd say very few.

Probably twelve, including Finn and whoever else, because Jesus symbolism.

Duguay likes this.
  11. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I didn't mean on screen at once. The only way I want a decent sized number is if Finn had to go to a training academy or something then you could see them walking by. I'drather have Jedi be a background detail. We should never see any fight outside of the main characters and they shouldn't be given story time. Honeslty, I'd prefer Jedi on screen to be like two or three. I just want some information saying Luke has trained people. Like maybe mention Jedi scouts or a Jedi fighter squadron. I don't want Jedi to play a large role, just a passing acknowledgementioned that some have been trained. Even if it's done through a novel. This thread didn't restrict answers to the films and so that would change my answer.

I feel like they could easily create an out of the way group of Jedi that has no impact on the films save for exposition. It could be made into important background information, but the Jedi themselves are never seen.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really hope Luke realizes his students shouldn't be Jedi at all. As far as in Luke's life time I hope it is only personal Pupils, a handful or so. If Rey becomes Torchbearer, let it grow to perhaps 3 dozen intialised members. Numbers aren't the be all, it's quality of instruction and degree of dedication that matters.

13. Abalore

Oct 19, 2001

Zorrixor likes this.
  14. Abalore

Oct 19, 2001
    Messed up the formatting there, and the edit function is working for me. Ah well.

15. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    You can do something new and interesting with the Jedi without keeping them gone. It's not an either or situation. And seriously I doubt they will do something new and interesting. If they go the no Jedi route, its more likely because they're trying to follow the OT rather than being inovative. Thats what scares me about no Jedi. I really think they may just copy the OT and not do anything new. The OT is my favorite but I don't want to repeat it. I highly doubt it will be new and exciting

I think it would be dissatisfiying if Luke doesn't train anyone. The purge should be undone, if it isn't then that whole aspect of the tragedy of EP is left. The Empire fell, Anakin has been redeemed, but no restoration of the Jedi isn't a complete solution. Also, Luke proclaimed himself a Jedi on ROTJ which signifies his comitment to the Jedi Order, which is strengthened by the title Return of the Jedi. Which indicates that after ROTJ the Jedi have symbolically returned. It follows then that they should actually return. The Jedi aren't just something to be done away with.

16. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I dunno. Like, seven? Gosh!

JoeBiWanKenobi likes this.
  17. Abalore

Oct 19, 2001
    I do agree--if Luke hasn't trained any Jedi, that would be somewhat unsatisfying. But then again, like I said, if the filmmakers go that route and they have a good reason for it and do it well, it won't bother me in the least.

I'm just along for the ride. As long as it's a good ride, I'll be happy :)

18. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    There should only be a handful of students trained personally by Luke. Probably no more than twenty. The reborn Jedi Order needs to stay small and personal to avoid the mistakes of the old Order.

Zorrixor likes this.
  19. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Then I don't know if we disagree much. I just want to know the Luke has trained some and there is progress towards rebuilding the Jedi Order. I want a few on screen (Luke, Finn, and possibly Leia and Rey and maybe a couple background characters that we see walking by, but have no role otherwise ) and maybe have it implied that there are others. I don't want a big Jedi Order, that wouldn't make much sense. I used the number 100 not as an expression of my desire but just as a maximum possible number. It's in my mind because thay was the EU number at this time. I don't want a repeat of the NJO, but numerically it's the first thing on my mind.

Abalore likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Noooooo

21. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I'm thinking it should be bigger than it will end up being in TFA.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No thousands of Jedi for several more centuries.

Zorrixor and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  23. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I'm hoping for more Jedi, but no centralized Jedi Order. Just a bunch of knight errants roaming the galaxy, righting wrongs and training Force-sensitives as they see fit.

'Course, I'm pretty sure that won't happen. But I'm still hoping, nevertheless.

24. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I'd be happy with that, for the most part. My one modification would be some sort of loose organization. Like Luke could have contact with them and may suggest missions if there's something really important and maybe the Jedi meet yearly or something to discuss the state of the galaxy. I think some organization is necessary becauss of the damage a rogue Jedi could do and because sometimes Jedi are needed for a specific task. Oherwise they operate on their own and help where they see fit. I like the idea of being a bunch of knight errants, but I would like some connection to eachother.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000